Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Milling, BUIS & Compact Red Dot Choices

1911 Milling, BUIS & Compact Red Dot Choices

I've got a few 1911's I'd like to put some red dots on.

My question about using irons:

I'd very much like to get a usable, low profile (~1/16th of irons showing in the window) irons sight picture using a Harrison Yost front sight blank . On my factory G19 with FCD plate & RMR the Ameriglo GL-429 provided the sight picture I wanted.

As for rear sight options, I prefer the rear sight behind the optic but am not hard set on it. All options being available I'd choose the Harrison Retro rear sight to go behind the optic.

Is this do-able? If not, what's the closest I can get to that particular configuration?

My question about RDS:

I want to avoid using a plate (because I don't like the Trijicon rear sight plate option), I'm thinking a direct mill for a compact RDS is my best option. To the best of my research/knowledge my options are a Trijicon RMR CC or a Holosun 507k. What is the P-F opinion on which is the better optic?

On milling:

Knowing what I'm hoping to go with, whose services do you suggest?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Following. I had Rolls Royce (Nighthawk) give me a quote for their system on one of my ECPs, I’d like to see what normal options are recommended.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I’d recommend anything using the K footprint over the RMRcc just because it’s more likely you will have new optics available to you as technology improves. That footprint isn’t going anywhere, whereas the cc footprint is proprietary and will likely stay that way. I also personally would (and did) take an EPS Carry over an RMRcc regardless. No removing the optic to change batteries, enclosed emitter, reticle choices.

I think the optic is going to occupy the space where a 1911 will already have its rear sight, but maybe it’s possible to put a new mil spec dovetail in behind it for the Harrison sight. I think it would only need to have enough room between the back of the optic and the firing pin stop.

I’d recommend looking at Impact Machine, who did my work, or Green Tick Tactical, CHPWS, or Vulcan Machine Werks.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I’d recommend anything using the K footprint over the RMRcc just because it’s more likely you will have new optics available to you as technology improves. That footprint isn’t going anywhere, whereas the cc footprint is proprietary and will likely stay that way. I also personally would (and did) take an EPS Carry over an RMRcc regardless. No removing the optic to change batteries, enclosed emitter, reticle choices.

I think the optic is going to occupy the space where a 1911 will already have its rear sight, but maybe it’s possible to put a new mil spec dovetail in behind it for the Harrison sight. I think it would only need to have enough room between the back of the optic and the firing pin stop.

I’d recommend looking at Impact Machine, who did my work, or Green Tick Tactical, CHPWS, or Vulcan Machine Werks.
    How timely this thread is as I'm looking at options for red dots on a couple of my 1911s.
    Does the Holosun K footprint offer the most options for different red dot sights like the EPS?
    What other sights fit the 507K pattern footprint besides the EPS and 507K?

I'm looking at the Chambers Custom RDSM plate system and they offer plates for RMR, 507k, ACRO, and 509T separately. That seems like a good option for future optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    How timely this thread is as I'm looking at options for red dots on a couple of my 1911s.
    Does the Holosun K footprint offer the most options for different red dot sights like the EPS?
    What other sights fit the 507K pattern footprint besides the EPS and 507K?

I'm looking at the Chambers Custom RDSM plate system and they offer plates for RMR, 507k, ACRO, and 509T separately. That seems like a good option for future optics.
    I looked at that one too, but...

RDSM™ Plate is not compatible with the following:

-Pistols with an external extractor.

-Pistols with a firing pin safety.

-Slides cut for other manufacturers red dot plates.
    Bummer for me that my main carry 1911 has the Series 80 FPS (which I view as a good thing as an AIWB carrier).

I’m not aware of anyone who can mill a 1911 and keep the drop safety. Impact and Green Tick will work on those guns but they’re clear that you’re ditching the S80 safety when you send it to them.

The Holosun 407K and 507K, both EPS versions, their new K footprint SCS, the RMSc, some Sig optics, and various other compact size dots all fit the K footprint. Basically everything in that size class that isn’t the RMRcc.

@Elwin

I didn't know that about the S80 FPS + milling, thanks for that tidbit of info!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    @Elwin

I didn't know that about the S80 FPS + milling, thanks for that tidbit of info!
    No problem. For what it’s worth, the new Sig 1911x comes direct milled for K footprint optics and is S80 - I assume Sig was able to do this because it’s designed from the ground up to be an optics gun, but I suppose it may be that someone else could mill a gun for the compact optics and keep the S80 bits. Also for what it’s worth, I have no qualms personally carrying a 1911 AIWB using an extra power firing pin spring. A 9mm firing pin is nice too but obviously not an option for all guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    No problem. For what it’s worth, the new Sig 1911x comes direct milled for K footprint optics and is S80 - I assume Sig was able to do this because it’s designed from the ground up to be an optics gun, but I suppose it may be that someone else could mill a gun for the compact optics and keep the S80 bits. Also for what it’s worth, I have no qualms personally carrying a 1911 AIWB using an extra power firing pin spring. A 9mm firing pin is nice too but obviously not an option for all guns.
    @Tokarev, does the underside of your 1911X slide look like a typical S80?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    @Tokarev, does the underside of your 1911X slide look like a typical S80?
    Yes.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

User Tag List