Thread: What kind of drill bit for pinned front sight install?

What kind of drill bit for pinned front sight install?

Picked up a Dawson FO for my 686+ and I need to drill the hole for the pin. The instructions say to use a #54 (IIRC) but I’m curious if I should go with a HSS bit, cobalt coated bit or something else. I need something that will do the job quickly because 1/16” bits and punches don’t seem to have very long lifespans around me…🙄
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Picked up a Dawson FO for my 686+ and I need to drill the hole for the pin. The instructions say to use a #54 (IIRC) but I’m curious if I should go with a HSS bit, cobalt coated bit or something else. I need something that will do the job quickly because 1/16” bits and punches don’t seem to have very long lifespans around me…🙄
    I do not think you need anything special, but I have not done that many. I do know I buggered up my Super Blackhawk and had to bump up to a larger pin.
    You probably know this, but you wanna drill in from both sides so the hole meets in the middle.

Yeah, I’ve learned that the hard way once or twice!🤣

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Call Dawson - they are quite helpful.

Drill quality (which often relates to origin) will be more important than coatings or if it is hss vs cobalt. Cheap Chinese drill bits are seldom a bargain. From my limited experience, drilling and swapping 1 s&w dawson front sight, the steel doesn't present any special machining problems. If you are using a mill (or even a drill press with a spindle that is true to the table) it is a very fast /easy job.
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Turned out to be easier than I expected! Working a little bit from each side took less than 5 minutes total. I probably spent longer getting things set up after turning it each time than the actual drilling.

Name:  IMG_2263.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  34.6 KB

Turned out to be easier than I expected! Working a little bit from each side took less than 5 minutes total. I probably spent longer getting things set up after turning it each time than the actual drilling.

Name:  IMG_2263.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  34.6 KB
    Glad it went as drama free as mine did. I am still amazed how comfortable a 3" L frame is in JMCK aiwb rig...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    I am still amazed how comfortable a 3" L frame is in JMCK aiwb rig...
    I haven't cleared the "If I'm going to carry something the size and weight of a G19, I might as well carry a G19" mental hurdle yet but I'm trying.

User Tag List