Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP PLEASE --one 9mm pistol for carry, range, and HD!

Non compensated macro

Xl slide on macro frame. Tac ops I guess?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    For me, daily carry is the most important facet of gun ownership. I’d much rather press a carry gun into an HD role than try to carry a gun I can’t conceal.

Therefore, the answer will completely depend on what YOU can comfortably and confidently carry everyday.

If you can comfortably carry and conceal a G19 or larger pistol, then there’s no reason not to get whatever double stack service 9mm you like the most.

If you can’t, and many can’t, look at a slimmer pistol. 365 series is the default answer. As many others have said, a Macro gives up little or nothing in shootability and capacity to a larger gun anyway, AND can be sized down easily.

I’m very partial to the Glock trigger system/SCD so my one gun solution would be a Glock 43X and roll the dice on high cap aftermarket mags until something worked, or just live with 10 round OEM.
    My reasoning is very similar, but my choices would be a Glock 26 or Sig P365 original model.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Non compensated macro

Xl slide on macro frame. Tac ops I guess?
    The XL/no comp model is now the base model 365 Macro.

Site Supporter
    A G26 with an optic and +2 mags would be a viable contender as well.

While it retains the thickness, the abbreviated “hump” makes it slight easier to conceal than a G19.

P08 would be the one single 9mm gun for me.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    All,

I'm looking for help with finding a 9mm pistol to do it all. The G19 used to be the default answer, but these days there are offerings with great capacity that carry (and maybe even shoot?) better than the G19.

If you were starting today and wanted 1 9mm pistol (no revolvers please) to serve as your range gun, HD weapon, and CCW pistol, which would you choose?

Appreciate the help!
    What do you have now in 9?

Can you only afford one gun?

What is more important home defense or CCW?

You said one gun so what is your budget?

Why can you only have/afford one gun? Is it a law in your area?

If this is a hypothetical? Have you spent any time researching or renting or borrowing guns to see what works for you?

What if it goes back for service or repairs for 3-5 weeks what will you do if you can only have one?

What type of action do you prefer?

What works for one may not work for another

How much time and money do you have to buy and carry and buy support gear and move on do you have?

Thanks for your response it will help the good people here give you some direction.

Some more info...

I'll give you guys a bit more info...

I currently own 4 pistols and really want to whittle that down to no more than 2. If I can get it down to 1, that'd be ideal, but I can see owning 2. I really don't want to own more than 2 pistols every again. lol. It isn't a money thing, I'm a minimalist and don't like having lots of things.

I have tried to conceal a G19 but feel its too much gun and pretty uncomfortable. I'm about 5'10", 170lbs, 32" waist. I live in a state with a 10 round capacity, so don't need a pistol that holds any more.

The 4 pistols I currently own are:

1. Sig P365 with manual safety. It is optics ready, but I don't run an optic on this pistol. I like how it carries and I can shoot it pretty well (to my surprise).

2. Springfield Hellcat Pro OSP. I love...LOVE... the way this pistol looks and feels...BUT...and this is a big BUT...I hate the way it shoots. It is so snappy. I just don't understand why I perceive the recoil impulse as even worse than my sig p365 (not xl). It is the only pistol that makes me flinch like crazy.

3. Glock 19 Gen 5 with Holosun EPS. Soft shooting, and with the red dot it feels like cheating. BUT it is too bulky for me carry to carry daily. I live in a warm state and ofter wear fitted/light clothing.

4. CZ P01. Love the way it looks and shoot, but I would never consider carrying it. Too heavy and big for me. Fun to shoot though.

Ranking how these pistols shoot for me (from best to worst): G19/P01 (tie), P365, Hellcat Pro

I've owned the CZ P01 and the G19 the longest, and recently acquired the P365 and Hellcat Pro. I have shot the Hellcat pro only twice (~250 rounds) and it would easily be my favorite gun of all time if it wasn't so dang snappy. I love the form factor, ergos, grip texture, esthetics, and size...everything but the recoil impulse. I haven't had a problem with flinching since I was a new shooter, it is crazy how much I flinch when shooting the HC Pro. If I could have confidence that I'd be able to shoot the Hellcat as well as my G19 one day, or even the P365, I'd easily pick it.

I'm totally open to your suggestions and appreciate the feedback, please keep it coming. I can also see owning 2 pistols, 1 for range/HD, and the other for carry--maybe this would be a better way to go? I'm considering trying the 43x since it is similar to the HC Pro...
    Last edited by HammerStriker; 04-06-2024 at 08:44 PM.
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

Site Supporter
    Selling all but the G19 and using the money for a 43X or 48 and dot plus holster and ammo would give you the capability you want from only two weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    What do you have now in 9?

Gen 5 Glock 19 with Holosun EPS, Sig 365, CZ P01.

Can you only afford one gun?

At the moment, I am fortunate enough to be able to afford many guns.

What is more important home defense or CCW?

CCW

You said one gun so what is your budget?

No budget.

Why can you only have/afford one gun? Is it a law in your area?

I own 4 guns and can own as many as I'd like. I just don't like owning 4 pistols that are so different from each other. I feel like it limits/stifles my growth as a shooter. I end up taking them all to the range almost every trip and blow through 100s of rounds of ammo only to compare them to each other, which kills the fun for me. I can't explain it, I know it's weird. Maybe I'm a bit OCD.

If this is a hypothetical? Have you spent any time researching or renting or borrowing guns to see what works for you?

I have bought and sold many guns, but this is my first time venturing into sub compact/slim line guns.

What if it goes back for service or repairs for 3-5 weeks what will you do if you can only have one?

Good point and maybe why I should own 2 guns. There have been points in time where I owned only 2 pistols and I was much happier that way then owning 4 (as I do now).

What type of action do you prefer?'

I like both striker and DA/SA

What works for one may not work for another

How much time and money do you have to buy and carry and buy support gear and move on do you have?

Time is the limiting factor.

Thanks for your response it will help the good people here give you some direction.
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

Site Supporter
    As pointed out above, things can and will break if you are shooting the gun. Reducing the number of guns to less than 2 would be unwise for that reason. Many would consider 4 guns to be relatively minimalist.

It looks like you are well set now with 2 good concealed carry guns and 2 good home defense/fun guns. Since you seem to like the P365 better then the Hellcat, perhaps buying another P365 and selling the Hellcat would simplify support gear and increase redundant capability.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List