Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Hockey Tape Users?

Site Supporter
    I like Howie's Pro (non-stretchy) - happy to let you run some.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    This was popular with some Kel-Tec shooters in past years. I have no personal experience but am thinking of trying it.

https://www.brookstactical.com/

https://www.brookstactical.com/Pages/fitlist.html
    I've used those before on a few Glocks. It works okay and is certainly comfortable to carry. The one issue I had is, the adhesive seems to be a bit lackluster and it seems to always want to shift around ever so slightly. It's been a decade but, I think I remember running it either in a class or maybe just a hot range day. Multiple times I'd have it shift and interfere with the mag release or preventing the mag from dropping free.

Take my words with a grain, as it's been awhile. That was also on more than one occasion, and with well-worn, fairly slick, Gen2 G19 and G17 frames. I'm sure it would fair better on Gen3-4 or anything else with finger grooves or an otherwise grippier frame to begin with.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I like Howie's Pro (non-stretchy) - happy to let you run some.
    +1 for this

I ordered a roll of Howie's Pro as well as their standard cloth hockey tape to experiment with. The Pro is way better for grip. I have it on my carry p365. I used the regular stuff to build up an area on the rear of the grip and then wrapped it with Pro for the superior texture.

I plan to experiment with it on different pistols in the future if I ever get enough spare time.

I’ve had good luck with rock tape.

Jason

Site Supporter
    Another Howie's user here. I haven't tried the pro yet but I might at some point, but the regular stuff worked well for me. First major use of it was at the Sage class I took back in February and it worked pretty well. We'll see how it does in the summer down here, but it's promising.
    Name:  Photo Feb 19 2024, 08 37 30 - Resize.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  50.1 KB
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    Thanks!, looks like I'll put in an order

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    +1 for this

I ordered a roll of Howie's Pro as well as their standard cloth hockey tape to experiment with. The Pro is way better for grip. I have it on my carry p365. I used the regular stuff to build up an area on the rear of the grip and then wrapped it with Pro for the superior texture.

I plan to experiment with it on different pistols in the future if I ever get enough spare time.
    I use Howies pro tape on my G19 Gen 3, G43 and an old Rossi revolver.
    Very secure grip. I really like it. Makes a huge difference.
    My only issue with it is my fingers can have a bit of hesitation wrapping around the front of the grip on the bigger G19 and sometimes I wind up with a suboptimal grip. I’m training my way through it and it’s getting easier to establish a deep secure finger placement.
    On a fat gun like a 19 it’s almost too grippy.

I tried and hated it.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Hockey tape has always seems like a good idea but it’s pretty useless in practicality. It’s made for a hockey stick. Not a gun.

Anybody want to slather pine tar on their gun?

I've used hockey tape and it's ok. Definitely better then nothing, but not a ton of traction. I still have some on my 17L as I've been too lazy to replace it, but otherwise I no longer use it for anything other then Bic lighters.

Best Ive used though is the Grip Bands from Gearward (they also make the best Ranger Bands for slings I've ever used)

For $10 you get 3, so a lot cheaper than talon grips, and no glue to come loose. I found they were difficult to get on, but once installed they never budged. Nice and thin, but still grippy. I've had one on one of my pistols for 7-8 years now without it breaking, surviving multiple summers in a car in vegas (120+ degrees.) They are thicker and nicer than bike inner tube.

They come extra long, with a supplied razor blade to trim the grip to the exact length of your pistol.

User Tag List