Thread: "Spring Clip" Handgun Retention?

"Spring Clip" Handgun Retention?

I RO'ed a guy (in Steel Challenge) yesterday who was running a Glock with what looked like a very large spring clip mounted on the right side of the slide serving as holster retention. Is this a thing? After his first draw I changed position since he was having a bit of difficulty getting the gun out clean; not scary enough to DQ, but definitely wanted to be well clear of the muzzle. Of course I've never RO'ed someone with a machete in a belt-mounted scabbard; don't recall this being prohibit gear so fire away. He was a reasonable hand with iron sights. We got hit with rain and hail, match called, so no opportunity to explore this setup variant.

Was it a lever like what GX Products sells?

Site Supporter
    I have not seen that before.

I can only hope people like the guy you RO’ed figure out in a match that their setup does not work well, and consider alternatives. Unfortunately the time ai watched a guy compete in an IDPA match with an IWB holster set up for cavalry draw, I do not think he figured it out. Both the RO and the other competitors tried without success to enlighten him. In your case I think you made the right choice to let him continue but with caution for safety. Hopefully he saw how much more difficulty he had than everyone else.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Are you talking about this?

Name:  LC9S.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  Optimized-Ruger-LC9-4-e1559666125643.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  25.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Are you talking about this?

Name:  LC9S.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  Optimized-Ruger-LC9-4-e1559666125643.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  25.9 KB
    Could have been something like that. What could go wrong?

Well, they make something akin to above for Glock. Might have been it. Beyond the obvious "this is a bad idea", using a kydex holster if you don't pull at exactly the correct angle the spring pressure gets fierce. I'm under the impression this setup was an afterthought along with the machete.

Was it a Clipdraw? ETA: Disregard, the Clipdraw pictures above didn’t load for me initially.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joker581 View Post
    Was it a Clipdraw? ETA: Disregard, the Clipdraw pictures above didn’t load for me initially.
    That’s what I was about to suggest. A buddy of mine who carries a gun professionally has used a G27/27 with clipdraw for a dozen years for minimalist carry. When used with a Kydex trigger guard I couldn’t really object with his results.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I RO'ed a guy (in Steel Challenge) yesterday who was running a Glock with what looked like a very large spring clip mounted on the right side of the slide serving as holster retention. Is this a thing? After his first draw I changed position since he was having a bit of difficulty getting the gun out clean; not scary enough to DQ, but definitely wanted to be well clear of the muzzle. Of course I've never RO'ed someone with a machete in a belt-mounted scabbard; don't recall this being prohibit gear so fire away. He was a reasonable hand with iron sights. We got hit with rain and hail, match called, so no opportunity to explore this setup variant.
    It is a thing for people who don’t know any better. Caring the Glock inside the waistband without a covered trigger is asking for trouble.

It might be workable for something with a long, full double action trigger, but not on a striker fire gun.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It is a thing for people who don’t know any better. Caring the Glock inside the waistband without a covered trigger is asking for trouble.

It might be workable for something with a long, full double action trigger, but not on a striker fire gun.
    Not me either .. lot of options out there ..!!

User Tag List