Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Vetting Ruger GP100s for Carry/Defense Use

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Here is how I take my GP100 mainspring off.

MAKE SURE IT'S UNLOADED
    Cock the hammer
    Insert the paperclip

Attachment 117552

Lower the Hammer and the mainspring relaxes

Attachment 117553

It will require some fiddling but the mainspring and strut will come out of the bottom.

Attachment 117554

I can walk you through it via FaceTime or Signal if you would like.
    I got it out, the problem I’m having is getting it back in. I will post a pic of my situation when able.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I got it out, the problem I’m having is getting it back in. I will post a pic of my situation when able.
    It’s like a USB cord, take it out, rotate it 180°, and try again. When that doesn’t work, rotate it 180° and it’ll probably work.

I’ll just show myself out…

@Flamingo
    Here are a couple of pics. The paperclip piece started straight and the spring pressure bent it. I had it attached to the rest of the paperclip but another piece got bent so I just used this little piece (that used to be straight)

Name:  spring1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  23.0 KB
    Name:  spring2.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  21.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    @Flamingo
    Here are a couple of pics. The paperclip piece started straight and the spring pressure bent it. I had it attached to the rest of the paperclip but another piece got bent so I just used this little piece (that used to be straight)
    A small adjustable wrench works well at pushing the mainspring seat down enough to disengage the bent paper clip. You may want to use a small finishing nail instead of that style of paperclip, it seems to be to flimsy.

Name:  IMG_2233.jpeg
Views: 163
Size:  70.4 KB

I had a small cotter pin on the desk and it worked fine.

Name:  IMG_2232.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  26.3 KB

A small adjustable wrench works well at pushing the mainspring seat down enough to disengage the bent paper clip. You may want to use a small finishing nail instead of that style of paperclip, it seems to be to flimsy.

Thank you, I didn’t even think of using an adjustable wrench. I’ll bring the gun to work tomorrow, I should be able to get it done there

EDIT: I managed to do it here at home tonight. Got the gun back together. The adjustable wrench made a big difference!
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 04-23-2024 at 10:42 PM.

I small 2x4 block with a 1/4 hole drilled in the middle makes a great stand to do this or you could od like I did and just make the hole in the bench.

You can also use a vise, use padding material so that the vise jaws don't mar the strut; place the strut in upside-down, and simply use a fork to push down on the spring to allow placement of the seat.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Back in the old days, I think most GP-100s and SP101s came with a small length of drill rod or brass rod to put through that strut 's small hole. I know I lost a few of them back when I was playing musical chairs with revolvers.

Before we moved, the nearby tool and die place used to have a can where all the trashed or broken off twist drill bits went. I went over there with a GP100 strut one day and asked if I could go through the can and find the best close-but-not too-close fit for that takedown pin hole. "Take all you want! Just don't bring any back."

I cut off all but the shank that goes in the drill chuck, took the shank and rounded off the raw end, after which I polished it. The shank should be tough, but not hardened quite like the cutting portion. Makes a dandy, non-bending tool to capture that spring.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

There's a 3" stainless fixed sight GP100 I have my eye on. It would make a decent carry gun with a good IWB holster.

Regarding the vetting subject again, for a serious use defensive carry .357 Magnum revolver that is going to be carried loaded with .357 Magnum ammo, how many rounds of Magnum and how many rounds of Special does it take to consider a particular GP100/revolver "vetted" as reliable?

In my opinion, 200 rounds of range/target ammunition, and 1 box of defensive cartridges would be my minimum..

It would also be ideal to use it in at least one IDPA match (or similar) or training class to help vet you with the revolver in conjunction with you mechanically vetting the gun.

Keep in mind that to me, the vetting process encompasses the gun, you, and your equipment associated with carrying the gun-holster, speedloaders, speed strips, pouches, belt, etc.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List