Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vetting Ruger GP100s for Carry/Defense Use

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Just for reference, my 3 inch Python weighs 2 ounces more than my GP100 WC. They are all heavy....
    That's why I carry a SP101.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    My only problematic GP100, of several that I own, has been one that is overly-susceptible to fouling from unburned powder. Its tolerances are so tight that I would not want to use any but the cleanest-burning defensive ammo in it. Because it has the heaviest trigger pull, of the lot, though a snag-free, consistent trigger, it has been relegated to being my designated dry-fire gun.
    As a tangent, does anyone have a photo of an early GP100 extractor with grunge grooves? I never seen one in person, and there doesn't seem to be any useful images online.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Do y'all think with just over 1k rounds through my GP100, mostly with Magnums, that it is vetted enough for carry?
    It's five times more than I would consider necessary. If everything checks out (@Outpost75's how to inspect a revolver) and it works with 200-250 rounds of mixed ammo, I call it good.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Do y'all think with just over 1k rounds through my GP100, mostly with Magnums, that it is vetted enough for carry?
    You have not even broken that GP in yet, get about 25,000 on it and they are a whole lot smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooosh View Post
    As a tangent, does anyone have a photo of an early GP100 extractor with grunge grooves? I never seen one in person, and there doesn't seem to be any useful images online.

If I recall correctly (and someone will correct me if I don’t), the grooves you are thinking of were an aftermarket mod conceived by Chris Peters. He was an LE Armorer instructor, gunsmith and eventually in Customer Relations at Ruger. Plus he did some fine work in the evening on guns. He called it the “+P Powder Eater” as he felt .38+P was the dirtiest ammo you could shoot.
    I believe he died a few years ago, but he trained and authorized Rick Devoid to do the modification, and I think Rick is still working part time.

I have one GP-100 left that Chris worked on, I can try to get a picture of the extractor for you. I believe @JonInWA has a Peters’ gun with this as well.

Edit: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1283776
    Last edited by Norville; 04-09-2024 at 04:27 PM.

Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Crap. The images are old Photobucket ones; I'll take some new ones!

Here they are...:

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-09-2024 at 08:54 PM.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    If I recall correctly (and someone will correct me if I don’t), the grooves you are thinking of were an aftermarket mod conceived by Chris Peters. He was an LE Armorer instructor, gunsmith and eventually in Customer Relations at Ruger. Plus he did some fine work in the evening on guns. He called it the “+P Powder Eater” as he felt .38+P was the dirtiest ammo you could shoot.
    I believe he died a few years ago, but he trained and authorized Rick Devoid to do the modification, and I think Rick is still working part time.

I have one GP-100 left that Chris worked on, I can try to get a picture of the extractor for you. I believe @JonInWA has a Peters’ gun with this as well.

Edit: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1283776
    Norville, can you share with us the details of the GP100 that Chris worked on for you? He did superb work on two of my Rugers (the GP100, a P94 (944) and supervised the work on my Blackhawk, which he was personally unable to work on due to arthritis. Some of my last communications with him were shortly before he had to step away from Ruger and subsequently passed away; he went out of his way to arrange a one-to-one personal contact for me in his absence; little did I know his illness was terminal.

I personally enjoyed our discussions and reaping the benefits of his work. I'm glad he received and enjoyed the image of me hunting with the Blackhawk that I sent him after hunting with it. He's missed.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Norville, can you share with us the details of the GP100 that Chris worked on for you? He did superb work on two of my Rugers (the GP100, a P94 (944) and supervised the work on my Blackhawk, which he was personally unable to work on due to arthritis. Some of my last communications with him were shortly before he had to step away from Ruger and subsequently passed away; he went out of his way to arrange a one-to-one personal contact for me in his absence; little did I know his illness was terminal.

I personally enjoyed our discussions and reaping the benefits of his work. I'm glad he received and enjoyed the image of me hunting with the Blackhawk that I sent him after hunting with it. He's missed.

Best, Jon
    I have a stainless 4" with his signature "Lynx" package. Full action job, bobbed hammer, polishing and engine turning, chambered and numbered cylinder. I'm trying to upload pics but somehow I am over my quota and can neither delete not add anything. It seems my "site supporter status had lapsed, and with the no bothering policy I didn't know until now. He also did a 3” Security Six, action job, bobbed hammer and patridge front sight.

Edit: fixed and updated.

Name:  IMG_3705.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  79.9 KBName:  IMG_3702.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  55.4 KBName:  IMG_3706.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  81.1 KBName:  IMG_3701.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  72.9 KBName:  IMG_3703.jpg
Size:  45.5 KB
    Last edited by Norville; 04-11-2024 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I have a stainless 4" with his signature "Lynx" package. Full action job, bobbed hammer, polishing and engine turning, chambered and numbered cylinder. I'm trying to upload pics but somehow I am over my quota and can neither delete not add anything. It seems my "site supporter status had lapsed, and with the no bothering policy I didn't know until now. He also did a 3” Security Six, action job, bobbed hammer and patridge front sight.

Edit: fixed and updated.

Name:  IMG_3705.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  79.9 KBName:  IMG_3702.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  55.4 KBName:  IMG_3706.jpg
Size:  81.1 KBName:  IMG_3701.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  72.9 KBName:  IMG_3703.jpg
Size:  45.5 KB
    Can having the hammer bobbed (spur removed) cause light strike issues?

User Tag List