Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: HELP PLEASE --one 9mm pistol for carry, range, and HD!

I don’t think I can provide any new info that hasn’t already been posted so I’ll just add one more vote for the P365 series. You’ve already got a P365 that you like a lot. Sell some of the guns you like less such as the Hellcat and buy a P365XL. Now you’ve got two guns that function identically and use most of the same accessories if you use XL sized holsters and XL magazines as a reload. If you’re willing to get into the PF mindset of having three of the same gun, the add a P365X Macro. That would normally have been the 1-gun solution I recommend these days but you mentioned being in a ban state. As far as reliability, I haven’t heard of any problem with the 10-round XL or Macro magazines but you’d be giving up a lot of capacity on the Macro with 10-round mags and it’s substantially taller than the XL.

After that, buy the appropriate accessories to tune the guns to you. Things like red dot optics and grip modules that work better for your hands. If the OEM Sig P365 and XL grip modules work well, stick with them. If you need to add a tiny bit of girth to fill your hand better, the Wilson Combat modules are substantial improvements and aren’t very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I haven’t heard of any problem with the 10-round XL or Macro magazines but you’d be giving up a lot of capacity on the Macro with 10-round mags and it’s substantially taller than the XL.
    I have three XL sized 10-round magazines for travel to ban states, and haven't had any problems with them (except they were TOUGH) to load to capacity when they were newer. Feed and function just fine in my XL.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I don’t think I can provide any new info that hasn’t already been posted so I’ll just add one more vote for the P365 series. You’ve already got a P365 that you like a lot. Sell some of the guns you like less such as the Hellcat and buy a P365XL. Now you’ve got two guns that function identically and use most of the same accessories if you use XL sized holsters and XL magazines as a reload. If you’re willing to get into the PF mindset of having three of the same gun, the add a P365X Macro. That would normally have been the 1-gun solution I recommend these days but you mentioned being in a ban state. As far as reliability, I haven’t heard of any problem with the 10-round XL or Macro magazines but you’d be giving up a lot of capacity on the Macro with 10-round mags and it’s substantially taller than the XL.

After that, buy the appropriate accessories to tune the guns to you. Things like red dot optics and grip modules that work better for your hands. If the OEM Sig P365 and XL grip modules work well, stick with them. If you need to add a tiny bit of girth to fill your hand better, the Wilson Combat modules are substantial improvements and aren’t very expensive.
    It’s worth pointing out that the OP is not just an a ban state for magazine capacity, but in California with its ridiculous handgun roster.

I’m not sure if the P365 series are still “off roster” guns making them more expensive and difficult to acquire.

However, in this case, I think the modularity of the 365 makes the juice worth the squeeze required to get a second or third P365 series FCU due to the modular nature of the 365.

If you have a P365 FCU or two, you can swap frames and slides and configure or reconfigure them as needed without having to go through the hassle of acquiring new guns.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s worth pointing out that the OP is not just an a ban state for magazine capacity, but in California with its ridiculous handgun roster.

I’m not sure if the P365 series are still “off roster” guns making them more expensive and difficult to acquire.

However, in this case, I think the modularity of the 365 makes the juice worth the squeeze required to get a second or third P365 series FCU due to the modular nature of the 365.

