Thread: DSG SME Like

DSG SME Like

Ok I’m interested and splitting this off from the RCS thread. You spoke about the over rotation, which I have seen, particularly with a Glock and an ACRO, in an Orion.

Jason

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    So this stemmed from a discussion on how the SME works relative to other holsters. Maybe I'll actually make a video and use my YouTube channel for something. The long and short is that with the SME, the main AIWB feature is a wing/trailing lever. The SME's wing is longer and rides the body, but is also such that it can't over rotate. A wing, like the Dark Wing, is offset from the front of the holster and since it is this way, the gap between the back of the wing and the body allows the gun to over-rotate, forcing the optic or rear sight outward.

When we did the Dark Wing, we needed to subsidize the wing with sales to other holster makers and therefore it needed to be universal. The attachment boss on the Orion was large because we had ideas to have a spare mag attached, among other things, and had some idea to use a longer, SME like wing that relied in a wing in the same manner. Now, with capital what it is, and the state of manufacturing what it is, we can revisit this, and many other ideas.

One of the things that I have said and felt very strongly about is that there is not much new in the market we occupy. There are new things, but not new ideas. The new things are old ideas implemented in new ways as technology becomes cheaper and cheaper, or at a minimum more accessible. Access to technology and varying means of production is the innovation we're seeing.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star Gear View Post
    One of the things that I have said and felt very strongly about is that there is not much new in the market we occupy. There are new things, but not new ideas. The new things are old ideas implemented in new ways as technology becomes cheaper and cheaper, or at a minimum more accessible. Access to technology and varying means of production is the innovation we're seeing.
    That's also what has made Glock so successful.

When it comes to holsters, I've found it's a delicate balance with a wing heigh/shape, especially as I loose weight and have to adjust my holsters. Having something that prevents over-rotation, without the cost and wait time of leather, would be a huge benefit to me as a consumer.

Especially if it's a P30/VP9, G48, and J frame setup.......

Posting to follow, very curious. Especially in the revolver realm.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

The concept of an SME style holster made from Kydex has been made.

These include the Kymera Holsters Edict, Comp-Tac EV2, and even the original TRex Arms Raptor.

User Tag List