Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: G19- still the standard?

Well, for what it’s worth, I just “re-bought” a G19. I had traded-away my three Gen4 G19 pistols, in 2020, because they were getting to be too harsh on my arthritic right hand and wrist, whereas the taller grip of the G17 bridges all the way to the “heel bone” part of my hand, providing that additional point of FIRM contact, that makes ALL the difference, at least in my personal case. Since then, however, my healthier left hand has become much more important, in the carry equation, and there are niches that a G19 fits well. Plus, I have lefty G19 holsters, that are not made to fit Gen5. So, with what appeared to be a quite decent, pre-owned, little-fired Gen3 G19 at a local gun store, I exercised the credit card.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, for what it’s worth...
    Just when you think you are out... they pull you back in.

Dang, this thread hit 16 pages in less than two weeks!

I'd have to say that the G19 is still the "standard" by which others are judged in many ways, yes. But it's not really the "king" of the heap anymore. There are other makers/models that compete head-to-head with it and hold their own, so it's more of a committee of acceptable suggestions lol.

For me, I recently sold all my Glocks. I NEVER thought I'd see the day, if I'm being honest. I've carried either a G19 or a G48 almost daily for the last ~12 years, give or take. They worked, and worked well. I took a few classes, shot countless local comps, and never had a problem with them. But lately I've found my aging wrists don't tolerate the grip angle as well as they used to, especially with a more modern "heads-up" stance in use today. So, I sold them. Part of me misses them already, and part of me finally feels free to embrace what I've chosen to replace them. At the moment that's in reference only to the G19, as I've not yet acquired a replacement for the G48. I'm carrying a PX4CC right now, but it's not as svelte. Still waiting for a quality slimline DA/SA to hit the market...

Quote Originally Posted by centex View Post
    Or the LTT Grip Anchor, which effectively gives you a G45 length grip with no real detriment to concealment.
    Or I can be a man and buy a 10mm G40 lol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    Dang, this thread hit 16 pages in less than two weeks!

I'd have to say that the G19 is still the "standard" by which others are judged in many ways, yes. But it's not really the "king" of the heap anymore. There are other makers/models that compete head-to-head with it and hold their own, so it's more of a committee of acceptable suggestions lol.

For me, I recently sold all my Glocks. I NEVER thought I'd see the day, if I'm being honest. I've carried either a G19 or a G48 almost daily for the last ~12 years, give or take. They worked, and worked well. I took a few classes, shot countless local comps, and never had a problem with them. But lately I've found my aging wrists don't tolerate the grip angle as well as they used to, especially with a more modern "heads-up" stance in use today. So, I sold them. Part of me misses them already, and part of me finally feels free to embrace what I've chosen to replace them. At the moment that's in reference only to the G19, as I've not yet acquired a replacement for the G48. I'm carrying a PX4CC right now, but it's not as svelte. Still waiting for a quality slimline DA/SA to hit the market...
    You’ll be waiting a long time. DA/SA is a declining market.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Just when you think you are out... they pull you back in.
    True. I had already bought back into the G26, a couple of years ago, after having sold the one I had, to a young rookie colleague, in the darkest twilight of my LEO-ing career, late 2017. (Its main role had been my ankle holster gun, while in uniform.) Now, I am back to having a G19. Of course, I had never left 9mm Glocks, actually upping my herd of G17 pistols, and adding a G19x.

I had traded-away my G19 pistols, in 2020, to enable acquiring more K-Frame snubby revolvers. Long-stroke double-action is my least-perishable trigger-pulling skill. Gradually, however, it started becoming apparent that long-stroke DA trigger-pulling is starting to vex my aging right index finger, with a notable worsening just this year. I feel it in my left index finger, too, just not nearly as bad, yet. So, a shorter, lighter trigger stroke regains its importance, in my life.

Thankfully, when I was pounding my hands, with big-bore Magnums, back in the Eighties, I was mostly shooting right-handed*. I write lefty, so, when I adopted the Glock system, in 2002, this strange, new-to-me system tended to be a better performer in my left hand; not enough to prompt me to transition to left-side carry, at the time, but a fortuitous thing, now, in my sixties, with my right hand just about worn-out.

*I could not legally carry handguns, in Texas, until I had been sworn-in as a peace officer. I had not grown-up around handguns. So, I was a mostly-clean slate, when I started duty handgun training, during the police academy, in 1983/1984. Drawing the then-mandated S&W L-Frame from the then-mandated low-slung duty holster was not unlike throwing underhanded. So, though I born to write lefty, I was born to throw right-handed, and long-stroke DA seemed to work well, with either hand, so, I established right-side carry. I did train lefty, too, but concentrated on shooting smaller “back-up” guns, such as S&W J-Frames, lefty. I phased-out the big bore Magnums, by 1990, but, long-term damage had been done, and would start returning, to vex me, by age 50, in 2011.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You’ll be waiting a long time. DA/SA is a declining market.
    Oh, I know it’s a pipe dream. The ellipsis is supposed to suggest that my waiting will go on forever lol. Since I do have a few full-size M&Ps, I’ll probably end up with either a Shield Plus (if I’m willing to go with a handgun having a shorty grip that uses mag spacers for a full-grip), or I’ll go with some version of a P365XL or Macro if I want slim with a full grip. Or I may just wind up happy enough with the PX4CC that I adapt my gear to deeper carry when needed (a la Enigma or something).

But back to the OP, I still recommend the G19 (as well as a few others) to new shooters if they feel it fits them. It’s the “easy button” of nee handgun purchases.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Compared to a Glock 19, lots of guns are easier to shoot well and conceal. What makes Glocks the "AR-15 of handguns" to me is they combine reliability, durability, simplicity, ease of service and troubleshooting, parts availability, industry support, and magazine compatibility with larger Glocks. As well, the Glock platform has a long history, so you know what you're getting and that the model will be around long term.
    This!! Many people tend to overlook that Glock might not be the "best" at any one thing, but it is the overall package that keeps Glock on top of the heap, IMO.
    The first time one takes apart a Sig P-series or Sig polymer or a Springfield XD, etc.. you will be reminded just how brilliant and simple the Glock design is.

I love the 1911 and revolvers, but give me a Glock for "serious" use.

Quote Originally Posted by TikritTourist View Post
    This!! Many people tend to overlook that Glock might not be the "best" at any one thing, but it is the overall package that keeps Glock on top of the heap, IMO.
    The first time one takes apart a Sig P-series or Sig polymer or a Springfield XD, etc.. you will be reminded just how brilliant and simple the Glock design is.

I love the 1911 and revolvers, but give me a Glock for "serious" use.
    That’s one of the things I admire most about Glock - at the end of the day, they are glorified zip guns.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That’s one of the things I admire most about Glock - at the end of the day, they are glorified zip guns.
    Yet somehow, they can be shot just as well as anything when you consult the timer and paper, and they’re about the safest and most vetted striker fired pistols. Often copied, but somehow never as simply and still not truly better.

User Tag List