Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned from Some Recent International Travel

Lessons Learned from Some Recent International Travel

Guerrera, Younger Offspring and I recently got back from visiting Older Offspring as she studies in Costa Rica. We don't do any "adventure" travel like the Gorillafritz (even though I have his book), but I would say that Guerrera and I are pretty competent international travelers. This trip, however, I had a bunch of minor "breakdowns" that I need to address.

First, in most countries, I stand out like a sore thumb. I'm a tall(-ish) very white, semi-geeky looking dude. There is no way I can hide from being a "gringo," but for some reason I just had brain damage when preparing for this trip

My hat: my favorite hat in the world is a Tilley T3, which has served me well for most things for 25 years, and does a great job of keeping the sun out of my eyes and off my ears, face, and neck (see the "white" descriptor, above). I finally wore it out, and (per their policy) Tilley replaced it with a new T3. A really, really white T3, which might as well have had "TOURISTA" printed on it in neon letters. In the past, ball caps weren't much of a thing that I could see in Latin America and Europe, now I think I'm going to need to get a nondescript one and suck up the fact that I need to sunscreen my ears and neck.

My shirts: I packed lightweight button down, collared, short-sleeved shirts because they're light and in can flex them a little nicer if I want. Yeah... no one was wearing anything like this but me; like not even other tourists. I think I need to get some plain, neutral-colored t-shirts instead (which might be harder to conceal carry in the US, but whatevs).

I need to redo my "device charging bag." I bought one of these after @LittleLebowski suggested it. The problem is, it has a micro-USB charging port and my phone is (now) USB-C, so I have to carry around two cables. I tried using a "squid," but I don't use two out of the five plugs, and they're all two short to be really practical. I'm not sure why I never noticed this before. Need to get a new version of that battery that's USB-C and a quality, longer cable.

I need a new cheap watch. My normal watch is big, bright, clunky, and looks expensive (which is moderately true). Older Offpsring is starting to get good at this, and she told me right away when we got there that it would attract attention, and she was right. I need to get something smaller, less obvious, and cheap enough that I won't cry if I loose it or have to give it up.

My international cell plan kinda sucks. It's ok enough that I get by, and I don't have to pay extra for it, but this trip and a previous couple to Europe let me down a little. I need to find out how to do the "local SIM card" thing.

Shoes: my Merrill MOAB low's again said "tourist." They're earth toned, so I thought they would not be noticed, but when everyone else is wearing colored sneakers...

Things that were neutral:
    After resisting for a long, long, time, I finally had to break down an get Uber. It just made getting around the major cities easier.

Things that went well(!)
    I read and was told that only tourists wear shorts. This was mostly true. My Duluth Foreman pants seemed to blend well (I think). Otherwise, it was jeans.

The "I see you/fuck off" stare and turning full-front toward someone worked pretty well when I attracted the wrong kind of attention.

Even the few broken phrases of Spanish I could put together seemed to make the locals much more positively disposed towards me.

I'll try to make my next overseas vay-cay go better (without embarrassing Guerrera [too much]).
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Sometimes, being an obvious tourist can be helpful, especially in areas where tourist are common. The locals think you may be an idiot, and will grant you a bit more leeway for stupid questions and cultural faux-paux. They're also a bit more willing to help out in those areas, as what's bad for tourism can be bad for business.

The trick is to appear the appropriate level of new, but not look like a mark to the predators. The usual MUC/SA stuff applies.

And it's kinda hard for most white Americans to blend in anyway, as we tend to literally stand out in a crowd no matter what our dress.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And it's kinda hard for most white Americans to blend in anyway, as we tend to literally stand out in a crowd no matter what our dress.
    Agreed, but I'd like to stand out less if I could.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Guerrera, Younger Offspring and I recently got back from visiting Older Offspring as she studies in Costa Rica. We don't do any "adventure" travel like the Gorillafritz (even though I have his book), but I would say that Guerrera and I are pretty competent international travelers. This trip, however, I had a bunch of minor "breakdowns" that I need to address.

First, in most countries, I stand out like a sore thumb. I'm a tall(-ish) very white, semi-geeky looking dude. There is no way I can hide from being a "gringo," but for some reason I just had brain damage when preparing for this trip

My hat: my favorite hat in the world is a Tilley T3, which has served me well for most things for 25 years, and does a great job of keeping the sun out of my eyes and off my ears, face, and neck (see the "white" descriptor, above). I finally wore it out, and (per their policy) Tilley replaced it with a new T3. A really, really white T3, which might as well have had "TOURISTA" printed on it in neon letters. In the past, ball caps weren't much of a thing that I could see in Latin America and Europe, now I think I'm going to need to get a nondescript one and suck up the fact that I need to sunscreen my ears and neck.

