Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: HELP PLEASE --one 9mm pistol for carry, range, and HD!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    This is the way. I personally have 4 identical G19s set up the way I prefer:

1) Vetted carry gun
    2) Vetted competition gun
    3) high volume live fire gun
    4) dry fire gun/competition spare

I find my G19s close enough on trigger pull and accuracy/precision with my preferred load that I feel they are truly interchangeable like this. If I were limited totally to 1 gun, I’d have a 5th for home defense (I use a G17 for that personally). Probably overkill, but 5 G19s set up the way I like total is still a little less than 2 Staccatos.
    Exacrly how we have our p365xl macros setup

Those of you suggestion the XMacro Tacops, is it really that much easier to carry than a 19? They look similar on paper.

To the OP. I’ve bought and sold more guns than I can remember. I wouldn’t personally sale anything. I get being a minimalist but it’s better to hang on to what you have add something else. If you find something that works for you, after you’ve put a lot of time and training into it, then, maybe you can sale off the extra stuff.

As far as picking something new, I would focus on the minimum capability you want for the type of shooting you will do and work from there. I’m a little taller than you and about the same weight. I’ve carried and competed with 1911s, Glock 34s, Sig 226s, and full size Berretas. I’ve also carried and competed with a Glock 48. I’ve even shot a couple of steel challenge matches with a 48. Competing with what you carry is a great way to build confidence and competence with your gear.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

If I personally had to have a do-it-all 9mm, it would boil down between a plastic or metal option.

Plastic: Beretta PX4 compact with an OEM Cougar D spring.

Metal: Some flavor of Beretta 92 with the lanyard loop hammer spring plug, blacked out rear sight, and feed it with standard capacity magazines.

Alternate reality where I had to pick a GLOCK: Third generation 26 with either Hackathorn or painted Defoor sights, flush 10-round magazines, G19 mags for reloads, and call it good.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Those of you suggestion the XMacro Tacops, is it really that much easier to carry than a 19? They look similar on paper.

To the OP. I’ve bought and sold more guns than I can remember. I wouldn’t personally sale anything. I get being a minimalist but it’s better to hang on to what you have add something else. If you find something that works for you, after you’ve put a lot of time and training into it, then, maybe you can sale off the extra stuff.

As far as picking something new, I would focus on the minimum capability you want for the type of shooting you will do and work from there. I’m a little taller than you and about the same weight. I’ve carried and competed with 1911s, Glock 34s, Sig 226s, and full size Berretas. I’ve also carried and competed with a Glock 48. I’ve even shot a couple of steel challenge matches with a 48. Competing with what you carry is a great way to build confidence and competence with your gear.
    For me, AIWB, skinny guy, the thickness of a pistol is far more important for concealment and comfort that grip length. The eighth inch or whatever difference between a full size and a slimline makes a huge difference both AIWB and Demonstrated concepts style deep carry.

I don’t want this to be true, as I really like the bigger pistols and had carried a G19 for the last year. But I’ve finally moved to deep carry with an Enigma with a 43X. I can’t do this with a thicker pistol without looking ridiculous.

I can conceal a G34 AIWB just fine in a tee shirt standing perfectly still with no wind, but as soon as I’m moving or in the wind, any full width double stack starts to print a lot, whether it’s a 34 or a 19.

I have the 43X for tee shirt carry now and have been carrying the 34 in flannels when weather permits.

I'm a minimalist myself to a degree. I've come to the conclusion that pistols aren't like your normal consumable like a laptop or dishwasher. Nobodies putting restrictions on those but in some states more restrictions on firearms come every year. I suppose it depends on where you live but blue states continue to follow one another into draconian gun legislation. Having seen that I'm hesitant to sell a pistol, although I have more than a few. I've settled on one carry and have two which are identical. Those are the ones that routinely go to the range. At this point if someone I knew needed a pistol I might sell or give one away, but I'm not advertising. Things just keep going downhill where I live and at some point it will be impossible to buy a pistol without a license to own one along with the cost of training and cert.

If things go south and you can't legally buy a pistol from a dealer without the process described above, then there isn't a lot of hope for most people to legally access a pistol if there isn't an opportunity to do it legally.

If I were starting over I would take a serious look at the Beretta PX-4 compact series. Lots to like about those. That would be the only one that would interest me.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-15-2024 at 12:15 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List