Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: G19- still the standard?

I will add another yes vote. I think 2 other great "features" that rarely get mentioned are it's weight (for it's category) and cost of mags. I'm almost positive every g19 competitor is heavier and if there is one that is lighter it's only by an ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Many are only looking at it from a very limited scope of "concealability for them, in their environment, and lifestyle choices"

The question was asked if it was still "the go to" suggestion for a handgun that could cover ccw, home defense, and a duty role
    Everyone tends to look at things through their own prisms for sure. Upthread a comment was made that you had to be a bigger guy to conceal a Glock 19... which IME, isn't true. I'm not particularly tall, nor big (170lbs if I've eaten a nice steak that day), and I've concealed a Glock 19 of one sort or another for nearly 20 years. I generally don't wear fitted T-shirts, but I don't dress like a slob or wear huge "gun burkas" (hat tip to @Tamara) ... though you'll usually find me with some sort of patterned button down shirt in summer or flannel in the cooler months. Proper holsters, belts, and clothing selection makes concealing a G19 fairly easy.

I'm also not really willing to compromise shooting a smaller more easily concealable gun, like a 365. For most folks, they will shoot a Glock 19 better than that smaller gun, and that includes the bigger 365 variants. For some folks, that works, and their trade off comes out different. I will say I can shoot my G26 almost as well as a G19... and sometimes carry it instead of the bigger gun. But if I had to choose one or the other as my only pistol I'd take the 19 every time. I've shot a few 365 variants, and for me, they don't shoot as well as the old standby 19. That is absolutely not a knock on the 365, as they've turned out to be pretty awesome guns that work for a lot of folks. They fill a niche that a lot of folks think they need, and Sig will continue to sell a crap ton of them.

There are guns that are better for specific things, and some folks may have a preference for some other specific pistol, but I still firmly believe that the Glock 19 is firmly top of the heap as far as a general purpose jack of all trades sidearm for general issue to a wide variety of folks, when you take all it's qualities into account.

Is it the best gun ever or "Perfection" ? No. But its pretty damn good, and can be pressed into service and put to good use for probably 80-90% of uses... especially if one is willing to learn the quirks of shooting a Glock well.

I still think it’s the gold standard. The P365, IMO, is on the ragged edge of reliability and is less forgiving of grip, lack of lubrication, and not keeping up with mag spring changes. The G19 is also easier to shoot well, especially under stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    I've seen the 365 argument thrown around, but it doesn't compete anywhere near the 19 IMO. The base 365 doesn't even shoot as smoothly as a 43.
    Imo a base p365 shoots better than a g43 by a mile

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Imo a base p365 shoots better than a g43 by a mile
    Yeah I would have thought so too, but a few months ago my biddy brought his out and 3 of us all agreed the G43 with TTI +2s shot better. This last weekend he brought his out and I had my 43x frame on it and we again both agreed the 43x shot better. It is a bigger gun though.

I think his 365 is stock. Has some type of amerigloish sights on it. My 43/43x is stock as well, but has a Dawson adjustable rear and fiber front.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I will add another yes vote. I think 2 other great "features" that rarely get mentioned are it's weight (for it's category) and cost of mags. I'm almost positive every g19 competitor is heavier and if there is one that is lighter it's only by an ounce.
    For sure. As a reference my 5 shot 3" S&W 60-10 .357 J-frame revolver weighs roughly the same as my G19.5 w/RMR... fully loaded the Glock might be a little heavier, but it's also 3X the capacity, plus one. Size wise, they are similar. The .357 may carry easier, and be slightly more concealable. Not that a revolver is a competitor, but I've often made the comparison between those two guns in my head when deciding if it's a revolver day or not. The decisive power of the .357 only tips that scale when I'm heading to the hills or deserts. And you'll often find me packing the Glock anyway. The 19 just hits a sweet spot shootablity, capacity, concealability, durability, weather resistance, and utility wise. It may be a soulless piece of plastic and metal, but it's a really good one.

Glock mags have always been economical, and even Magpuls efforts to edge into that specific chunk of market have not always been as successful as they had probably hoped. I can't think of a major "Glock killer" that has mags cheaper, or the same price as a basic 19 or 17 magazine.They are not the smallest/thinnest, but they are semi-indesructible and most importantly they WORK... really really well. Continued backwards compatibility of most all Glock magazines, and the ability to use the larger mags across the smaller guns really is a good thing too. There are some exceptions in the slimline end (for the love of Pete 43/43X/48 WTF).

I asked myself...If not the G19, then what?

Couldn't really come up with anything that could fill those 3 roles better.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I still think it’s the gold standard. The P365, IMO, is on the ragged edge of reliability and is less forgiving of grip, lack of lubrication, and not keeping up with mag spring changes. The G19 is also easier to shoot well, especially under stress.
    For what it is worth my training p365 is on 20k rounds no cleaning last 9k rounds. No mag or recoil spring changes no issues (last 20k rounds)

However my competition p365 extractor broke at 2k rounds. So go figure.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Just one person's perspective...

Once I decided I was going to put my 43 and 43x on my permit, I really began to train with them. It did not take me long to realize that the 43 is just too small for my hands. It was very difficult to get a good grip and if I did not, I would get sloppy hits. I soon figured out that my 43 with +2's was the same length as my 43X so I began to focus on it. I ended up having similar experiences with the 43x with the added bonus of activating the slide lock with my trigger finger (I am a lefty) if I was not able to achieve a solid grip. Even with a solid grip, the gun is just too thin for my hands. It was all way too much drama for not much gained.

I am lucky in that I can conceal a 26 or 19 in shorts and a teeshirt. All of this together led me back to my 26/19 for daily carry.

As I have stated before, I am more comfortable with a full-sized duty style gun that with the compact. I want a bigger trigger pin, extractor, ejector, and locking block to name a few. I used to feel like I was in a shrinking group, but lately I have been noticing some mission creep on the little guys. The Sig has the 365 Macro and Springfield has the Hellcat Pro. Folks are adding compensators onto the slide to help the compact guns become more controllable. Now the compact guns are not so compact anymore. You end up with a gun that is similar in size to a full sized gun, but loaded with all the little gun parts. I am not knocking any of the compact guns and I love the fact that we have so many models to choose from. How a gun feels in the hand is one of the most important attributes, especially to new shooters. I think these are great times for pistol shooters.

Well back to the Glock 19. It has been proven all over the world by lots of different folks, friends and foes alike. It is robust, accurate, and balanced. What is lacks in aesthetics in more that makes up for in ascetics. So how does this all go back to the 19? Well I guess it is still the standard for me.

User Tag List