Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Building a PC9

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    This thread is reminding me how much I wanted a 18.5” (or shorter) O/U back when I was a guncrazy teen. I want to say it was due to a movie LE character with one - Walking Tall, maybe? This would have been mid to late 70s.
    Sure it wasn't 1991?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tmanposter.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Quite sure - that came out years after I was married. Never saw or even heard of it, actually.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I was hoping you had mâchicoulis. Sad noises.
    Calling @Darth_Uno
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Most of our custom homes aren't designed with siege defense in mind. As such we've not been asked to incorporate too many crenelations, arrow slits, or other defensive architecture. In addition, most modern residential building are merely stick-framed dimensional lumber with at best a non-structural masonry veneer, offering little resistance to projectile siege weapons such as ballistae or trebuchets.

I usually recommend a full 8'+ basement foundation with a concrete floor, vs a crawlspace with dirt/rock. This greatly reduces the chances of invaders tunneling into the structure. However if the budget allows, we suggest tunnels from the structure to strategic or fortified positions in the nearby area. Opsec is key, as discovery of these could work against you. For an additional cost, we can boobytrap the tunnels with snake pits, pendulum blades, and flaming boulders of doom.

Site Supporter
    I suggest you watch anime to get suggestions for monsters to populate the dungeon you will build under your house. If it comes to a time when some evil force is laying siege to our patio home, Condo development - I will call the HOA and complain.

Yean, I got the guns and trained a lot but if civilization fails to the extent of sieges by Mad Max guys, I'm screwed.

We were under siege biologically last night by the local skunk who seems to enjoy letting go outside the bedroom.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Today’s TFB reminded me of another alternative for ban states - the Troy PAR. I remember thinking one might be in my future when I still lived in IL. They claim they are 50 state legal, and now are available in 5.56 and 7.62x51 versions.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Today’s TFB reminded me of another alternative for ban states - the Troy PAR. I remember thinking one might be in my future when I still lived in IL. They claim they are 50 state legal, and now are available in 5.56 and 7.62x51 versions.
    It looks like they’re doing a straight pull one now, too.
    Ken

Photos

Parts shown in the photos, from front to rear;

• Magpul M-LOK swivel attachment
    • Modlite Legacy Enhanced LED-F Light Head (850 lumen | 44,000 cd)
    • Arisaka 600 series light body
    • Arisaka offset scout mount
    • EDCLB WML tailcap
    • Slate Black Industries rail grips
    • Arisaka hand stop
    • Aimpoint ACO in Aimpoint low mount
    • GrovTec GTHM198 hollow stock swivel attachment

Commentary

• With the ACO in the low ring mount, I can get a good cheek weld on the stock
    • The irons are just visible at the bottom of the view through the ACO - I won't know if they're usable until I sight-in both the ACO and the irons
    • The WML, hand stop and grip panels are set up to give me a comfortable grip and good control of the WML
    • The focused hot spot of the WML serves as an effective aiming point out to about 20 feet

The first range session/sighting-in session should happen this weekend!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Most of our custom homes aren't designed with siege defense in mind. As such we've not been asked to incorporate too many crenelations, arrow slits, or other defensive architecture. In addition, most modern residential building are merely stick-framed dimensional lumber with at best a non-structural masonry veneer, offering little resistance to projectile siege weapons such as ballistae or trebuchets.

I usually recommend a full 8'+ basement foundation with a concrete floor, vs a crawlspace with dirt/rock. This greatly reduces the chances of invaders tunneling into the structure. However if the budget allows, we suggest tunnels from the structure to strategic or fortified positions in the nearby area. Opsec is key, as discovery of these could work against you. For an additional cost, we can boobytrap the tunnels with snake pits, pendulum blades, and flaming boulders of doom.
    Hmm...I've always thought a moat sized for and stocked with Orcas would provide a fair midlayer of perimeter security
    Last edited by Dov; 04-27-2024 at 07:21 AM.

Making a few tweaks before the test firing;

• Replacing the Arisaka Hand Stop at the 6 O'clock position with an Arisaka Indexer at the 3 O'clock position. With some experimentation I've found the 3 O'clock position works better for me to leverage my thumb for WML control and leaves the bottom of the rail clean for use on a bag or other support.
    • Installing a TandemKross trigger with shims, pins and an extra power return spring. This arrangement uses the stock hammer and sear so the sear engagement surfaces remain the same, but the trigger has an over-travel limit screw and supposedly has a shorter take up. The flat trigger shape will make it an easier reach for my small hands. I'm going to try the extra power return spring for faster reset as the current pull weight comes in around five pounds from the center of the curved trigger (it will be lower from further down on the flat trigger). No doubt the weight will drop with some use.

Of course, the rifle will remain 100% compliant with NY laws. Test drive this week!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

User Tag List