Thread: Pros and cons of convertng a .357 for 9mm?

Pros and cons of convertng a .357 for 9mm?

Periodically I think about picking up a 9mm revolver. Not so much for defensive use but more for a bit of ammo commonality, one less caliber to take on range trips, etc. I've had a couple of .357/9mm Blackhawks over the years as well as a 940. Recently I was going through @03RNs 9mm in a .38 thread in the Reloading sub-forum and got to thinking about having someone like TK cut one of my cylinders for 9mm (or a spare purchased for that purpose). The restriction to standard pressure 9/.38/.357 is not a problem for me because standard pressure is all I shoot through my fun guns and it's all I'm going to reload for (even though TK says reloads are a no-no).

So if the primary goal is to shoot/reload 9mm ball for fun and maybe a little competition from a 3"-4" K/L/SP/GP size platform is it worth it to have a cylinder cut for 9mm? Or does it make more sense to take the advice in 03RN's thread to heart and find a suitable 9-in-a-.38 load? Or even 9mm data in .38 Short Colt brass as suggested in that thread? Moonclips vs a speed loader is a non-issue for me.

Thoughts?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Conversions are going to require moonclips… or rimmed cases. Just the nature of the beast.

I converted my 642-1 to 9mm almost a decade ago. Love the gun and still carry it regularly off duty.

If it is a Blackhawk, I would find an extra cylinder in 9mm and use that. Plus then you can use pretty much any 9mm semi auto mag as your "speedloader", just as some of us do with .45 convertible revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Conversions are going to require moonclips… or rimmed cases. Just the nature of the beast.
    I know, that's why it's a non-issue to me. I'm going to need one or the other and it doesn't matter to me which one I end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    If it is a Blackhawk, I would find an extra cylinder in 9mm and use that. Plus then you can use pretty much any 9mm semi auto mag as your "speedloader", just as some of us do with .45 convertible revolvers.
    BTDT with both!

This will be a 3"-4" DA of K/L/GP/SP size because that's what I have on hand to work with.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I don't really stock a lot of 9mm so if I want cheap practice I just shoot my cheap .38s.

Now that I've been playing with moonclips I kinda want to set up a .357 mag for .38 supers. I'd be able to shoot 9mm to if I wanted to
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

User Tag List