Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: G19- still the standard?

Site Supporter
    As someone who loves Glocks, especially double stack Glocks, and has carried a G19 a lot… the G19 is honestly no longer relevant as a carry gun for regular people compared to thinner options with equivalent capacity.

A G19 is still a great gun if you are willing to carry it and can conceal it, and it’s great for a gun you can both compete with and carry, but it just doesn’t carry as well in nice clothes or tee shirts as smaller options. Smaller Guns like the 365XL have finally caught up to the G19 (or very close) in terms of capacity, reliability, durability, and support.

You either have to be a big guy, live in a cold climate, or be really dedicated to carrying the larger gun for a G19 to actually make sense from a concealment to capability perspective.

For me, if I can *actually* conceal a G19 while chasing kids and doing things and walking in the wind (IE flannel season), then it’s just as easy to carry a 34. If I want to actually conceal in a tee shirt, I need to go to smaller gun and even better, Engima deep carry with the grip at the belt line.

I’ve been carrying G19 and larger guns in tee shirts for years, but it takes constant attention to the drape of my shirt etc which is in hindsight probably an obvious tell, and impossible with kids haha

For someone with an easier time concealing, it might make more sense. It’s definitely not the obvious “best compromise” available that it was for decades.

Since I can’t make peace with a no safety 365XL and thumb safeties don’t work for me at all, I’m most carrying a 43X with an SCD. A 365 is better on paper, but it’s a compromise. Without a reliable 15 round mag, the G42 almost makes more sense than the 43X. If I could find an SCD for my 42, it might replace the 43X.

A 43X frame like 1/4” shorter in the grip with a 42 slide and high capacity mag would be a superb carry gun to me.
    Last edited by Noah; 04-15-2024 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I heard an interesting line from a you-tuber the other day (I know) but I thought it may lead to an interesting conversation along the lines of the sig p229.

The glock 19, for many good reasons and for many years, was the go to suggestion for a handgun that could cover ccw, home defense, and a duty role if neeed. Is it still the baseline or has it become something 2nd to some other new standard?

I think you could begin to make the argument that the Sig 365 line is becoming the go to civilian pistol. Thoughts?
    Your question covers several aspects: concealment, home defense and duty if necessary. My reply is "yes" if one considers the applications you specified. Maybe someone can comment, but I am not aware of any organization that issues the 365 as a primary duty gun-but I could be wrong.
    This is PF, so many have their preferences. I prefer the G19MOS with P2 ACRO amd a WML. Sometimes I dismount the light if I'm shooting a daytime match.Occasionally I'll put an iron sighted slide if I put the 19 in an ankle holster for a long drive.Others may say they can do that with the 365-ok, fine. But as a general issue pistol, there's a lot to be said for the 19.
    Regarding a manual safety; over the past several weeks, I've been volunteering to run citizens through some shooting for their defensive aspirations to include themselves, family and fellow church members. These are good people but not the dedicated practitioners we have here. Out of around 10 who had lever safeties, e.g.,M&Ps, 1911s, a Ruger 9mm, etc, one-only one had trained to engage/disengage the safety. For the others, I'd say G19. JMO, etc.
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 04-15-2024 at 07:44 PM.

I had a Gen3 19 and a Gen5 19. But after trying a G45 the two 19’s were sold off and replaced with G45’s . To me the G45 just felt and shot better .

Compared to a Glock 19, lots of guns are easier to shoot well and conceal. What makes Glocks the "AR-15 of handguns" to me is they combine reliability, durability, simplicity, ease of service and troubleshooting, parts availability, industry support, and magazine compatibility with larger Glocks. As well, the Glock platform has a long history, so you know what you're getting and that the model will be around long term.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
    I had a Gen3 19 and a Gen5 19. But after trying a G45 the two 19’s were sold off and replaced with G45’s . To me the G45 just felt and shot better .
    Funny you say that. I don’t have a Gen 5 19 any more, but I do have a 45. And a 17… and a 26 or two… and a 43…
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Funny you say that. I don’t have a Gen 5 19 any more, but I do have a 45. And a 17… and a 26 or two… and a 43…
    This is the direction I’m heading due to wrist issues.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

If I were doing striker guns at this point I’d do the G26 MOS with a few spares. As it is I have 4 19’s and a Gen2 23 two of which are kept off site so I don’t have to fly with checked baggage. The thin-line guns are very squirmy for me, so I’ve never embraced the package. I was just about to pick up a standard G43 (as in posting “I’ll take it” on another forum) and I read HCM’s post discussing G43’s. Decided to stay with my Gen 1 PPS for ultra concealable.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
    My first Glock was a G45. My second was a G19G5. Both have SCDs, and the 19 has a Grip Anchor. I really like the G45, but the 19 w/Grip Anchor feels better and is the one that gets carried. I'm comfortable carrying a K frame so the two additional rounds in the G45 are a non-issue for me.

That's why they make different versions.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Many are only looking at it from a very limited scope of "concealability for them, in their environment, and lifestyle choices"

The question was asked if it was still "the go to" suggestion for a handgun that could cover ccw, home defense, and a duty role

For a handgun that can be used as a duty weapon, as well as fill the role as a CCW piece and Home Defense, I would say that the Glock 19 is still the gold standard. You may find a certain gun that does one thing better, such as CCW, another that is better at the role of being a duty gun, but for a handgun that can do all those roles and do them actually quite well, I would say you really are going to have a hard time saying that the G19 does not do those roles quite nicely.

I have used the G19 as a duty gun. Carried one as a CCW piece, and used it for HD, and I would say that it is a very effective tool. There is a reason why it has been tremendously popular with some parts of the military and .gov world.

Funny thing is that the G19 is my "small" gun (semi auto wise). I don't carry a P365 or a G43, or any of the micro compacts. Due to some events, I ended up adopting a thought process of "what is the smallest gun that I am willing to get into a standup gunfight against 1 and possibly 2 armed bad guys with. Performance wise, that answer has been the Glock 19. Any smaller, like the G26, and I just don't shoot anywhere near as fast or as accurately. My XL size hands have difficulty with the little gun. The G19 is where I found my comfortable minimum.

Others may see it differently.

Yep.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List