Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP PLEASE --one 9mm pistol for carry, range, and HD!

Whatever is biggest that you feel confident/safe carrying.

You will carry the gun and live with it 99.9% of the time if you carry everyday for the .10% chance you have to use it. Choose something that suits your life style, your hand, and has the features you want (striker, hammer, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    I'll give you guys a bit more info...

I currently own 4 pistols and really want to whittle that down to no more than 2. If I can get it down to 1, that'd be ideal, but I can see owning 2. I really don't want to own more than 2 pistols every again. lol. It isn't a money thing, I'm a minimalist and don't like having lots of things.

I have tried to conceal a G19 but feel its too much gun and pretty uncomfortable. I'm about 5'10", 170lbs, 32" waist. I live in a state with a 10 round capacity, so don't need a pistol that holds any more.

The 4 pistols I currently own are:

1. Sig P365 with manual safety. It is optics ready, but I don't run an optic on this pistol. I like how it carries and I can shoot it pretty well (to my surprise).

2. Springfield Hellcat Pro OSP. I love...LOVE... the way this pistol looks and feels...BUT...and this is a big BUT...I hate the way it shoots. It is so snappy. I just don't understand why I perceive the recoil impulse as even worse than my sig p365 (not xl). It is the only pistol that makes me flinch like crazy.

3. Glock 19 Gen 5 with Holosun EPS. Soft shooting, and with the red dot it feels like cheating. BUT it is too bulky for me carry to carry daily. I live in a warm state and ofter wear fitted/light clothing.

4. CZ P01. Love the way it looks and shoot, but I would never consider carrying it. Too heavy and big for me. Fun to shoot though.

Ranking how these pistols shoot for me (from best to worst): G19/P01 (tie), P365, Hellcat Pro

I've owned the CZ P01 and the G19 the longest, and recently acquired the P365 and Hellcat Pro. I have shot the Hellcat pro only twice (~250 rounds) and it would easily be my favorite gun of all time if it wasn't so dang snappy. I love the form factor, ergos, grip texture, esthetics, and size...everything but the recoil impulse. I haven't had a problem with flinching since I was a new shooter, it is crazy how much I flinch when shooting the HC Pro. If I could have confidence that I'd be able to shoot the Hellcat as well as my G19 one day, or even the P365, I'd easily pick it.

I'm totally open to your suggestions and appreciate the feedback, please keep it coming. I can also see owning 2 pistols, 1 for range/HD, and the other for carry--maybe this would be a better way to go? I'm considering trying the 43x since it is similar to the HC Pro...
    With this added context, my helpfulness is limited. I will echo the concerns already expressed, by other P-F members, about the 43x and other slim-line 9mm Glocks.

Regarding the number of pistols that one should own, well, firearms can break. At the scene of a shooting incident, all of one’s firearms, that are present, may well be collected for ballistic testing, and held as evidence. Plus, I like to have a bit of a hedge against future availability issues.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

There is a really simple answer to this "problem." Get a P365XL MS, a Macro grip module, and three or four Macro mags. The P365XL MS for me is the "sweet spot" for shootability without being obnoxious to carry/conceal (and yes, I have a G19MOS with SCS as well). The Macro version of the P365 is, arguably, just as "shootable" as the G19, according to high-end shooters who've shot both options a lot more than I ever will.

That gives you 2 pistols with the same trigger, safety, manual of arms, "pointability", etc.

When you decide to live the PF life, buy a third P365MS, or just an FCU, and you'll have "carry", "training" and spare roles well covered. For HD, I'd use one in the Macro configuration with a WML - the "training" gun will fill that role nicely unless you're burning through thousands of rounds a month.

Just my $0.02...

The one "do it all" pistol for people who are not hunters/outdoorsmen, is the Glock 19.

I would pick up a pair of Gen 5 G19s and get some holsters that fit you/your body type and go from there. Sometimes people get into analysis paralysis and they become stuck, when they simply need to buy a tool and learn to live, work and master the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    I'll give you guys a bit more info...

...I have tried to conceal a G19 but feel its too much gun and pretty uncomfortable. I'm about 5'10", 170lbs, 32" waist. I live in a state with a 10 round capacity, so don't need a pistol that holds any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The one "do it all" pistol for people who are not hunters/outdoorsmen, is the Glock 19.

I would pick up a pair of Gen 5 G19s and get some holsters that fit you/your body type and go from there. Sometimes people get into analysis paralysis and they become stuck, when they simply need to buy a tool and learn to live, work and master the tool.
    @HammerStriker, this may not be the answer you want. But it's the best answer. At your size, concealing a Glock 19 under a t-shirt shouldn't be a problem--if your holster, belt, and pants are optimized.

I'm smaller than you, and a G19 or P-07 in a JMCK WC 2.5 with a Mastermind pillow work great year round for CCW.

Occasionally I'm in a nonpermissive environment (NPE), and I fall back to a mousegun.

EDIT: About living in a 10 round state... Here in OR we came close to that last year, and I did some soul-searching about whether that would force a change in my CCW. I decided it wouldn't change a thing. I'd rather carry a gun I shoot really well, even with 5 fewer rounds.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Personally, in your situation I would have a standard 365 for very discrete / npe carry, a 365 XL (both in WC modules) for carry / home defense and perhaps an XMacro module, just in case... add an optic on the XL, mags and holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @HammerStriker, this may not be the answer you want. But it's the best answer. At your size, concealing a Glock 19 under a t-shirt shouldn't be a problem--if your holster, belt, and pants are optimized.

