Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferred AR barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Larue still shows a complete 18” 6.5 Grendel MGU upper - yours is different?
    Not really, except I put it together.

I don't know if you were familiar with LaRue's Ultimate Upper program, but essentially it was a complete unassembled rifle minus the lower receiver. For some reason $791.00 sticks in my head as to what I paid. They had an assembly option which had then assemble and test fire the upper which then gave you the one MOA guarantee. I think it was $200.00 more. No big deal because at 100 yards off bags and the bench I can do that all day with Hornady 123gr ELD's. - so I must not have screwed up the assembly too bad.

I bought mine, put it together and stuck it on a lower while I was waiting for my LaRue lower to come in. My only complaint is that I don't particularly care for billet receivers, like the looks of the forged ones.

Here's an article: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/lar...for-under-900/
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Not really, except I put it together.

I don't know if you were familiar with LaRue's Ultimate Upper program, but essentially it was a complete unassembled rifle minus the lower receiver. For some reason $791.00 sticks in my head as to what I paid. They had an assembly option which had then assemble and test fire the upper which then gave you the one MOA guarantee. I think it was $200.00 more. No big deal because at 100 yards off bags and the bench I can do that all day with Hornady 123gr ELD's. - so I must not have screwed up the assembly too bad.

I bought mine, put it together and stuck it on a lower while I was waiting for my LaRue lower to come in. My only complaint is that I don't particularly care for billet receivers, like the looks of the forged ones.

Here's an article: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/lar...for-under-900/
    I heard about those! That was a great deal.

I was lucky enough to get my LaRue 16” and 12” uppers for sale price, 40% or so off IIRC.

Part of the stash I’m using is the second blowout complete lower I picked up last year - they were $200 for entire assembled lowers with their trigger. Even if I pay full price for one of their 6.5G uppers I’m still ahead of the game.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I pussed out and ordered a complete 6.5G upper.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

LaRue?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Nice! Let me know if you need a good load recipe. There aren't that many options for 6.5G, which I think is a good thing. This caliber is the easy button.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

But WTH, no reason to not keep building the other upper...

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    LaRue?
    Si. I’ve had such good luck with my other two I decided to just wince and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Nice! Let me know if you need a good load recipe. There aren't that many options for 6.5G, which I think is a good thing. This caliber is the easy button.
    Yes, please! I need to find my press, it’s in a storage locker. How is it on brass? (I know, that’s something I should have considered before jumping.)

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    But WTH, no reason to not keep building the other upper...
    My friend has been begging me for it, so…
    Ken

Preferred AR barrels?

Yes, please! I need to find my press, it’s in a storage locker. How is it on brass? (I know, that’s something I should have considered before jumping.)
    Brass is relatively cheap, and lasts a good while. I use Alexander Arms brass. Hornady brass is equivalent. I don't recommend other brands unless they have equivalent case capacity (at a premium in this caliber).

Clusterfrack's OCW 6.5 Grendel load
    [Use load at your own risk. Always check against a book, and work up slowly]
    Small Rifle Military Primers
    COL: 2.250"
    123gr Sierra Match King
    28.3 grains XBR 8208

2450fps from a 16" barrel
    Vetted to 1150yds

What about other bullets, like Hornady ELD-m? I found only a marginal increase in velocity but lost transonic stability. As far as I can tell lighter bullets are only useful for shorter ranges or hunting applications.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-01-2024 at 10:26 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Brass is relatively cheap, and lasts a good while. I use Alexander Arms brass. Hornady brass is equivalent. I don't recommend other brands unless they have equivalent case capacity (at a premium in this caliber).

Clusterfrack's OCW 6.5 Grendel load
    [Use load at your own risk. Always check against a book, and work up slowly]
    Small Rifle Military Primers
    123gr Sierra Match King
    28.3 grains XBR 8208

2450fps from a 16" barrel
    Vetted to 1150yds

What about other bullets, like Hornady ELD-m? I found only a marginal increase in velocity but lost transonic stability. As far as I can tell lighter bullets are only useful for shorter ranges or hunting applications.
    Thank you!
    Ken

Name:  IMG_0245.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  99.0 KB
    Ken

User Tag List