Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A USPSA/IDPA Gear Question...

A USPSA/IDPA Gear Question...

This is a question aimed mainly at people who shoot both IDPA and USPSA with the same pistol. When competing, do you use a different holster/mag pouch setup for IPDA vs. USPSA, or do you use the same belt/holster/mag carriers for both games?

I shot a USPSA match yesterday with the same Ready Tactical holster and mag carriers that I usually use for IDPA (five mag pouches instead of two, of course.) I didn't notice any changes in my performance; in fact, I shot a pretty good match overall. It got me wondering if using a different rig for different games is buying me anything.

Thoughts?
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

I'm guessing that you are shooting Production class in USPSA and either SSP or ESP in IDPA. if that's the case I doubt you are loosing anything by using your IDPA rig in Production class. Production's equipment placement rules are similar enough to the IDPA rules sans the concealment rule, so I'd go with your IDPA rig and be done with it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I use the same equipment in both IDPA ESP/SSP and USPSA Production. Comp-Tac belt holster and two mag holders for IDPA and the same Comp-Tac belt holster and a Comp-Tac 'Belt Fed' for USPSA. Both games, P30 or P30L.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    This is a question aimed mainly at people who shoot both IDPA and USPSA with the same pistol. When competing, do you use a different holster/mag pouch setup for IPDA vs. USPSA, or do you use the same belt/holster/mag carriers for both games?

I shot a USPSA match yesterday with the same Ready Tactical holster and mag carriers that I usually use for IDPA (five mag pouches instead of two, of course.) I didn't notice any changes in my performance; in fact, I shot a pretty good match overall. It got me wondering if using a different rig for different games is buying me anything.

Thoughts?
    The same. I shoot SSP and Production. Same Comp-tac holster and Ready Tac mag pouches.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I'm guessing that you are shooting Production class in USPSA and either SSP or ESP in IDPA.
    Yup, USPSA Production and IDPA SSP/ESP, all with the same Glock 34. I'll likely keep working with my IDPA gear for a while, and see how it goes. Thanks for all the replies.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Site Supporter
    Chris,

Were you using some type of DOH holster for Production? I used to use a DOH, but stopped when I was shooting both SSP/ESP and Production on a regular basis. Having the gun in the same place for both games was just easier.

I use the same type of mag pouches for both as well, but I move them to the forward most point allowed for Production when Shooting USPSA. Mostly because I couldn't get 5 pouches on my belt any other way.

I shoot both production and SSP with a P226 out of an ALS/SLS (6360) rig. It rides on a web version of my duty belt in an effort to keep things as consistent as possible with my work stuff. I obviously add mag pouches as needed for USPSA but aside from that, it's identical.

Same rig right down to the belt. The only difference between the USPSA setup vs IDPA is that when I shoot USPSA I have more mags and run the inner/outer CR Speed belt, when I shoot IDPA I just thread the outer belt through my belt loops.

Same holster, mag pouches and M&P Pro 9mm in IDPA SSP and USPSA Limited/Production. I do run an Arredondo +5 extension when running Limited.

That's one of the many benefits to shooting Production and SSP. You only need one set of gear to be competitive and compliant with both sets of rules. I actually found a drop-offset holster to hinder my performance, as its location is different enough from my normal concealed carry holster and my IDPA holster that I screwed up more than one draw.
    Shooter's Digest Blog

User Tag List