Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vetting Ruger GP100s for Carry/Defense Use

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I have a stainless 4" with his signature "Lynx" package. Full action job, bobbed hammer, polishing and engine turning, chambered and numbered cylinder. I'm trying to upload pics but somehow I am over my quota and can neither delete not add anything. It seems my "site supporter status had lapsed, and with the no bothering policy I didn't know until now. He also did a 3” Security Six, action job, bobbed hammer and patridge front sight.

Edit: fixed and updated.

Attachment 117224Attachment 117222Attachment 117225Attachment 117221Attachment 117223
    Magnificent, both of them. The 3" -Six is truly a grail gun. I have no idea how many GPs (and -Sixes) Chris worked on, but I haven't seen any pop up on any of the auction sites-ever. Because of the time involved, I'd venture a guess of less than a hundred, but that's simply my guess without a shred of substantiating proof. Skip Christie would know, but he passed away years ago, preceding Chris. I'll have to check my notes, but as I recall Chris also had a Blackhawk/Vaquero package and/or al la carte options, and similarly for the SP101.

It looks like the only thing Chris didn't do on yours was to dish in the side of the triggerguard at the front and serrate the front face. Skip and I discussed it regarding mine, and we decided that the juice probably didn't warrant the squeeze, so I passed on it as well.

I feel privileged to have known him and benefitted from his expertise. Both he and Skip were truly a pleasure to work with.

I hope you enjoy both of your examples.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-11-2024 at 03:49 PM.
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Can having the hammer bobbed (spur removed) cause light strike issues?
    That is the subject of many a debate…. Less mass equals more energy due to faster movement, but also less momentum. Most competitive shooters go bobbed for the faster lock time. I have not had any issues I can attribute to it. Both of these two have factory springs, but my wife has no trouble shooting well with the GP after I added the no-groove Hogues.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Magnificent, both of them. The 3" -Six is truly a grail gun. I have no idea how many GPs (and -Sixes) Chris worked on, but I haven't seen any pop up on any of the auction sites-ever. Because of the time involved, I'd venture a guess of less than a hundred, but that's simply my guess without a shred of substantiating proof. Skip Christie would know, but he passed away years ago, preceding Chris. I'll have to check my notes, but as I recall Chris also had a Blackhawk/Vaquero package and/or al la carte options, and similarly for the SP101.

It looks like the only thing Chris didn't do on yours was to dish in the side of the triggerguard at the front and serrate the front face. Skip and I discussed it regarding mine, and we decided that the juice probably didn't warrant the squeeze, so I passed on it as well.

I feel privileged to have known him and benefitted from his expertise. Both he and Skip were truly a pleasure to work with.

I hope you enjoy both of your examples.

Best, Jon

I brought the Six to the Revolver Roundup in ‘19, the last one in Dallas. @Wayne Dobbs asked where he could get a Ruger that felt and shot that good. That’s about the time I learned that Chris was no longer with us. DB was going to give me the history of the 3” Sixes but he didn’t have a chance. I thought they were Postal Inspector guns but he shook his head no.

I had a 6” short lug that he worked on, but traded for an 870 Police (which I still have) but otherwise they were keepers. One night I was at his shop and he had his entire bench covered with S&W parts. He told me to take what I wanted and he was going to put the rest on EBay. I grabbed a few hands and hammers and triggers. Then I asked him if he’d ever work on a Smith. With a shrug he said he’d love to try. The result is here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post971814

He was quite complimentary of the Smith action, and this one is awesome after he polished and fitted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooosh View Post
    As a tangent, does anyone have a photo of an early GP100 extractor with grunge grooves? I never seen one in person, and there doesn't seem to be any useful images online.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Crap. The images are old Photobucket ones; I'll take some new ones!

Here they are...:

Best, Jon
    Well, actually, the early GP100 grooves were not on the extractor star, but on the main part of the cylinder, in the recessed area that accepts the extractor star. This could be a challenge to photograph, in a way that it would show clearly. I think that will have to intentionally dirty part of the area, to provide contrast, and use a real camera, with a macro lens.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    "Grunge grooves" on DA revolvers... who'da thunk it? I should have gotten out more.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    "Grunge grooves" on DA revolvers... who'da thunk it? I should have gotten out more.
    I'm.not sure what Mr. Peters called that modification, but Rick Devoid calls it the "Powder Eater", and will perform the mod on S&W, Ruger and Taurus Revolvers...

Quote Originally Posted by mikey357 View Post
    I'm.not sure what Mr. Peters called that modification, but Rick Devoid calls it the "Powder Eater", and will perform the mod on S&W, Ruger and Taurus Revolvers...
    Chris called it the "+P Powder Eater."

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Can having the hammer bobbed (spur removed) cause light strike issues?
    I believe that it is more of an issue on Colt revolvers than on S&W or Ruger.

Years ago, I removed the spur on a 150- Security-Six with no ill effects.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I put a spurless hammer on my Security Six and I haven't had any issues.

Name:  IMG_2012(1).jpg
Views: 277
Size:  72.1 KB
    Last edited by Flamingo; 04-13-2024 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added pic

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I put a spurless hammer on my Security Six and I haven't had any issues.

Name:  IMG_2012(1).jpg
Views: 277
Size:  72.1 KB
    Handsome grips. Best Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List