I'm smaller than you, and a G19 or P-07 in a JMCK WC 2.5 with a Mastermind pillow work great year round for CCW.

Occasionally I'm in a nonpermissive environment (NPE), and I fall back to a mousegun.

EDIT: About living in a 10 round state... Here in OR we came close to that last year, and I did some soul-searching about whether that would force a change in my CCW. I decided it wouldn't change a thing. I'd rather carry a gun I shoot really well, even with 5 fewer rounds.
    Clusterfrack is a WAY better shooter than I will ever be, so I hate to disagree with him.

BUT

Having lived most of my life in hot/sweaty environments, I know what it's like trying to carry a "real" gun versus a "compromise" gun like the P365/XL. FOR ME, weight and width of the pistol matter a lot. CAN I conceal a G19? Sure. Do I WANT to conceal a G19? Not any more. That's why my last "working" G19 is a dedicated on a battle belt "grab it in extremis" pistol. The P365 or XL get carried every time I leave the house, sometimes both of them. For me, the P365MS is the modernized J-frame. Small/light enough to slip in a pocket, with twice the capacity of more capable ammo, better trigger, better sights, better reloads, etc.

The XL does give up some ground to the G19 when I'm shooting competitive drills (not very much, but some). I'm sure @GJM can give a better comparison of the "shootability" of the Macro versus the G19, but, IIRC, his recent experience has him giving the edge to the Macro. What the XL gives back to me is being MUCH easier to carry/conceal, and the ability to direct mount a good enclosed optic, which I've come to consider a "must have" for a "fighting" pistol.

And, again respectfully, there are those of us who have never been able to adapt to AIWB. For carrying on the hip (OWB or ESPECIALLY IWB), the P365XL conceals a LOT "easier" and more comfortably than a G19, and I'm 6'1" 21x pounds (I know, I'm working on that last part, don't hate!). The only issue with the P365 series in hot/humid environments is the mags will rust on you, but this is remedied by judicious application (and maintenance) of EEzox or a similar product.

Again, this is my experience, and doesn't contradict CF's or other folks' who say the G19 is "the way."

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

This (and everyone else who said the same thing) is the best advice. I personally have moved away from the 19 due to wrist pain, but despite all my toys one gun gets holstered nearly every day.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Clusterfrack is a WAY better shooter than I will ever be, so I hate to disagree with him.

BUT

Having lived most of my life in hot/sweaty environments, I know what it's like trying to carry a "real" gun versus a "compromise" gun like the P365/XL. FOR ME, weight and width of the pistol matter a lot. CAN I conceal a G19? Sure. Do I WANT to conceal a G19? Not any more. That's why my last "working" G19 is a dedicated on a battle belt "grab it in extremis" pistol. The P365 or XL get carried every time I leave the house, sometimes both of them. For me, the P365MS is the modernized J-frame. Small/light enough to slip in a pocket, with twice the capacity of more capable ammo, better trigger, better sights, better reloads, etc.

The XL does give up some ground to the G19 when I'm shooting competitive drills (not very much, but some). I'm sure @GJM can give a better comparison of the "shootability" of the Macro versus the G19, but, IIRC, his recent experience has him giving the edge to the Macro. What the XL gives back to me is being MUCH easier to carry/conceal, and the ability to direct mount a good enclosed optic, which I've come to consider a "must have" for a "fighting" pistol.

And, again respectfully, there are those of us who have never been able to adapt to AIWB. For carrying on the hip (OWB or ESPECIALLY IWB), the P365XL conceals a LOT "easier" and more comfortably than a G19, and I'm 6'1" 21x pounds (I know, I'm working on that last part, don't hate!). The only issue with the P365 series in hot/humid environments is the mags will rust on you, but this is remedied by judicious application (and maintenance) of EEzox or a similar product.

Again, this is my experience, and doesn't contradict CF's or other folks' who say the G19 is "the way."
    The “shootability” of a G-19 vs a 365XL/MACRO is going to vary a bit based on hand size / proportions. I have large (XXL) hands with proportional short fingers.

Some people may shoot both equally well, but most will do better with one or the other, depending on their hands.

I will always shoot a Glock 19 or 26 (or other true double stack)?
    better than something with a slimmer grip.

It’s worth noting that in Mike Pantone’s recent slim pistol materials, he adds tape or other materials to make the grips thicker to enhance control.

My most carried gun is a P365 XL but I am willing to give up a little bit of performance for “carry-ability” and commonality with the P320 which is my primary duty and competition gun.

I also have a standard P365 with an optic setup for pocket carry. The scalability and modularity of the 365 as a “system” is hard to beat.

Site Supporter
    If you don’t get the range regularly, then I think it’s important to keep your carry and HD gun in the same family. In this case, like others have said, the 365 series is hard to beat. I’d sell your 19 (sacrilegious I know), sell your P07, def sell the Hellcat, and then pick up a regular macro and an XL. Is then outfit your standard p365 and Xl with WC modules.

User Tag List