Thread: Fitting a revolver hand?

Fitting a revolver hand?

One of the French SP101s I bought a couple of years ago has a problem where the cylinder doesn’t lock up as tight as it should and can be spun without much effort when it should be locked. Reading and asking questions suggested the hand was worn. Purchased a new one from Midway and installed it which fixed the initial problem but created another where it hangs up when cocking for single action. I put it away and actually got an RMA from Ruger last October but still haven’t sent it in.

I keep looking at it and thinking fitting the hand shouldn’t be that difficult. I’m guessing it’s a little too tall but I’m not 100 percent sure.

What do I need to be looking for to see what needs to be adjusted?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Could be too tall or too wide. Also sometimes need to open up the window in the frame with a wider hand.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    One of the French SP101s I bought a couple of years ago has a problem where the cylinder doesn’t lock up as tight as it should and can be spun without much effort when it should be locked. Reading and asking questions suggested the hand was worn. Purchased a new one from Midway and installed it which fixed the initial problem but created another where it hangs up when cocking for single action. I put it away and actually got an RMA from Ruger last October but still haven’t sent it in.

I keep looking at it and thinking fitting the hand shouldn’t be that difficult. I’m guessing it’s a little too tall but I’m not 100 percent sure.

What do I need to be looking for to see what needs to be adjusted?
    Remove the new hand and look for the wear marks are from the interference.

You could also have a worn locking bolt from the symptoms you've described.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List