Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Vetting Ruger GP100s for Carry/Defense Use

If it functions OK when it gets hot, I would leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    If it functions OK when it gets hot, I would leave it at that.
    I spent quite a while at the range today, primarily shooting the GP100 in question but a couple of other guns in between. I put a total of 236 rounds through the GP100. I did experience the sticky cylinder opening/closing at one point, but here's how it broke down:

236rds total
    -50 rounds Magnum fast (got very hot)
    -followed by 30rd Special fast (very hot)
    -18rds Mag (after cooling a little bit)
    -6rds Special (Was sticky closing/opening after this for a little while, set it down and picked up after a minute and it cylinder swung out normal. Gave it a wipedown/scrubbing just before this happened)
    -6rds Spl (it was ok?)
    -122rds Mag, got hot again, ran fine

I was giving it a little wipe down/scrubbing every once in a while once I got past 100 rounds or so.
    So I'm a bit confused why it seems to do it sometimes but not others, many times not doing it even when hotter than comfortable to hold. Is this potentially a problem with the gun? Or some kind of fouling temporarily in the wrong place at the wrong time? Maybe something else?

So let me get this straight: Throughout your session, the GP100 cycled and ran fine, but at the roughly 75 round point, it became a bit difficult to open and close the cylinder until it cooled down a bit (but otherwise operationally it was fine)?

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    So let me get this straight: Throughout your session, the GP100 cycled and ran fine, but at the roughly 75 round point, it became a bit difficult to open and close the cylinder until it cooled down a bit (but otherwise operationally it was fine)?

Best, Jon
    I suppose that is the case. Last time it happened it was a bit less than 75 rounds, but I will need to check my notes. It never happened in the first 1k rounds. Maybe I didn’t get it quite as hot during that time but it did get pretty warm.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

Best, Jon
    Went through my notes again. Yes, you have that straight. Although I think there was a brief moment where the action was stiffer but a quick scrub/wipe in the relevant areas quickly remedied that.

So maybe I'm just reading too much into this and it's fine?

User Tag List