Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clarity on Oklahoma CCW

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Overview on page 1 and OK specific starts on page 10 through 17 (labeled page 44 for whatever reason)
    https://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/tribal_law_ccw2.pdf

Would be interested to hear from locals who deal with this in reality...
    Also interested to know how the realities differ from nation to nation.
    @fatdog This link is a pretty good one.

Tribes are all over the map (in a manner of speaking), in that they all have their own codes. Most tribal courts only deal with municipal code leaving criminal matters up to the feds, but there are a few rare exceptions. Also tribes also have their own differing agreements with the BIA and what the BIA allows them to handle on their own and tribal services vary greatly. As stated in that link, his info is only a starting point. It gets very time consuming trying to get a handle on what you can do and what you can't on tribal lands. It also happens to be that the tribes themselves don't even know what's allowed in some cases.

I looked into it a bit sometime back when I was considering moving onto tribal land. My ex-wife was a tribal member. This particular tribe also opened a gun range complete with machine gun rentals on tribal land! That got me interested in finding out just how that was possible. This particular tribe had a pretty solid firearms stance, as it turns out. That's not the case across the board.

@RoyGBiv

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    tangent question, my understanding of the rules on a national basis for Native American reservations is they make their own rules for concealed carry. There are a bunch of those in OK. How does that all work out? They follow the state rules mostly?
    Simplest functional way to look at it: Tribes don't have jurisdiction over non-natives but can set rules of conduct on tribal lands and remove or trespass violators similar to a private property owner. Tribal LE can stop, search, detain, hand-off to state, city, county, township, etc of jurisdiction when tribes have no jurisdiction of person. Offenses by non-natives can go federal or state/local, but doesn't go tribal.

Tribal ≠ federal. "Sovereign nation" doesn't mean what most think. It's patchworked and nuanced, but that's the gist.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

@Kirk, these guys might be a resource: https://www.okshooters.com/

Cordially,
    Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Hi everyone! Not exactly sure where to post this, but I have a quick question about Oklahoma concealed carry law.

I'm moving to Oklahoma in August from Nevada and don't currently have an active CCW permit at the moment. My CCW license in my prior state expired a little while after I moved to Vegas here (and my prior state was a constitutional carry state anyway), and I'm barely staying in Nevada long enough to even justify getting a CCW since it takes 3-4 months to receive in my county.

Anyway, my question is how soon can I begin carrying in Oklahoma upon arrival? I know they are a constitutional carry state, but Ive read differing things in my online search. Do I need to get my Oklahoma drivers license and establish residency there before I can begin carrying? If so, am I good to go with the temporary license I'll be provided with at the license office?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just wanted to confirm before my move. I figured we may have some Oklahomans on the board who could clarify this for me. Thanks so much and I apologize in advance if this is a waste of board space. Mods, feel free to close once a consensus is reached (which will probably be pretty quick lol)
    What area are you moving to? I'm in the Tulsa metro. I'm not real familiar with Nevada's friendliness or not towards gun owners/shooters. But Oklahoma is about as good as it gets. At one point I had a metrosexual phase and wanted to live in a larger city with better coffee shop's and live jazz music etc. But about 10 years ago when I got back into shooting, I realized how great OK was to live. We have some great ranges and you can throw a rock and hit 2 or 3 pistol matches a weekend.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Site Supporter
    Why not call the Oklahoma Highway Patrol which must deal frequently with such questions?

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    What area are you moving to? I'm in the Tulsa metro. I'm not real familiar with Nevada's friendliness or not towards gun owners/shooters. But Oklahoma is about as good as it gets. At one point I had a metrosexual phase and wanted to live in a larger city with better coffee shop's and live jazz music etc. But about 10 years ago when I got back into shooting, I realized how great OK was to live. We have some great ranges and you can throw a rock and hit 2 or 3 pistol matches a weekend.
    Maybe in Tulsa but the rest of us have very limited options. By limited I mean not more than 1.

USSA stopped all matches.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Why the hell would they do that? The only time I've been there was for USPSA Area 4 matches which used maybe half the available bays. The other bays weren't at capacity then, so I can't imagine that lack of capacity was the reason. And if they're canceling all matches, it doesn't sound like a personality conflict with any particular match director. Canceling matches seems like an easy way to less revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Maybe in Tulsa but the rest of us have very limited options. By limited I mean not more than 1.

Yes, my membership will lapse soon at USSA and I haven’t been since that was announced.

Oil Capital has multiple matches a month. So does Eric Fusion/Guns Of Glory in Bartlesville. Doing a search on Practiscore I see 2A has matches, several upcoming in Pawnee, Oklahoma City and more. It may take some driving, but between Steel Challenge, IDPA, USPSA and other less organized matches held at multiple clubs throughout the month, they are available. Add to that clubs in KS and AR if someone wants to compete they can fairly easily make a match a month without a lot of drive time.

Some of my competition buddies hit a match 3 out of 4 weekends a month for sure.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Why the hell would they do that? The only time I've been there was for USPSA Area 4 matches which used maybe half the available bays. The other bays weren't at capacity then, so I can't imagine that lack of capacity was the reason. And if they're canceling all matches, it doesn't sound like a personality conflict with any particular match director. Canceling matches seems like an easy way to less revenue.
    They have new management that was actually improving things a lot… but apparently they don’t value serious shooters. They’ve changed their business model to focus on walk in shooters. When the 2020 riots broke out and then the COVID lockdowns, etc their traffic basically quadrupled. I’ve been a member for 10 years and blew up seemingly overnight. And it doesn’t seem to be slowing down.

But yeah… I have my own private range now, so it’s been about 3 months since I’ve been there. I highly doubt I’ll ever shoot there again.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    I’ll be moving pretty close to Tulsa, likely Broken Arrow. Really excited to get out there. My Dad loves it there, he’s on a small farm in Wagoner.

Is USSA still the place to go for a decent range? Do they still offer memberships? I don’t see anything about them on their website. I’m blown away that they quit running matches

Edit: just got this message from the asst. manager at USSA. Kind of a joke. $25/per day of shooting + no matches is super lame.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kirk; 03-29-2024 at 09:39 AM.

User Tag List