Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the P229 viable as a carry gun in 2024?

Site Supporter
    I was issued a SIG 226 for many years. When we transitioned from 9mm to .40, I purchased a .40 229 as an off-duty weapon. I almost never carried it as it wasn't appreciably more comfortable or concealable than my issue 226. I would agree with Stephen Hunter in one of the Bob Lee Swagger novels who referred to the 229 as "chunky".

That said, if you like the weapon and shoot it well, go ahead and carry it. It is certainly reliable and accurate. While I'd prefer a higher capacity weapon, a twelve round magazine capacity is likely to be adequate for most self-defense situations.

If you have been eyeing one, that means you don’t have one. How do you know you can shoot it worth a shit? Or do you care?

You may also want to research, reliable and durable in relation to the metal Sigs

Any gun is carry-able if you’re willing.

Site Supporter
    I think if a beretta 92 or 1911 is still a viable carry option, a p229 is too.

P229 makes a lot of sense in .40 or even .357 where the weight is helpful (at least to me) with firing those cartridges. It makes little sense to me as a 9mm because of all that weight for marginal return in the felt recoil or managing recoil department.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

It's not like there's tons of plastic framed, hammer fired TDA pistols on the market- and a few of those have slide mounted decockers.
    If it works for you, drive on.

Heck, I pocket tote a P239, as it's safer than my Shield, but has more bang & better sights than my snub Model 10.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    If it can be cut for a red dot sure why not

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    If it can be cut for a red dot sure why not
    The 229 comes optic cut, if you pick the right sku, in da/sa and sao variants. 229 optic cut slides are also available from Sig. The optic system and BUIS integration are good.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    If you want TDA, then I think the P-07 makes a lot sense.

There is a listing for used railess P229s in .40 that appear to be in great condition. Those are a bit tempting, but the P-07 still makes more sense.

While I like the DAK system, there are enough downsides to the P229 that I’m able to resist the desire to buy one.

If I was going to carry a DA/SA 9mm it would be a 229/226. The Macro at 19 ounces (without a magazine) has kind of ruined it for me as to a bunch of other nice guns.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If you want TDA, then I think the P-07 makes a lot sense.

There is a listing for used railess P229s in .40 that appear to be in great condition. Those are a bit tempting, but the P-07 still makes more sense.

While I like the DAK system, there are enough downsides to the P229 that I’m able to resist the desire to buy one.
    As much as I liked a ton about the P07.....I didn't like how I shot with them. I'd take a 9mm P229 in a heartbeat. But I do love me some Classic Sigs.

User Tag List