Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Civilian Patrols

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    This is a bit of a tangent, but then, this is the PF... I've always thought that one of the reasons that the 1950's was kind of a heyday for American society was, we had all the veterans from WWII walking the streets - and they were not going to put up with any shitty behavior out of anyone.
    Agree 100%. Those guys weren't just walking the streets, they were teaching school, selling insurance, pumping gas, building bridges, raising kids, and just generally being part of everyday life. People also tended to turn a blind eye if they got close to the line on a few things if it kept the larger population safe.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    A regular occurrence and likely to get ROR.
    And I wonder how much probation he will get?
    That is an obvious April Fools joke, we all know he will not show up for court.

Not citizen patrol related but,

When I was in highschool my parents owned and operated a restaurant. There really wasn't much of a police presence where we lived which was 20 miles from the nearest town. There was a sheriff's deputy but he had a large area to patrol. There were no banks near by so my dad carried cash to and from the restaurant every day. He made a trip to the bank once a week. He carried a shotgun with a 16" barrel in his vehicle. It went into the restaurant in the morning and back out when they closed. He was a WW2 combat vet. He didn't like the idea of being robbed.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-01-2024 at 10:34 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Not citizen patrol related but,

When I was in highschool my parents owned and operated a restaurant. There really wasn't much of a police presence where we lived which was 20 miles from the nearest town. There was a sheriff's deputy but he had a large area to patrol. There were no banks near by so my dad carried cash to and from the restaurant every day. He made a trip to the bank once a week. He carried a shotgun with a 16" barrel in his vehicle. It went into the restaurant in the morning and back out when they closed. He was a WW2 combat vet. He didn't like the idea of being robbed.
    Back in High School I worked for a large grocery chain as a courtesy clerk (bag boy) and then stock clerk. I occasionally had to go with a manager to make the bank deposit. All of a block away but store policy was two people on a cash run. The cash bag came with a store issued pistol. Something small and .22. I want to say a tip-up Beretta but don't quite remember. A shotgun would have been more comforting 😀 Not that I ever felt threatened on the trip but still, if you care enough to arm the employees something heftier seems in order...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

In the dim distant past of the first half of the 20th, my Dad worked in a grocery store. The manager would take the day's receipts to the bank. He was held up one day, so the next day he had the money in his pocket and a .45 in the money bag with his hand inside on the butt. He took Dad along as a witness. Sure enough the punks returned to the well and when one of them produced his .32, Boss shot him down. No legal fuss was made over a businessman defending himself and his livelihood in the Depression.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    In the dim distant past of the first half of the 20th, my Dad worked in a grocery store. The manager would take the day's receipts to the bank. He was held up one day, so the next day he had the money in his pocket and a .45 in the money bag with his hand inside on the butt. He took Dad along as a witness. Sure enough the punks returned to the well and when one of them produced his .32, Boss shot him down. No legal fuss was made over a businessman defending himself and his livelihood in the Depression.
    They should make a movie out of that and show it every Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Meanwhile in New Haven. A regular occurrence and likely to get ROR.

On March 30th around 5:15pm, an officer on patrol was alerted by a citizen who reported a silver Audi traveling at a high rate of speed through several intersections and was completely disregarding several stop signs.
    The Officer observed the Audi, and attempted to conduct a motor vehicle stop on Elm Street after observing numerous motor vehicle violations.
    The Audi failed to pull over, and sped away from the Officer in an attempt to elude police towards New Haven. A second Officer was preemptively positioned nearby and deployed "stop sticks" which were successful in flattening two tires as the Audi entered New Haven.
    After a brief pursuit, the Audi struck a curb and became disabled on Sherman Parkway and Legion Avenue in New Haven.
    Once disabled, Officers observed two individuals running away from the vehicle on foot.
    After a foot pursuit, both individuals who ran from the Audi were apprehended by West Haven Patrol Officers with the assistance from the Departments Street Crime Unit.
    A subsequent search of the Audi revealed a stolen Glock 19 handgun with a high capacity magazine that was beyond the legally allowed limit. The Glock was illegally altered to have a switch, making the Glock handgun fire as fully automatic. Also located was 240 bags of fentanyl/heroin.
    The driver was identified as Tyquan M. Ford DOB 11/16/2002
    of New Haven.
    Ford was found to have an active protective order prohibiting from possessing firearms. He was processed and charged with the following:
    - Illegal Possession of an Assault Weapon,
    - Illegal Possession of a High Capacity Magazine,
    - Possession of a Stolen Firearm,
    - Criminal Possession of a Firearm,
    - Violation of a Protective Order,
    - Possession With Intent to Sell Narcotics,
    - Conspiracy to Commit Possession WITS,
    - Reckless Driving,
    - Engaging Police in Pursuit,
    - Reckless Endangerment 1st,
    - Interfering With an Officer
    Anyone want to give odds on how many of those weapons charges will be plea bargained away?

But.... WE NEED MORE GUN CONTROL LAWS!
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Remember when we first moved into our house in North Central jersey, there were township signs the read "Neighborhood Watch".....but they have since long been taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Face Gremlin View Post
    Remember when we first moved into our house in North Central jersey, there were township signs the read "Neighborhood Watch".....but they have since long been taken down.
    For years my wife's home town had a 'patrolled by the Mxxxxx Vigilantes for Justice' sign right under the 'Welcome To...'. Finally switched to something like 'a neighborhood watch community' in place of the Vigilantes sign just the last couple years... They had a nasty reputation for a, likely racially motivated, lynching in the '80's(?) but firmly refused to change the sign forever...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    I have also thought for a long time that, one of the failings of modern America (say in the last 20 years) is that individuals have become too specialized. Need a battery for the car? Call a mechanic. Need a dishwasher installed? Call a plumber. Americans have largely farmed out their personal protection to LE.
    I've long heard about this over specialization concern but I don't see it. It may be an educated class or urban phenomenon, but it's certainly not dominate in the circles I run in.

Post-COVID my city/county has seen a *big* uptick in justified shoots by civilian shooters. Much of this is in what could be described as shady on shadier crime incidents, you can sell drugs without losing your right to self-defense if someone tries to rob you sort of things, so not really what's under discussion here. I don't know if "constitutional carry" has had any impact on this or not, but there is some correlation in the time line.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List