Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conditioning workouts

Conditioning workouts

Recent posts in the weightlifting thread reminded me I wanted to talk about more conditioning oriented workouts. Until a month or two ago I was lifting three times a week, and getting in hour long rucking, rowing, or walking sessions at least three times a week also. I recently switched to two lifting sessions and replaced one with intervals on the rower weekly. I generally finish Mondays deadlift and bench session with prowler pushing, and on another day have been doing some kettlebell swings alternating with ball slams.

I’d like to hear other ideas. I also have some sandbags, sledgehammers, etc. I had a combine tire to flip at a gym I used to use and wouldn’t mind getting one at my house.

Site Supporter
    I do kettlebell suitcase carries up and down multiple flights of stairs, taking 2 or 3 steps at a time and switching sides every so often. Carrying the weight on just one side forces me to brace my core and keep an upright posture, in addition to the cardio benefits. Good for grip strength, too.

I also do hill sprints on a short but steep hill, focusing on maximum effort and pumping my arms hard enough to feel the liquid blood rushing to my hands with each step.

I have been doing the 5x5 strength program, which puts me in for about 50 min weights three times a week. It is hard to be consistent, but I always make two minimum. I also do Zone 2 3-4 days week 60-90 min, and try to get a V02 max session in 2-3 x week. I may cut back on my zone 2 as I meet that threshold when I lift on lifting days.

I am at a plateau on fat loss, which is frustrating. I really think paradoxically I am under eating and thus not burning fat, though I continue to increase my weight load. I have been keeping a good food diary for a couple weeks and am going to see sports medicine nutritionist to parse things out.

Personally, I would like to be about “intermediate” on strength standards, and good for 5, 5min rounds from v02 max standpoint.

Good stuff.

This is of particular interest for me right now as I rehab a right forearm I damaged a few weeks back and which is limiting my ability to lift much without pain or swing kettlebells. (Using sandbags and relatively light dumbbells at the moment.)

So frustrating when setbacks happen. C'est la vie.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

To me function fitness along the lines of what this guy Link talks about is the biggest advance it fitness in ages especially as aging becomes a consideration. Also HIIT High Intensity Interval Training type workouts with plenty of recovery time and getting roughly 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight daily. This guy posts primarily on IG and I follow what he's doing and incorporate it into my workouts Anthony Diaz
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

The Tactical Barbell Conditioning book is very good, full of ideas for session ideas. Their programming, especially the resistance training, gets unnecessarily complex, but the conditioning work is solid, as is the basics of the strength work.

For more ideas of mixed modality, MythicalStrength's book is a good look into the mind of a non-conventional thinker who is very strong, very jacked, and very fit:

https://mythicalstrength.blogspot.co...lease.html?m=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/...cal_strengths/

I still think Larry's thread on LSS (Long Slow Speed) training, or Maffetone work, was one of the best resources. It was on TPI, which seems down for me now.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    The Tactical Barbell Conditioning book is very good, full of ideas for session ideas. Their programming, especially the resistance training, gets unnecessarily complex, but the conditioning work is solid, as is the basics of the strength work.

For more ideas of mixed modality, MythicalStrength's book is a good look into the mind of a non-conventional thinker who is very strong, very jacked, and very fit:

https://mythicalstrength.blogspot.co...lease.html?m=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/...cal_strengths/

I still think Larry's thread on LSS (Long Slow Speed) training, or Maffetone work, was one of the best resources. It was on TPI, which seems down for me now.
    I think it's still available by his blog but will have to find that link to be sure.

https://pointdriventraining.com/category/training/
    Last edited by Crashpad; 04-15-2024 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashpad View Post
    I think it's still available by his blog but will have to find that link to be sure.

https://pointdriventraining.com/category/training/
    Good call: https://pointdriventraining.com/2016...base-with-lsd/
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Site Supporter
    I am maybe becoming a fan of kettelbells and long slow duration cardio.

Not having done any trap bar deadlifts in what like 2 years? I went back to the gym the other day and picked up way WAY more weight than I've ever done, without a belt or anything.

I'm looking basically for something that will help prevent injury in BJJ, strengthen my body for greater speed when running a marathon, and still giving me some strength so I won't get injured at my job. The KB swing with a 35lb bell seems to be working so far...I'm also doing a KB shoulder press to work on rehabbing my (always) busted up left shoulder from my having been an idiot one time and not tapping to an Americana.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I am maybe becoming a fan of kettelbells and long slow duration cardio.

Not having done any trap bar deadlifts in what like 2 years? I went back to the gym the other day and picked up way WAY more weight than I've ever done, without a belt or anything.

I'm looking basically for something that will help prevent injury in BJJ, strengthen my body for greater speed when running a marathon, and still giving me some strength so I won't get injured at my job. The KB swing with a 35lb bell seems to be working so far...I'm also doing a KB shoulder press to work on rehabbing my (always) busted up left shoulder from my having been an idiot one time and not tapping to an Americana.
    Interesting...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List