Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Is the P229 viable as a carry gun in 2024?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    When I purchased my MK25 it had the older plastic plug and mainspring setup that had a pretty stiff DA. If you buy the E2 mainspring plug and kit it reduces the DA and stacking. Add in a 19 lb mainspring and the short reset trigger while your at it.

https://www.realgunreviews.com/progr...ng-assemblies/
    That's a good overview of the strut/seat/mainspring situation.

If one has an older Sig, I'll say that upgrading to a newer mainspring assembly makes a big difference in the DA pull. I yanked the old-school steel seat/strut out of my P6 and put in brand-new parts with the plastic seat, etc. (I forget if I used the "New-Style" combo or the "E2" combo--they both work). Night and day. Gave the old P6 (which is known for having a shit DA trigger) a reeeally nice DA pull. I think I used a 19lb hammer spring from Wolff, as well.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    That's a good overview of the strut/seat/mainspring situation.

If one has an older Sig, I'll say that upgrading to a newer mainspring assembly makes a big difference in the DA pull. I yanked the old-school steel seat/strut out of my P6 and put in brand-new parts with the plastic seat, etc. (I forget if I used the "New-Style" combo or the "E2" combo--they both work). Night and day. Gave the old P6 (which is known for having a shit DA trigger) a reeeally nice DA pull. I think I used a 19lb hammer spring from Wolff, as well.
    A p6 is one of the few guns I ever sold I really miss. Really nothing I would carry now but just a fun gun

I think a 229 is very viable. If it points naturally for you and you get good, fast hits with it, you should run with it. Other big name handguns don't do nearly so well for me, so I'd rather have my 229 in 9mm.

I added a short reset trigger, a Gray Guns PSPIT (if I recall correctly-I don't think he still carries them) trigger, and Hogue G-10 grips. It's DA to SA transition is easy and both are a dream to shoot.

I can make easy hits at 30 yards on a six inch steel disc that's at my range.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    A p6 is one of the few guns I ever sold I really miss. Really nothing I would carry now but just a fun gun
    Yeah, the P6 makes me smile. It doesn't really have any "superpowers" when it comes to shooting characteristics... but... it does shoot well. Especially with the hammer strut update and fresh sights. And, for whatever reason, it seems to carry more comfortably than other guns in that size range.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Gotta p229 in 40 and while I jump around to other guns it’s the one I’d reach for if everything went south tomorrow. If i absolutely had to be a one gun guy I’d probably find a way to make it work as an EDC….its super reliable, extremely accurate, built like a brick shithouse and chambered in a potent caliber with decent capacity.

Other guns come and go but that one remains with me……i shoot it consistently better than everything else I have and I really should stop screwing around and get a spare parts kit and a big pile of mags & pile up the .40 for it……

Site Supporter
    The sig P series was my first love. I dropped them when I got into 1911s, but always held on to a p229 .40 trade in I picked up cheap. I mostly shot it as a .357 sig as I picked up an extra barrel and would reload for it. A few years ago I found out Sig sold a red dot upper in 9mm that fit on the .40 frame. Right before washington's mag law went into effect bought a bunch of mags and the slide. Its a great shooter and one of my favorite guns. I mostly shoot 1911s/2011s but I take the sig out every few sessions to keep up with the DA/SA trigger.

Name:  p229-1.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  43.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    The sig P series was my first love. I dropped them when I got into 1911s, but always held on to a p229 .40 trade in I picked up cheap. I mostly shot it as a .357 sig as I picked up an extra barrel and would reload for it. A few years ago I found out Sig sold a red dot upper in 9mm that fit on the .40 frame. Right before washington's mag law went into effect bought a bunch of mags and the slide. Its a great shooter and one of my favorite guns. I mostly shoot 1911s/2011s but I take the sig out every few sessions to keep up with the DA/SA trigger.

Name:  p229-1.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  43.2 KB
    Bonus points for the 91/30
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

So a quick update on the GSSF litmus test, I shot a 481 clean cold (comparatively I shot a G44/493, and G19.5/492 x2). Not a showing of any sort, but for a striker guy not too bad.

1st string (5@10, 5@15, and 5@7) the two outliers was me not paying attention to the SA takeup.

Name:  IMG_3638.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  54.4 KB

2nd string (10@10y, 10@15y, and 10 @25y) The right bias was at 25, I can't see the rings and the shot group is faint so I have to centralize my sights on the whole target.

Name:  IMG_3639.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  65.3 KB

For reference the X-ring is 4", 10 being 8".

So I will be giving this some more range time for certain. I like it.

While the shooting wasn't mind-blowing, the carry sure is. I cannot express just how comfortable this is to carry in the JM 2.5. I did a 'kilt in da streetz' and carried it for two days, one of which had a 4-hour round trip drive involved, for a combined total of 27 hours. Zero discomfort. Zero holster shift at all, ever, for any reason. This is as close to carrying a J frame in a City Special (comfort-wise) as I have ever gotten with any sort pistol, let alone a service size one. After I do a lot more investigating (and learning) on holster dimensions I'll likely open a thread in the Holster Section. My mind is really blown....

FWIW, if a new-slide-style 9mm P229 were to come across my path, I'm sure I'd buy it. Anyone know if the M11A1 will fit in the P226 JM holsters? I know the trigger guard is different, but I think it's only the lack of the nub rather than a completely different profile.

So, yes, the P229 is viable as a carry gun in 2024. Fuck yes, it is.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

User Tag List