Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: G19- still the standard?

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    One thing a lot of people seem to forget about when it comes to "shootability," is how that translates into how much you'll train and/or practice.

I coordinated a private class for a dozen folks a couple of years ago and a young lady showed up with a G43 because it "fit her hand."

After only a few strings I could see she was struggling with the snappiness, so I loaned her a G19 and holster for the rest of the class. It was like night and day.

Seems to me if someone is buying their first handgun, and likely ONLY handgun at that point, it should be something they can and will train/practice with or they'll never develop the skills/proficiency they'll need if things ever go south. The G19 and other midsize 9s provide that. (Full size revolvers do too, but this is the semi-auto sub forum.)

Otherwise they just end up with a lucky charm to carry around to make themselves feel safer.
    “Liked,” and wish that I could give this ten thumbs-up. Hand-to-gun “fit” is, indeed, so very important, and that which fits in dry-fire/dry-handling conditions is NOT, necessarily how things will work in live fire. And, that which works for a short familiarization live-fire may not hold true for a high-round-count day.

I cannot recall how exactly how @HCM says it, but the way a weapon “feels” can “lie” to us.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Answering the OP’s question… yes. The G19 is still the standard.

I like to put it this way. If an average size person can only buy one pistol, that’s the Glock 19 in my opinion. Yes, that includes average size women.

The P365 XL is a close contender for sure. But I was giving a private lesson the other night and I swore the grip module he had was the standard 365 on the XL slide. Nope, it was the XL frame. It’s still a fairly small pistol. Either way… there’s no denying the 365 system is bad ass.

In between these… the Glock 48 is hard to beat too.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    Answering the OP’s question… yes. The G19 is still the standard.

I like to put it this way. If an average size person can only buy one pistol, that’s the Glock 19 in my opinion. Yes, that includes average size women.

The P365 XL is a close contender for sure. But I was giving a private lesson the other night and I swore the grip module he had was the standard 365 on the XL slide. Nope, it was the XL frame. It’s still a fairly small pistol. Either way… there’s no denying the 365 system is bad ass.

In between these… the Glock 48 is hard to beat too.
    The Glock 48 is …problematic.

The 365 Macro is in between the G19 and the XL, as is the G26. The difference being the majority of Macros and G26s actually run reliably.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    “Liked,” and wish that I could give this ten thumbs-up. Hand-to-gun “fit” is, indeed, so very important, and that which fits in dry-fire/dry-handling conditions is NOT, necessarily how things will work in live fire. And, that which works for a short familiarization live-fire may not hold true for a high-round-count day.

I cannot recall how exactly how @HCM says it, but the way a weapon “feels” can “lie” to us.
    The late Todd Louis Green, the founder of Pistol Forum had an excellent article entitled “Feelings Lie” on his Pistol-Training blog which preceded this forum. SLG has kept the P-T blog alive but unfortunately the Feelings Lie article is no longer on P-T.

Site Supporter

Feelings

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The late Todd Louis Green, the founder of Pistol Forum had an excellent article entitled “Feelings Lie” on his Pistol-Training blog which preceded this forum. SLG has kept the P-T blog alive but unfortunately the Feelings Lie article is no longer on P-T.
    I found it by using the search feature (magnifying glass) in the upper right hand corner (not trying to be snarky, just helpful): Feelings

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Glock 48 is …problematic.

The 365 Macro is in between the G19 and the XL, as is the G26. The difference being the majority of Macros and G26s actually run reliably.
    Yeah I wanna say the xls run too.

Friends wife use got two new glocka (g43x and g48).nothing but issues

Loves to hang up going back to battery. I can replicate the issue at will.on them

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I think you could begin to make the argument that the Sig 365 line is becoming the go to civilian pistol. Thoughts?
    The P365 platform offers some advantages, primarily being slimmer. The P365XL is also fractionally smaller than G19 in other dimensions and its basic optic setup is simpler than MOS. Newer versions keep the rear sight, too. However, the lack of a normal rail hurts it when flexing into HD duty. You need an Xmacro for that, at which point might as well just go with G19. Overall it's basically a bash.

I use P365 because it's significantly smaller than anything Glock offers in 9mm. The size is almost exact match for G42, although it's heavier. The little SIG outclasses anything from Glock by a distance between Earth and Moon, and it's better than any of its direct competitors. The only gun that can match it is perhaps Hellcat. But that's not a flexible niche that you're asking about. If I wanted a universal gun in G19 size, it would be a coin toss between G19 and P365XL.

Did you check how much the magazines for P365 sell for?

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    The P365 platform offers some advantages, primarily being slimmer. The P365XL is also fractionally smaller than G19 in other dimensions and its basic optic setup is simpler than MOS. Newer versions keep the rear sight, too. However, the lack of a normal rail hurts it when flexing into HD duty. You need an Xmacro for that, at which point might as well just go with G19. Overall it's basically a bash.

I use P365 because it's significantly smaller than anything Glock offers in 9mm. The size is almost exact match for G42, although it's heavier. The little SIG outclasses anything from Glock by a distance between Earth and Moon, and it's better than any of its direct competitors. The only gun that can match it is perhaps Hellcat. But that's not a flexible niche that you're asking about. If I wanted a universal gun in G19 size, it would be a coin toss between G19 and P365XL.

In what ways do you think it outclasses Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    In what ways do you think it outclasses Glock?
    I spelled it all out in the post that you quoted, but perhaps I wasn't laconic enough. Also, I assumed everyone knew the capacity numbers.

Let's try an American approach. Imagine you're in a college, but instead of reading what people wrote in a scholarly paper, you are in front of a large screen that says:

P365 IS SMALLER

while underneath it says, in a smaller type:

yet it carries more ammo

An upbeat background music is playing in an endless loop.

Somehow this presentation makes my argument irrefutable. It's magic.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post

Macro still conceals better and is more comfortable to carry vs a g19 for me. I'd choose a Macro over the XL for a one-gun solution

User Tag List