Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: SHTF AR 10 or AR 15?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    My interest in a reliable, durable semi-auto .308 is more in the context of an all-around rifle than purely a fighting rifle, to include hunting of medium-to-large quadrupeds. 5.56/.223 can do the job with judicious ammo selection and good shot placement, but in my observation, the larger calibers do better. So I could see the attraction in a truly reliable, durable .308 as a general purpose rifle to serve all needs including taking down medium-to-large animals.
    There is no free lunch.

“All around” solutions are always compromises.

If you want “hunting rifle” capability for stuff bigger than people you gotta give something up to get that.

You can have a fighting rifle you can kind of hunt with or a hunting rifle you can kind of fight with.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-19-2024 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Lol.
    Come on man - if we're talking a .308 Battle Rifle - how can you not mention the short-lived, never really effective in combat and quickly supplanted, but glorious M1A? A rifle that demonstrates what a real rifle is not like those poodle shooter 5.56 guns.

--

Again why anyone would willingly choose .308 in 2024 when there are superior calibers and rounds that are better multi-purpose cartridges - is absolutely a mystery to me.

6.5CM is available in virtually every .308-caliber platform and offers superior performance in every single category.

IIRC the 308 will have superior energy in short to medium range. So if thats a factor in selection, it might be notable. Barrel life would be another. But if precision DMR thought process is the objective, yes Id go 6.5. I think I got my GA Precision Gas gun in .260 rem around 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dremel Customs View Post
    Not a high volume rifle shooter but I was under the impression that barrel life of 5.56 and .308 were about the same? Maybe it depends on how 'barrel life' is defined.
    You are correct, it depends entirely how it is defined and what the starting condition is.
    It is not at all uncommon for a good quality CHF 5.56 barrel to maintain acceptable performance in excess of 20,000 rounds. In .308 that will generally be closer to 10-15k, but *generally* speaking the precision requirement will be different between the 2 systems, causing the .308 to "fail" first.
    -But that depends a lot on firing schedule, firing rate, maintenance, and performance requirement.
    If both barrels are precision-oriented 416R, and maintained and treated as precision barrels, overall life before unacceptable precision loss will be pretty similar between 5.56 and .308.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Again why anyone would willingly choose .308 in 2024 when there are superior calibers and rounds that are better multi-purpose cartridges - is absolutely a mystery to me.
    6.5CM is available in virtually every .308-caliber platform and offers superior performance in every single category.
    I have to agree here. I currently only have 1 .308 upper, and that's mostly in case I am required to shoot .308 for some reason. I am a big fan of 16" 6.5 Creedmoor gas-guns. They deliver what we all wanted with a 16" .308. And really, a 14.5" 6.5 is pretty darn handy with an LPVO.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    My first good AR was a DD M4V3 with an Aimpoint T-1. During the time I had it, I did a few minor things:

1. Changed out the A2 grip for a Magpul MOE grip and an MOE Enhanced triggerguard (in FDE)
    2. Changed out the MOE stock for a CTR (again in FDE)
    3. Changed to a BCM Gunfighter ambi charging handle
    4. Added a BFG Vickers sling
    5. Added an Arisaka/Malkoff/Surefire "Frankenscoutlight."

I was pleased as punch with the complete rig (which I had to scrimp to put together at the time) even though it was pretty ho-hum to the cognoscenti. Looking back, if I had simply kept it instead of looking for ever greener pastures and trying to keep up with certain trends, I would have been money ahead and saved myself a lot of fretting. It would still do what I wanted it to do around 2011, which is - unsurprisingly - what I would need it to do now.

At 65+ I have become the weakest link in my SHTF survival chain. I'll have a heart attack or break something important before my choice of rifle/carbine caliber becomes an issue.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Long enough for me to find a Twinkie.
    "I was the only one left on the planet after the holocaust, eh...
    There wasn't much to do. All the bowling alleys had been wrecked. So's I spent most of my time looking for beer."

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    We camp in what passes for remote areas in Ohio and have had issues prompting me to have a hunting rifle that can be used for gun fighting
    BobM - Interested in your choice for this. Thanks.

I am a HUGE FAL fanboy, and when surplus 7.62 was a thing I loved shooting my DSA in action rifle matches.

but I don't think they are really adaptable to the wants and innovations of the modern semi-auto (but I admire DSA for trying).

Not gonna lie, though; having looked that thing up, I really want one of these now...

Name:  17121_1_.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  16.9 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I am a HUGE FAL fanboy, and when surplus 7.62 was a thing I loved shooting my DSA in action rifle matches.

but I don't think they are really adaptable to the wants and innovations of the modern semi-auto (but I admire DSA for trying).

Not gonna lie, though; having looked that thing up, I really want one of these now...

Name:  17121_1_.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  16.9 KB

You’re getting soft! Letting sentiment and coolness rule over cold hard facts and a spreadsheet…

At least we will get killed in the streets together!

User Tag List