Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF AR 10 or AR 15?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If you read the article, the ammunition he was using in the 556 was not appropriate for medium size game. Ammunition selection for a small caliber is certainly more critical than a larger caliber.

Almost seems like he was looking for evidence to support a conclusion.
    That's true, he did say he used M855 ammo

EDIT:

A comment from a reader posted below the above linked article asked

"John, thanks for article. Does 77grain 5.56 change your conclusion? Does age of person cause you to reconsider 5.56? Thanks"

Nope. Nope. See this week’s article.
    Which is https://www.patreon.com/posts/buildi...date, Part Two
    Last edited by Jay585; 04-14-2024 at 06:48 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Reading the whole article, John goes on to talk about pest control on his ranch/farm, not hunting. I'd quote more of it, but I'm not certain it's appropriate. He does mention having to shoot a fox (it was raiding his feed bin or something like that) 3 times with a 5.56, even though the first two hits were in the vitals (according to him).

And since OP said "Live in a Rual area open space westside farmland not in use." this information seemed applicable to his surroundings.
    I’ve piled up dozens of whitetails and well over 100 wild hogs with 5.56. 77 SMK, 73 ELDM work great. I’ve killed charging hogs so close I had to side step when they fell stone dead at my feet. I’ve also shot some that I never recovered. Bullet placement matters more than anything.

A short barreled (16”) .308 is not some long range king. .308 out of 20”+ barrels struggles past 600 yards.

If you want a rifle for self defense, an AR-15 in 5.56 is the only realistic choice. You don’t need a heavier rifle, with heavier ammo and lower capacity. If on the other hand you just want a rifle for shooting stuff, then get whatever you want. I can make reliable and repeatable hits 400 yards and in with a 5.56. If I realistically need more range than that, I’d rather use a bolt gun in 6.5 CM.
    Last edited by msstate56; 04-14-2024 at 07:01 PM.

That's true, he did say he used M855 ammo

EDIT:

A comment from a reader posted below the above linked article asked

Which is https://www.patreon.com/posts/buildi...date, Part Two
    Still doesn’t change the Clickbait-yness of the article , about a 50yo argument rehashed about 5.56

Reading the whole article, John goes on to talk about pest control on his ranch/farm, not hunting. I'd quote more of it, but I'm not certain it's appropriate. He does mention having to shoot a fox (it was raiding his feed bin or something like that) 3 times with a 5.56, even though the first two hits were in the vitals (according to him).

And since OP said "Live in a Rual area open space westside farmland not in use." this information seemed applicable to his surroundings.

I've shot a very large amount of predators up to deer with 223/556. If I had a scoped 556 and a scoped 308 right next to the door and the fox was within 300 yards I'd grab the 556 every time. I really can't imagine people struggling with 556 on a fox with good hits.

A 308 on small predators is, well. This.
    165gr game king at 150 yards
    Name:  KIMG0391_JPG-820377.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  45.0 KB

And unless we're fighting an invading army or zombies or night runners I'll probably grab a M1 or 1903 for stepping out of my house.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    I’ve piled up dozens of whitetails and well over 100 wild hogs with 5.56. 77 SMK, 73 ELDM work great. I’ve killed charging hogs so close I had to side step when they fell stone dead at my feet. I’ve also shot some that I never recovered. Bullet placement matters more than anything.

A short barreled (16”) .308 is not some long range king. .308 out of 20”+ barrels struggles past 600 yards.

If you want a rifle for self defense, an AR-15 in 5.56 is the only realistic choice. You don’t need a heavier rifle, with heavier ammo and lower capacity. If on the other hand you just want a rifle for shooting stuff, then get whatever you want. I can make reliable and repeatable hits 400 yards and in with a 5.56. If I realistically need more range than that, I’d rather use a bolt gun in 6.5 CM.

I've had a couple failures on deer with 62gr sp and 75/77gr bthp. I'll cull deer with it from a stand but I don't consider it a round to hunt deer with.

This past season I did hunt with 77gr tmk but couldnt get a shot. I'm willing to try the tmk as it's newer than my conclusion.

Maybe the OP can clarify if this rifle will be used for people or animals.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    What platform do your neighbors use?
    Most have 556 AR's and some hunting rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've had a couple failures on deer with 62gr sp and 75/77gr bthp. I'll cull deer with it from a stand but I don't consider it a round to hunt deer with.

This past season I did hunt with 77gr tmk but couldnt get a shot. I'm willing to try the tmk as it's newer than my conclusion.

People if things go to hell ... the what if situation ...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

I think we are getting off in the weeds a bit, but from my own experience- 73 ELDM and 77 TMK are a big improvement in 5.56 lethality. That said, any caliber can have a failure if it’s a poor shot (but nobody ever makes those). I’ve seen multiple deer and elk not be recovered after shots with .300 magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    Sounds like you don't have either rifle at this time. For the reasons others have mentioned, I'd recommend the AR 15. If you feel that you need a .308 or similar cartridge, a good bolt gun would probably be a better option.
    I own and train with a Geissele Super Duty and a DDM4V7 and a Smith & Wesson MP-15TS 5.56mm.

You did not read what I wrote I said I had a lot of range and defensive ammo in 223/556 on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    If you have to follow a budget path then the 308 is probably not the right answer. (Based on your ammo comment.) I favor the 308 for the role you present. BUT, i would choose say a 6920/BCM/insert quality ar15 here, over a mediocre ar10 every day of the week!!!
    No Budget looking at a DD5®V3® (7.62 X 51MM) or a Sig 716I TREAD they seem to be very reliable.

User Tag List