If you have a P365 FCU or two, you can swap frames and slides and configure or reconfigure them as needed without having to go through the hassle of acquiring new guns.
    Ah, I didn’t see the OP was in California. There is currently a CA-compliant P365 (SKU is 365-9-BXR3P-MS-CA). It’s an optic-ready, standard sized P365 with manual safety. As far as I know it’s the only one on their roster. I don’t know what the rules are about purchasing a separate fire control group that isn’t part of a complete handgun. Assuming the only way you can get an on-roster P365 is to buy a complete gun, it’s going to be more expensive putting a three gun set together if you want additional configurations such as the XL or X Macro. The grip modules are quite reasonably priced, whether OEM or Wilson. Complete XL slides with barrels and recoil springs are substantially more expensive, pretty close in price to a complete gun depending on where you’re buying. If you forgo the extra 0.6” of the XL’s barrel, putting a P365X together would only add the cost of an XL grip module to that of the base gun.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Weapon magazine capacity is low on my critical criteria list-much more important is ergonomics, reliability, durability, accuracy and ease of maintenance.
    Capacity comes into play when you're trying to use the same gun for HD or, more realistically, competition shooting (provided one has reached the stage of disabusing themselves of the notion that gaming is training and stopped trying to insist on running matches with an exact replica of their carry setup).
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Yeah, that sure does move the cheese.
    None of the Glocks that start with the numeral four are on the roster.
    Looks like you can get a Shield in any color of the rainbow, but only one Shield Plus, with the little nub safety.
    Oddly, the SD40 is on there (without a safety) but no SD9.
    I understand it to be SKU specific, and only a single 365 (with a decent size safety), and not the FCU separately. I would think you could change the grip frame, so if it was me I would probably be doing a few 365s.

ETA: Just noticed why the SD40 was and SD9 wasn't, SD9 is on the list of recently expired, so obviously they certified the nine first and the forty second, and the forty is just waiting around to expire.
    Name:  SD9 CA.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  40.4 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-08-2024 at 01:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Yeah, that sure does move the cheese.
    None of the Glocks that start with the numeral four are on the roster.
    Looks like you can get a Shield in any color of the rainbow, but only one Shield Plus, with the little nub safety.
    Oddly, the SD40 is on there (without a safety) but no SD9.
    I understand it to be SKU specific, and only a single 365 (with a decent size safety), and not the FCU separately. I would think you could change the grip frame, so if it was me I would probably be doing a few 365s.

ETA: Just noticed why the SD40 was and SD9 wasn't, SD9 is on the list of recently expired, so obviously they certified the nine first and the forty second, and the forty is just waiting around to expire.
    Name:  SD9 CA.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  40.4 KB
    As far as I know California doesn’t really restrict modification of “roster guns” after you buy them (other than threaded barrels) so a “LEGO” modular gun seems like it would be ideal.

I know you can add a manual safety to a standard 365 not 100% sure if you can go the other way, but there are some aftermarket extended safeties and grip modules to accommodate the manual safety.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Capacity comes into play when you're trying to use the same gun for HD or, more realistically, competition shooting (provided one has reached the stage of disabusing themselves of the notion that gaming is training and stopped trying to insist on running matches with an exact replica of their carry setup).
    Acknowledged, but I've never had much of a problem in competing in IDPA with 10 round magazines. I recently shot my Beretta 92 in SSP with 15.15+1 capacity, and ended each stage with a boatload (well, a partial magazine load) of unnecessary ammunition. Yeah, there was one reload, but that would have been the case irrespective of whether there were 10 round or 15 round magazines involved, given that the maximum minimum IDPA stage roundcount is 18 rounds.

And then there are revolvers and 1911s....Never had particular issues in competing with them. (Except accepting the reality that when shooting revolver, every stage is gonna be a Limited stage, whether designated so or not...)

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    Two is workable but three is preferable.

1) Vetted carry gun.
    2) high mileage training gun.
    3) Spare and /or dry fire gun.

Guns can break, get stolen, taken as evidence etc

Obviously having three identical Glocks is easier than three identical Stacattos…
    The spare is the vetted, lubed, no more shooting gun the way I think of it: that way, it’s always ready to go as a low-mileage replacement for the carry gun. The high mileage training gun is the dry fire/classes/practice gun. Run it till it breaks, fix it, and do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    When I was closer to your size I could conceal a full-size 1911 easier than I could a Glock 26.
    I did notice a lotta 1911s when I went looking at the roster, but that is a different rabbit hole. Though if I lived in a ten round state pretty sure I would carry a nice slim ten round single stack gun instead of a 15 round gun with a plug in the magazine.

ETA: I just went back and looked again, and maybe not so many as I thought...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-08-2024 at 07:16 PM.

User Tag List