Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the P229 viable as a carry gun in 2024?

OP, I've got a 9mm P229 w/rail. I don't carry it often, instead carrying one of several Glocks or even a small revolver (or two). Like another poster on this thread, I'll even sometimes carry one of my 1911s, still.

I'm also in the "don't go down the rabbit-hole" opinion of not constantly comparing what's now on the market; buying the latest gun; putting a few thousand rounds through it; and carrying it for awhile; only to either find I don't like it as much as something else; something else comes into the market; or I read what others are preferring or criticizing.

I own several handguns and might carry any one of them. I'm often carrying old-school Glocks 26, G19, small S&W or Ruger revolvers, or a G43. Even so, I've had my P229 since 2015 and have put ~16K rounds through it and like it quite a bit.

OP, if you're thinking of a P229, buy one and try it out. Don't even bother asking about what other folks think. There's plenty of reading about various guns to try other than in this forum. Here's a good forum for folks who can be found who really like their P229 guns:
    https://www.sigtalk.com/forums/sig-sauer-pistols.14/

I still kick myself for selling the 1992 made in Germany P228 I had. A few years ago I lucked out and got a great deal on a lightly used Pre-Cohen P229 9mm with superb trigger work. It's a joy to shoot and puts a smile on my face. There's something special about the way the P228/P229 fits my hands. I'll definitely be hanging onto this SIG.Name:  tapatalk_-1813483865.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  54.2 KB

My previous experience with the Sig P22X series is that I greatly preferred the 226 to the 229 in every respect. I shot the 226 more proficiently, the 226 was more comfortable to shoot, the 226 was more comfortable to carry, and the 226 was easier to conceal.

I found the 229 to be some sort of witchcraft. It was a violation of the laws of physics in that it was "smaller" than the 226 but it was actually "larger" than the 226. I cannot explain it but I found the 229......untoward.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    My previous experience with the Sig P22X series is that I greatly preferred the 226 to the 229 in every respect. I shot the 226 more proficiently, the 226 was more comfortable to shoot, the 226 was more comfortable to carry, and the 226 was easier to conceal.

I found the 229 to be some sort of witchcraft. It was a violation of the laws of physics in that it was "smaller" than the 226 but it was actually "larger" than the 226. I cannot explain it but I found the 229......untoward.
    Have you shot a 229 with a dot? I always preferred the 226 to the 229, but a dot changed that for me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Have you shot a 229 with a dot? I always preferred the 226 to the 229, but a dot changed that for me.
    Interesting.

I have not tried a 229 with a dot. But my previous experiences with trying a dot on different handguns have been failures (mostly due to a lack of dedication on my part). Whenever I (inevitably) try the dot again perhaps I'll try Sig this time.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interesting wonder why

Site Supporter
    When my former employer transitioned from revolvers to SigSauer, we issued 226's to most, but provided a couple of officers with small hands with 228's. The 228, like the Glock 19, seemed to hit the sweet spot in capability and concealment. For some reason we issued detectives a 230 in addition to their 226 or 228. Why we didn't just issue them a 226 escapes me.

In .40 days much later, we had similar issues of hand size an, for detectives and street crimes, concealability. The 229 offered no advantage in hand size and was of dubious advantage in concealability. We ended up issuing several officers the 239. We also offered the 239 to detectives, but the only one to give up the 226 was small enough to get a 239 for uniform duty.

Absolutely. I would pick up a handful of recoil springs and an armorers kit or two and spend the extra money on magazines. Many guns are still viable in todays world whether there are better option out there or not. Do we all need light equipped, red dot guns? No, but again mission drives the gear. As of late I find myself carrying in a fanny pack! Five (5) years ago today I could have never utilized that gear in my role. So buy that P229 and then when you get a chance, buy another as backup and drive on!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Attachment 117177

And now the fun begins.
    It shoots.

Name:  IMG_4896.jpeg
Views: 256
Size:  73.1 KB

50’, 180grn Speer Gold Dots.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List