Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: G19- still the standard?

Quote Originally Posted by TikritTourist View Post
    The first time one takes apart a Sig P-series or Sig polymer or a Springfield XD, etc.. you will be reminded just how brilliant and simple the Glock design is.
    This is one of the things that sold me on the M&P. Only slightly more complicated with the separate trigger and sear arrangement, but equally robust, better ergos and easier to shoot for me, for me, manual safety, etc. My only negative is their optic ready system seems like a recipe for shearing screws in higher recoiling calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lunker View Post
    My only negative is their optic ready system seems like a recipe for shearing screws in higher recoiling calibers.
    I only have the one with an SRO, and even though it is 9mm I decided I would do a direct mill just to start with what I perceive to be the best and simples (and lowest) setup.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    This thread keeps popping up and happen to coincide with a recent trip to a remote area of the desert which prompted me to think about where I carry.

As in geographical location not physical location on the body.

I am lucky to live in an area that is surrounded by local mountains and deserts. A large mountain range begins about four hours north and extends into an adjoining state. I love to travel on remote roads and explore open spaces. This last weekend, I took the family out to the Death Valley area. We spent about 8 hours in the most remote part exploring mines and cabins. I have been reacquainting myself with Glock 26 (similar enough to the 19), so that is what I chose to carry on this particular trip. Normally, you would find me with my 19 or 17 when I am in the outdoors. I carried spare ammunition in my Glock 17 magazines that work in all three guns. Now where does all this go.

I am very likely to be found in the mountains and the desert as much as the city. I feel much more comfortable with a gun built for heavy use in those places. Just like my vehicle, I want to take as many reasonable precautions to prevent breakdowns in remote areas. Thinking back to my previous post, that is why I like more durable guns. I like not having to switch guns if I am going out of town and from a practical standpoint, makes training much easier. As others have stated the simplicity of the Glock design makes repairs on the go a simple task. A small emergency parts kit can fix most things that break on Glocks.

If I lived in the city exclusively and were never more than a handful of blocks away from my domicile (that would theoretically have additional parts, ammunition, and magazines) I don't think this would be as big of a consideration for me.

Again, I am not knocking the new smaller, carry oriented guns, just highlighting that geographic location influences my thought process.

Here is a pick from the Mengel Pass for perspective.

Name:  IMG_8069.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  50.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Edit: I think maybe I misunderstood.

User Tag List