Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Part-time or Reserve Officers?

One thing that has kept me from resuming LEO-ing is that I hate losing my “Honorably Retired” status. If I swear an oath anywhere else, I am required to surrender my Honorably Retired ID to my former employer. (I do not know how universal this requirement may be.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    One thing that has kept me from resuming LEO-ing is that I hate losing my “Honorably Retired” status. If I swear an oath anywhere else, I am required to surrender my Honorably Retired ID to my former employer. (I do not know how universal this requirement may be.)
    That would be a no go for me as well...
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I started as a part timer back in 2013. At my last department we had a mostly part timers, and most of them were retired from another department.

The thing that would give me the most pause, is if you get injured, at least here, you’ll be getting workman’s comp based on your part time job, which isn’t good if you couldn’t work your full time job.

For me, I have 6 years left until I have 20 years in the state retirement system, and I’m out.

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    You nailed it. Why jump back in when I made it out free and clear? The smart version of me should just get over it and move on with my life. This is basically scratching an itch.
    Got out, stay out.

There's no reason to come back. I appreciate what you've done and I appreciate the idea that you still want to serve but you can find service to your community in other ways.

Or, become a Fire Fighter.... :P KIDDING BRO!!!

There are plenty of us that do this job for the money. There are plenty of us that don't. Regardless of that, I really can't get on board with anyone doing this without some kind of monetary compensation for your time.

Find another rewarding career. If you've got free time to work for free you should be doing whatever the holy hell you want.

Either way, good luck dude. Let us know what your final decision is.

We had paid reserve patrol officers (they could not be detectives or get promotions). They mainly worked events: parades, etc. They did pick up patrol shifts, obviously around their FT job schedules. They were paid, but the pay was shit compared to regular officers. The department phased them via attrition.

My vote is to move on after retirement. Not that I think people should just golf and post pics of their lunch, but find something new and get good at that.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Many of the comments proffered here are specifically referencing retirement, staying retired, etc.

The OP is not retired from LE.

It'd be helpful to draft commentary revolving around the OPs situation that he's asking about, not your own situation as a retired person.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Many of the comments proffered here are specifically referencing retirement, staying retired, etc.

The OP is not retired from LE.

It'd be helpful to draft commentary revolving around the OPs situation that he's asking about, not your own situation as a retired person.
    When you're gone, you stay gone. The OP would not be returning to his job, but would instead take on the same risk/liability without the rewards (salary, pension, etc). Find something new and get good at that, whether it's FT, PT, or unpaid.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    One thing not addressed is the whole “policing is regional” aspect.

The context for PT or reserve is going to vary state to state and even among different parts of the same state.

For example in TX many retired officers go on the books somewhere as a reserve simply so the agency can “hold their commission” so they can continue to do of duty work, which is some cases pays better than FT cop work.

Hell it’s lucrative enough that a few years ago we had a Constable who was fired and lost his state peace officer license get arrested for impersonating an officer because he kept his uniforms and continued working his side jobs illegally.

I did a form of this, but different. I got on the payroll to do some training stuff for a small tribal dept locally but the only way their HR would sign off is if I was classified as a reserve. It was ok, but I would agree with the others that the liability (lawsuit, workman’s comp etc) are all things that we trade away for the pension and salary. Having said that, it’s a risk you have to personally weigh.

The positive thing with not being tied to a salary and pension is that you can walk away the second you feel it’s not worth it to you anymore.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanD View Post
    The positive thing with not being tied to a salary and pension is that you can walk away the second you feel it’s not worth it to you anymore.
    I think you and I are on the same page and I’m not picking on you, but…

The trouble with thinking you can walk away anytime is that on any given shift, you can be involved in events which entangle you and prevent you from walking away cleanly. One morning you can think you’re free as a bird, and that night be in the centre of a sh*tstorm which could lead to financial ruin, public and private ostracism, and prison sentences. You’re in control until you’re not.

User Tag List