Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RDR Gear vs Centrifuge TQ mounting question

RDR Gear vs Centrifuge TQ mounting question

I have searched the net and cannot find anything. Does anyone know anything about the RDR vs Centrifuge TQ plates for duty holsters? Looking at them I see differences but cannot figure out if one should be preferred over the other, or if it just does not matter. They both appear to fit an RDS Safariland duty holster.

Site Supporter
    The one that centrifuge sells is the original version and RDR gear is a copy of the original. I have a few of the centrifuge sold version and it is solid and has a lot of guys at my old department still use them. I don't know how well the RDR one holds up.

The plates sold by Centrifuge Training and made up in Canada are better solutions. More elegant, no mods to holster, etc.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    The plates sold by Centrifuge Training and made up in Canada are better solutions. More elegant, no mods to holster, etc.
    I think RDR has their "strut" that may require mods or various attachment points, and their "plate" that works the same way as the Centrifuge. I think I will go with centrifuge as that is the one everyone seems familiar with. Unfortunately out of stock at the moment.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I think RDR has their "strut" that may require mods or various attachment points, and their "plate" that works the same way as the Centrifuge. I think I will go with centrifuge as that is the one everyone seems familiar with. Unfortunately out of stock at the moment.
    Don't know how much of an issue this is to you, but Safariland was very clear a couple of years ago when I inquired about these. They were very popular with some of the younger cops. Anyway, answer was that use of these on a Safariland holster voided the manufacturers warranty. They're very skittish about anything messing with the holster-UBL interface ever since that So Cal incident involving the holster with the G Code adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Don't know how much of an issue this is to you, but Safariland was very clear a couple of years ago when I inquired about these. They were very popular with some of the younger cops. Anyway, answer was that use of these on a Safariland holster voided the manufacturers warranty. They're very skittish about anything messing with the holster-UBL interface ever since that So Cal incident involving the holster with the G Code adapter.
    That's an answer they like to give because they were supposedly working on something similar. It was a hangup for our admin but when it comes down to it, we never sent holsters in for warranty so it was not an issue really.

I was unaware of that. Thank You. I don't think it makes a difference absent some evidence of an actual problem and I have never heard of that and I know these brackets are in fairly widespread use.

I used an RDR gear while on duty. It did what I wanted it to do. I would make sure you locktite, obviously. The majority of deputies (experienced and newer, SWAT and patrol) at the agency I worked for used RDRgear without issue. I tried to hold out for their more adjustable version, but wanted to get a TQ on my duty belt prior to their release. If I was buying it today, I'd probably go with this one: https://rdrgear.com/collections/hols...ter-hanger-mh2

I've recently seen it mentioned a few times that the "younger cops" and "newer cops" liked RDR gear. It seems like a knock against younger cops, newer cops, and RDR gear. Frankly, I fail to see new cops looking for solutions to carry a TQ efficiently as a negative. If the agency policy allows it, and the individual wants to be better prepared I think that's something that should be encouraged. At a minimum it shouldn't be looked at in a negative light. And as far as RDR gear goes, they offer a good product at cheaper price than centrifuge. They're certainly of a duty quality and not the equivalent of an amazon.com or wish.com purchase.

In fact, centrifuge used to promote RDR gear's TQ mounts. They worked on them together during development before they went separate ways. This link shows a search of "rdr" on centrifuge's facebook page. You'll see that they promoted RDR gear TQ strut in 2018, the TQ plate in 2019 where they developed it together. You'll also see posts promoting the centrifuge plate (without RDR) in 2020.
    https://www.facebook.com/profile/100.../search/?q=rdr

So the concept that RDR is a subpar rip off by a shyster company, that is only popular with younger, newer (read that as stupid and naive) cops just doesn't hold much water with me.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I used an RDR gear while on duty. It did what I wanted it to do. I would make sure you locktite, obviously. The majority of deputies (experienced and newer, SWAT and patrol) at the agency I worked for used RDRgear without issue. I tried to hold out for their more adjustable version, but wanted to get a TQ on my duty belt prior to their release. If I was buying it today, I'd probably go with this one: https://rdrgear.com/collections/hols...ter-hanger-mh2

I've recently seen it mentioned a few times that the "younger cops" and "newer cops" liked RDR gear. It seems like a knock against younger cops, newer cops, and RDR gear. Frankly, I fail to see new cops looking for solutions to carry a TQ efficiently as a negative. If the agency policy allows it, and the individual wants to be better prepared I think that's something that should be encouraged. At a minimum it shouldn't be looked at in a negative light. And as far as RDR gear goes, they offer a good product at cheaper price than centrifuge. They're certainly of a duty quality and not the equivalent of an amazon.com or wish.com purchase.

