Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun 40S&W Pistol

Fun 40S&W Pistol

During the last two big ammo shortages, many of us noticed that 9mm and 45ACP were nowhere to be found, but 40 S&W was usually on the shelf. I am pretty well stocked with reloading supplies for 9mm, but it is nice to have a gun where you can always find ammo for it regardless of the political environment.
    With that in mind, I am looking for a do-it-all semi auto pistol in 40 S&W. it should be accurate, reliable and durable, but mostly it should be fun. It won’t come out of the safe too often, but when it does I want to enjoy shooting it. I welcome your suggestions…

Here are some super non-fun 40 pistols (from my experience only):
    Glock 27
    Glock 23
    HK P30 (surprised at how snappy this was)
    Beretta 96 (too bad. I am a Beretta da/sa fanboy)

I do have a few early leaders in my search:
    PX4 - i truly love shooting my 9mm, but have not tried in 40.
    M&P40 2.0 - I have been shooting my M&P9’s more than any other pistol, and they are my favorite of the striker guns.
    And I regret having sold my old CZ P06. That was a great pistol. I don’t see them for sale very often though.

The Gen 5 22/23 are completely different animals than early generations, and are much more fun to shoot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

P229.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    P229.
    I just wish those classic metal Sigs weren’t so righty oriented. I used to own a west german P210, but sold it.
    I have a Sig 226 Legion SAO in 9 mm, and that is a beauty and a great shooter. It is the gun people reach for when I take friends shooting. I wish Sig made the 229 Legion SAO in 40.

Have you shot a Gen5 23 or 27? They are a totally different experience compared to earlier Glock .40s. My 27.5 is actually pleasant.

Edit - GJM beat me to it.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 03-27-2024 at 07:36 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I'd go with the M&P. The 1.0s can usually be found as LE trade-ins for under $300 and don't suffer from the accuracy issues the 9x19 1.0s had. Magazines are relatively cheap too. I have an M&P40 1.0 with a TLR 1 that pulls full-time nightstand duty.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Have you shot a Gen5 23 or 27? They are a totally different experience compared to earlier Glock .40s. My 27.5 is actually pleasant.

Edit - GJM beat me to it.
    I haven’t. I still own a GEN5 G34 and 43X, but I ditched the rest of my Glocks for M&Ps.
    It’s good to know Glock improved the product and the experience. The Gen 3/4 40 guns were unpleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    You didn’t say affordable, so how about a 2011? Since the .40 fell out of favor with LE agencies, USPSA Limited Division is where .40 actually has a place.

On the other end of the race gun vs. reliability spectrum, I would go with an HK USP40 or USP40c.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    You didn’t say affordable, so how about a 2011? Since the .40 fell out of favor with LE agencies, USPSA Limited Division is where .40 actually has a place.

On the other end of the race gun vs. reliability spectrum, I would go with an HK USP40 or USP40c.
    To me, HK’s are one of those guns you shoot because you know they will work. But except for my P7 (another regretful sale) I would never call any of them “fun”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Sig 1911 in 40S&W that is just a joy to shoot and scary accurate. The only 40S&W that I have left and I don't think I'm ever getting rid of it.

User Tag List