Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Crime Down?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Poor people are also likely to turn to drugs & booze as a means of coping with their situation. And the abuse of drugs & booze inevitably leads to more crime.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Your kids go hungry you’re gonna do what you gotta do.
    If I had met a Jean Valjean stealing for his kids, I'd have bought them groceries. People of any income level fell into two camps: work a lot/accept charity to feed kids, or just neglect them. I've seen a lot of both.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    One could wonder if the prevalence of concealed carry and the willingness to face shoot ne'r-do-wells influences those differences.
    I'm not sure how much longer that will be the case. Northern Virginia is on track to become DC entirely with all the consequences that entails. They're voting for the same kinds of politicians to hold prosecutorial and police power. They're just as hostile to 2nd amendment rights. In 2020 when the democrats took control of the legislature delegates from NOVA gleefully bandied about the possibility of violent confiscation of "assault weapons" door to door in the state house.

It's creeping south. It only looks good in comparison to DC, but it's getting worse all over various places in the state. In my part of Virginia they went nearly 20 years without a single police shooting. Now there are multiple shootings every year.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Philly got rid of its vagrancy laws which basically turned the previously nice sections into a petting zoo for the homeless. They did not mind their own business, unlike @BehindBlueI's exemplary unhoused denizens.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    One could wonder if the prevalence of concealed carry and the willingness to face shoot ne'r-do-wells influences those differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'm not sure how much longer that will be the case. Northern Virginia is on track to become DC entirely with all the consequences that entails.
    If I’m following correctly, TGS and BBI were talking about where BBI works, not NoVA. I could be wrong.

I'm not sure how much longer that will be the case. Northern Virginia is on track to become DC entirely with all the consequences that entails. They're voting for the same kinds of politicians to hold prosecutorial and police power. They're just as hostile to 2nd amendment rights. In 2020 when the democrats took control of the legislature delegates from NOVA gleefully bandied about the possibility of violent confiscation of "assault weapons" door to door in the state house.

It's creeping south. It only looks good in comparison to DC, but it's getting worse all over various places in the state. In my part of Virginia they went nearly 20 years without a single police shooting. Now there are multiple shootings every year.
    The loss of state preemption was probably the biggest hit in the gut, IMO. The preemption law power-checked a lot of politicians.

As for the shootings in your area, what is the population now vs 20 years ago? So many areas of Virginia have exploded in population over the last few decades which will naturally lead to an increase in crime.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I went to grad school in Richmond from 1993-1996. Back then I joked that "real" Virginia stopped at the Rappahannock River. Apparently the sewage has jumped the border and flooded everywhere.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Happiness will be the DC area in my rear view mirror.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Published community demographics showing percent of population below poverty level is an indicator of crime. It rises with increases in poverty. Within big cities, some neighborhoods have much higher crime stats than others. You can examine number of police calls by sections. Data give a breakdown of categories per section. This type reporting is done in my city. Also, when school is out, crime jumps.

A co-workers kids school had a field trip to DC all planned out for 2024. The scheduled trip was supposed to be next week but there has been so many parents say they're not letting there kid go now because of concerns about crime. So the entire school trip has been cancelled.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter

Richmond Metro, Tidewater, Roanoke and Charlottesville are not far behind, unfortunately.

User Tag List