In fact, centrifuge used to promote RDR gear's TQ mounts. They worked on them together during development before they went separate ways. This link shows a search of "rdr" on centrifuge's facebook page. You'll see that they promoted RDR gear TQ strut in 2018, the TQ plate in 2019 where they developed it together. You'll also see posts promoting the centrifuge plate (without RDR) in 2020.
    https://www.facebook.com/profile/100.../search/?q=rdr

So the concept that RDR is a subpar rip off by a shyster company, that is only popular with younger, newer (read that as stupid and naive) cops just doesn't hold much water with me.
    I agree that getting cops to carry emergency medical gear, especially tourniquet, is a good thing. I actually tried to get our academy First Aid/CPR staff to get interested in this stuff in the early 2000s. The response was beyond lack of interest.....they actively opposed the effort, even though I had identified courses for folks to attend, the NSNs of all the relevant products, and UASI funding available to pay for all of it. Lazy POS's.

I actually contacted Safariland BECAUSE the items were so popular, and guys were putting them on department issued holsters themselves. Took me 6 months to get an answer out of Safariland, but I'm convinced their fear of another incident like the failure of the G Code mount in SoCal was the deciding negative factor.

During the research on this, I came across some research on tourniquet durability after prolonged exposure to UV and moisture that caused me to rethink exposed tourniquet use (thanks @TGS). The department eventually bought enclosed Med pouches for the duty belt, and for the approved External vest carriers. That's how I prefer tourniquet to be carried for LE.

I agree that getting cops to carry emergency medical gear, especially tourniquet, is a good thing. I actually tried to get our academy First Aid/CPR staff to get interested in this stuff in the early 2000s. The response was beyond lack of interest.....they actively opposed the effort, even though I had identified courses for folks to attend, the NSNs of all the relevant products, and UASI funding available to pay for all of it. Lazy POS's.

I actually contacted Safariland BECAUSE the items were so popular, and guys were putting them on department issued holsters themselves. Took me 6 months to get an answer out of Safariland, but I'm convinced their fear of another incident like the failure of the G Code mount in SoCal was the deciding negative factor.

During the research on this, I came across some research on tourniquet durability after prolonged exposure to UV and moisture that caused me to rethink exposed tourniquet use (thanks @TGS). The department eventually bought enclosed Med pouches for the duty belt, and for the approved External vest carriers. That's how I prefer tourniquet to be carried for LE.
    That's interesting about Safariland. I'm pretty sure stuff like that would apply to any holster mount TQ. The inertia against young go-getters in institutional settings is nothing new though. Some of the piss and vinegar leads to foolish mistakes, and some leads to improvement. I wonder if the 10th legion had the same issues, because I'm betting it's been that way a long time. I'm unfamiliar with the G code thing. I'll look it up.

The holster brackets being discussed don't come with the actual tourniquet holster. Most people use the Eleven10 with an exposed top, but other pouch/holsters could be used as well. There are closed top soft pouches from Eleven10 as well but I don't know if there are hard shell closed top. That would probably fix the UV concerns. I still think it's a good solution to space saving on the belt. Small waisted folks, or folks at an agency that requires everything but Batman's grappling hook be on the belt could benefit. My foray into LE was very brief so I won't speak as an authority on it, I will say my agency allowed a lot of freedom with the duty belt (anything, as long as it's in basket weave) and that the majority of deputies were using TQ brackets. There was discussion with the training LT about issuing the brackets but it hadn't come through yet. The deputy driving that change is a younger guy, prior military, on SWAT, and was one of my FTOs. The agency has a solid tax base, and is relatively forward thinking compared to surrounding agencies. I think it's really a when not if that they begin issuing them.

User Tag List