Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: G19- still the standard?

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    I spelled it all out in the post that you quoted, but perhaps I wasn't laconic enough.

Let's try an American approach. Imagine you're in a college, but instead of reading what people wrote in a scholarly paper, you are in front of a large screen that says:

P365 IS SMALLER

while underneath it says, in a smaller type:

yet it carries more ammo

An upbeat background music is playing in an endless loop.

Somehow this presentation makes my argument irrefutable. It's magic.
    Well at least you got to your points without all the extra word salad.

Smaller is better

More ammo better

Is that all?

What about some other comparisons?

- Cost (including magazines /parts / other accessories)
    - Reliability (including long-term)
    - User maintainable (ease of parts replacement)
    - Shootabiliity

I don't have a favorite outside what an individual prefers for their own reasons but I do think there might be other considerations besides "smaller and more ammo"

- Shootability

The answer might be a little different in California than in most other states. That's because:

- We're currently limited to Gen 3 Glock's on the roster.
    - And of course we're limited to 10-round magazines.

I'm told that some folks have had better success running carry ammo through Gen 5 G19s with 10-round mags. However I've seen many a Gen 3 G19 choke on JHP at local ranges. My old Gen 2 G19 never got through a 10-round magazine of JHP without a stoppage (it ran fine with standard capacity oem mags) and eventually I sold it. The scary part is that Glocks are still among the most common pistols I see at the range and most of those folks have never run anything but FMJ through them. When I ask if they've tested with carry ammo I get a blank look.

If someone asks for a recommendation, my standard response is that in California, a G26 is usually reliable but to test any larger 9mm Glock with carry ammo before seriously considering it as a carry piece.

This could all change. With the microstamping requirement being tossed we're finally seeing some things added to the roster that the rest of you have already had access to, including a P365 added fairly recently. There's nothing to stop Glock from offering a roster compliant Gen 5, they'd need to add a magazine disconnect if they chose to go that route. Sig, HK, and others are doing that. And of course we could eventually see the mag capacity limit tossed out, who knows if that will navigate the appeals process in my lifetime. Or Glock could design a 10-round magazine that consistently works as most of their competitors have already done. But unless/until some of those things happen, no I don't think a G19 is necessarily the standard in California and maybe not in some other states with capacity limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianjkeene View Post
    Macro still conceals better and is more comfortable to carry vs a g19 for me. I'd choose a Macro over the XL for a one-gun solution
    I really hate to contemplate just one gun, regardless of manufacturer, but a macro in tac ops form, along with a 365 grip module, is as close to a do everything solution as there is. Of course, a Glock 26 MOS is also pretty versatile.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBlunder View Post
    I found it by using the search feature (magnifying glass) in the upper right hand corner (not trying to be snarky, just helpful): Feelings
    Good get.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Yeah I wanna say the xls run too.

Friends wife use got two new glocka (g43x and g48).nothing but issues

Loves to hang up going back to battery. I can replicate the issue at will.on them
    IME all the 365 series guns run regardless of size. At least in 9mm. I can’t speak to the .380 version.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Glock 48 is …problematic.

The 365 Macro is in between the G19 and the XL, as is the G26. The difference being the majority of Macros and G26s actually run reliably.
    Is the 43x less "problematic"?

I have no idea if I answered already but if I did I'm changing my answer to a G26 MOS for a gun that can do duty / home defense / ccw.

I am going to bet the odds are crazy slim that someone buys a g19 and thinks this is just perfect for everything. 10 times out of ten they are going to want to venture into slim gun land and dip their toe in the water there. If a person is actually using a g19 for all 3 roles, they guaranteed have a bunch of holsters they tried, a bunch of guns they tested that are smaller and shoot like sh*t compared to a double stack Glock. So the one and done gun model came after much experience and experimentation.

The G26 has no problem flexing up to a duty role. Is the p365 in any configuration carried in any primary duty role? I'm actually curious if it passed any trials or tests by any agency? I'm ignorant to the gun as it has no interest to me so maybe it has.

If duty really means "duty" and not just a euphemism for reliable then I think finding one that someone is actually likely to carry everyday as a ccw is challenging (especially if they are not a firearms enthusiast) - a G26 is the easiest answer. If they like guns, then they are going to have a few and don't need to just have one anyway.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 04-24-2024 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    The G26 has no problem flexing up to a duty role. Is the p365 in any configuration carried in any primary duty role? I'm actually curious if it passed any trials or tests by any agency? I'm ignorant to the gun as it has no interest to me so maybe it has.
    It did not pass FBI’s testing, but has passed testing conducted by other agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I have no idea if I answered already but if I did I'm changing my answer to a G26 MOS for a gun that can do duty / home defense / ccw.

I am going to bet the odds are crazy slim that someone buys a g19 and thinks this is just perfect for everything. 10 times out of ten they are going to want to venture into slim gun land and dip their toe in the water there. If a person is actually using a g19 for all 3 roles, they guaranteed have a bunch of holsters they tried, a bunch of guns they tested that are smaller and shoot like sh*t compared to a double stack Glock. So the one and done gun model came after much experience and experimentation.

If duty really means "duty" and not just a euphemism for reliable then I think finding one that someone is actually likely to carry everyday as a ccw is challenging (especially if they are not a firearms enthusiast) - a G26 is the easiest answer. If they like guns, then they are going to have a few and don't need to just have one anyway.
    The P365 series is the most popular personally owned weapon at one of the largest federal LE agencies (approximately 14k gun carriers). I haven’t seen the exact testing requirements but someone involved in the testing told me the test samples successfully fired 10k rounds of the duty ammo (124gr +p Gold Dot). Every configuration other than the SAS and the ones with built in comps is approved (standard, X, XL, Macro).
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    The P365 series is the most popular personally owned weapon at one of the largest federal LE agencies (approximately 14k gun carriers). I haven’t seen the exact testing requirements but someone involved in the testing told me the test samples successfully fired 10k rounds of the duty ammo (124gr +p Gold Dot). Every configuration other than the SAS and the ones with built in comps is approved (standard, X, XL, Macro).
    Are agents required to buy a specific sku # directly from Sig?

User Tag List