My shirts: I packed lightweight button down, collared, short-sleeved shirts because they're light and in can flex them a little nicer if I want. Yeah... no one was wearing anything like this but me; like not even other tourists. I think I need to get some plain, neutral-colored t-shirts instead (which might be harder to conceal carry in the US, but whatevs).

I need to redo my "device charging bag." I bought one of these after @LittleLebowski suggested it. The problem is, it has a micro-USB charging port and my phone is (now) USB-C, so I have to carry around two cables. I tried using a "squid," but I don't use two out of the five plugs, and they're all two short to be really practical. I'm not sure why I never noticed this before. Need to get a new version of that battery that's USB-C and a quality, longer cable.

I need a new cheap watch. My normal watch is big, bright, clunky, and looks expensive (which is moderately true). Older Offpsring is starting to get good at this, and she told me right away when we got there that it would attract attention, and she was right. I need to get something smaller, less obvious, and cheap enough that I won't cry if I loose it or have to give it up.

My international cell plan kinda sucks. It's ok enough that I get by, and I don't have to pay extra for it, but this trip and a previous couple to Europe let me down a little. I need to find out how to do the "local SIM card" thing.

Shoes: my Merrill MOAB low's again said "tourist." They're earth toned, so I thought they would not be noticed, but when everyone else is wearing colored sneakers...

Things that were neutral:
    After resisting for a long, long, time, I finally had to break down an get Uber. It just made getting around the major cities easier.

Things that went well(!)
    I read and was told that only tourists wear shorts. This was mostly true. My Duluth Foreman pants seemed to blend well (I think). Otherwise, it was jeans.

The "I see you/fuck off" stare and turning full-front toward someone worked pretty well when I attracted the wrong kind of attention.

Even the few broken phrases of Spanish I could put together seemed to make the locals much more positively disposed towards me.

I'll try to make my next overseas vay-cay go better (without embarrassing Guerrera [too much]).
    Reading less "GorillaFritz" (for fucks sake) is probably the best thing you can do if you want to increase your overseas security. Tourists engaging in spy fantasies doctored by someone who has never worked in overseas security is about the worst thing anyone can do.

You're a tourist, apparently in a tourist area. There's nothing wrong with looking like a tourist. You don't need to fit in. If you dress like a dork, that's probably not a problem specific to being on vacation. It's a good idea you have about your watch; a better idea is to just not wear a watch at all.

For your cell plan, there's no need to play the SIM card game. Just get an MVNO provider like GoogleFi, which will work in almost the entire world without any extra fees and without having to switch SIM cards.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Of the breakdowns you identified, did any of them produce a tangible negative result that you know of?

Site Supporter
    Just had a small vacation in one of the most dangerous states in Mexico visiting some family. As far as travel advisories go, it's on the red list. It was a nice enough place to be honest. No, I wasn't going anywhere past midnight, no I was not gonna flash around a bunch of money, and no I wasn't looking to do anything illegal and I stayed in city limits, not going to the outskirts or ranchos. I was not kidnapped, killed or had any organs stolen so good for me I guess.

I asked about if I should try to modify my clothing or my Spanish and my family's advice was "No, definitely you should look and sound like a tourist. This place is more dangerous for locals than tourists."

Non touristy parts of Mexico may have fewer pickpockets and grifters however so I have no advice on that bit. I just wore jeans, t shirt and a baseball cap.

Probably wouldn't go again...but my grandmother is dying amd this was a last chance last minute thing.

Site Supporter
    Reading this in the Bogota airport waiting for a flight to Medellin….

When it’s not blazing hot I’ve decided Kuhl pants, an earth toned or dark tshirt, a long sleeved button-up shirt in a subtle pattern and chukkas are as close as I can get to not attracting the wrong kind of attention. I haven’t gotten anything dialed in for the heat; I’ve got black running shoes and sandals as options for Cartagena and Panama City. But I still suspect I might as well have a neon “gringo” sign on me when I’m dressed for the heat. I’m sure I blend in better in Ireland or Germany than in South America.

Best decision I’ve made in a while is to leave my Apple Watch at home when I travel. But the good news / bad news about my Lum Tec is that several people have thought it is more expensive than it is.

Site Supporter
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

If one is traveling internationally, it's kinda difficult to be a grey man & blend in. Even in places where one doesn't stand out for being paler & way taller than the general population, there's a whole lot of little things that signal that "you ain't from 'round here!"

For instance, I spend a lot of time in Australia- but regularly get spotted as a Yank even before I start talking.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I’m not going to offer advice on adventure touring when guys like @TGS are in the thread.

That said up front, two words. Pocket watch.

Look into an ass-cheap gotham or something. JMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Gotham-Gun-To...5&gad_source=1

https://www.amazon.com/Gotham-Gunmet...c52518e2c5cbd7
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List