Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a PC9

Site Supporter
    Joe Biden knows - check out the Biden Invitational Air and Through the Front Door Double Barreled C'mon Man Shoot!

Make sure if you do get a permit, to have Bond Cyclops for a sidearm!
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Would "speed loading" an OU be slower than a side by side?
    The way I did it (just for fun) was to grab the two shells from the caddy and load them one at a time, I just had two in my hand.
    Though my SKB has ejectors instead of extractors (shell lifters, like the pictured Mossberg) so it tosses the shells clear, ironically that is often an undesirable feature because I am stopping them with my hand so I can save them and not have to go back and pick them up. So for the safe queen match I just let them fly!
    But this year I plan to us a Mossberg 500 I bought, mainly to get back in a pump gun groove, but I might take one of my shell caddies and get some twin loading practice in the process.

Site Supporter
    Years ago there was a thread on TPI (at least I think it was TPI but it could have been SDF) started by someone trying to work around Australia’s long gun restrictions. Handguns, semiauto long guns, and pump action long guns were out of the question. If I recall correctly, his plan ended up being to fire his first 2 shots from a double barrel shotgun and then switch to a bolt action rifle with a detachable magazine for the faster reloads.

Hopefully the courts in this country will start getting the 2nd amendment right before we reach that point in any US states.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I haven't been able to find it, but a few years ago there was a youtube video of Clint Smith running a single shot break action. He was keeping up the usual gravelly patter while keeping up a regular fusillade - a shot every 2 or 3 seconds, without appearing to hurry. It was one of the models that ejected the spent shell when you opened the action. His technique was to keep the barrel up horizontal, let the back end drop while his right hand reached for a new shell (outside the field of view - cartridge belt? row on a table?), as the spent case shot back over his shoulder his right hand was coming up, new shell in, raise stock, boom, repeat. It was a really nice example of 'archer, not arrow'. I sure wouldn't want to be going down a hallway he was defending.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    I sure wouldn't want to be going down a hallway he was defending.
    ^^^THIS^^^

A single (or double) may not be optimal for clearing a shoot house, but for in-home self defense from an easily-defended position (end of hallway, behind closed bedroom door, etc.) I would not feel terribly disadvantaged.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Defining the Mission

Our house in NH is a 2-story Garrison with the bedrooms on the second floor. There is only one staircase leading up to it, and the staircase is easily defended from the top. While the 11-87 is not far away, the PPS sits on my night stand and is the go-to gun should the situation arise (alarm tripped, dogs barking). In combination with a high-candela hand held light, I feel the EDC PPS is a viable choice for these circumstances;

The 11-87 obviously brings superior close-range ballistics to the equation, but at the cost of bulk and weight (38" AOL, just over 9 lbs. with WML and four rounds in the side saddle). The wood furniture is a joy to behold, but its bulkier contours, slippery surface and the stout 12 gauge recoil makes the 11-87 more difficult to maintain a firm grip on.

The house we're moving into is a ranch, with the bedrooms at the end of the hallway. Not as easily defended as a staircase, but still workable. With the handguns gone (as well as the little used AR), I'm envisioning the shorter, lighter and more ergonomic PC9 filling this home defense role. The detachable magazine will allow me to comfortably keep ten rounds on my person in a JMCK magazine carrier, and to more quickly get the PC9 into action vs. the 11-87. Additionally, in combination with better ergonomics, a RDS and an easier-to-reach WML of higher output, the carbine will be faster to get on-target. With a 16-inch barrel and 147 grain loads, the report inside an enclosed area will be more tolerable and the much lower recoil will aid in staying on target. Other than concealment and ease-of-carry, I feel it will be far superior to any 9 mm handgun for in-home and/or close-range defense. At approximately 34 inches in AOL and a total weight of about eight pounds, I think this PC9 will excel at its intended role of in-home and close-range defense.

I'm also setting up the PC9 to use the Magpul MS4 sling that I had on my AR. The PC9 will be set up with swivel sockets front and rear for 2-point configuration, and one on the receiver rail for single-point configuration. I'm thinking the single point configuration will be ideal.

I'm still waiting for the SOBs at the LGS to log-in and be ready to transfer the PC9 to me (it's been sitting there since Friday). Other than a few minor items, I have everything on-hand to assemble the final configuration, including the Aimpoint ACO in an Aimpoint low ring mount. I think it's going to work out very nicely, here's a Photoshop rendition of how the ACO will sit on the PC9;

It appears the irons will be visible in the lower 1/4 (or so) of the RDS, making them viable for emergency back-up.

Maybe I'm going overboard, but I'm equipping this carbine with quality accessories and have so far avoided any Chinesium. In accordance with NY law, I will be limited to 10-round magazines and will use the nicely-made metal Ruger Security-9 mags (I won't be owning a Glock pistol, so no reason to use Glock magazines). I picked up a few Ruger magazines for the Security-9 compact which are shorter and don't protrude as far from the mag well.

Photos of the fully NY compliant PC9 should be forthcoming this weekend.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Our house in NH is a 2-story Garrison...
    So that’s what those are called! Derry and Londonderry were full of them.

I think your PC9 will be well suited to the task at hand.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    I sure wouldn't want to be going down a hallway he was defending.
    Back when H&R was a thing it seems like you could not swing a dead cat and not hit one of those guns, and I always figured I would trip over one someday, cut it back to 18.5in, shorten the stock a little, hit the whole thing with a rattle can, get some kind of shell saddle and fill it full of 3in shells, probably about 32in OAL.

And now this thread leads me to Google, and it turns out Savage has one with a nice synthetic stock and a low MSRP. This damn place...

Site Supporter
    Back to the NTI - one guy in front of me, down the hallway. One guy to my right. Two shots. BTW, the theory was that with a mix of slugs and shot, you were supposed to feel the front of the rounds mixed in the box and pick the appropriate. In reality, I just grabbed rounds, loaded and shot. Then a guy (target) is exposed on my left - close up. So I butt stroke him as said. The RO said that works.

Yeah, if bunkered up, perhaps a double barrel will work. Certainly impress the first guy. Yes, this is an attack of the ninjas fantasy. But I bunker up here with the 8 shot pump with Flite Control and the Ruger PCC, with an extra mag attached to that gun. Slugs and OO attached to the pump stuck. However, a wave of Glocks first.

Then there are the 1911 and revolvers - then the Glock knife, my wooden vampire stake. Getting a touch silly. The Glock and Surefire are the real go to. My small town neighborhood has never seen a home invasion. The last killing, sadly, was the estranged husband - parents and soon to be ex. Across from the fancy golf country club.

The bear is 6 miles away. The neighbors are geezers and a young nice family. Some of the geezers are ex-military and law.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Back when H&R was a thing it seems like you could not swing a dead cat and not hit one of those guns, and I always figured I would trip over one someday, cut it back to 18.5in, shorten the stock a little, hit the whole thing with a rattle can, get some kind of shell saddle and fill it full of 3in shells, probably about 32in OAL.

And now this thread leads me to Google, and it turns out Savage has one with a nice synthetic stock and a low MSRP. This damn place...
    I'm not familiar with the Savage. If you want to do the Clint Smith thing, I think you want one that A)ejects on open and B)cocks on close. At least I don't remember him cocking an exposed hammer (but it could be my senility kicking in). But the ones that only move the fired shell out a fraction of an inch and then you have to pluck it out would be a lot slower than the ones that send it zinging out, because his right hand was going for the next shell while that was happening. Or maybe I'm being senile again :-)

User Tag List