Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SF soldier on competition shooting

Site Supporter

SF soldier on competition shooting

Interesting treatment of an old topic.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post

I don’t have a specific podcast where it is discussed at length. But Kyle Lamb said he would want most guys going down range to be master class shooters and medically proficient. He’d take a B class USPSA shooter and medical proficiency over M class and none.

Pat MacNamara used to shoot bullseye at the President’s 100, etc.

I think there’s a long history of pushing shooters to be better and using competition to do that. I mean quite honestly I never served, but I know if you get 2-3 guys together. There’s a competition that’s happening regardless of whether it’s stated or not. We just compare ourselves naturally. I’d say anything that motivates someone to shoot, think about shooting, and improve shooting. That’s a positive.

I’d honestly still be shooting USPSA if it wasn’t on the literal only day I get with my wife and kids a week that’s typically (not always) but typically not overtaken by work or church or some other social activity.

I type this from a hotel while working out of town and I’ll be working a bit in the morning before getting home. I’d rather regret not being better at shooting or Jiu Jitsu than deal with anymore regret than I already do about missing parts of my kid’s lives.

Anyway, indoor IDPA on week nights seemed doable and honestly I shot the 5x5 IDPA qualifier yesterday ironically.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Competitive shooting matches on weekends has been a fixture of so many guys from “the Unit” I have met, read about, or listened to, I have lost count. I recall the same being true with the Navy guys as well.

I’d say if it was good enough for them, it was good enough for a CDAT like me…….

My kid shot with a bunch of SOG folks on the Syrian border when he was flying gunship support for their operations. They did at least bi-weekly pistol/rifle matches at that deployment, usually two different stages. He said it was some of the most brutal shit talking/cat calling he'd ever seen.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Competitive shooting matches on weekends has been a fixture of so many guys from “the Unit” I have met, read about, or listened to, I have lost count.
    I listened to the Autobiography of Greg Coker (160th) who referenced doing three gun with Kyle Lamb, and may have even alluded to his match shooting experience when they were chasing down and killing the guys that shot him down after he just survived a crash.

Name:  Greg Coker.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  61.7 KB

Mike Pannone has a video on this subject and he agrees with the benefit.

I started shooting IDPA and USPSA and noticed my skills for LEO work increased a great deal.

Site Supporter
    The ego can take a hit when professional gun carriers compete and realize that there are school nurses and electricians who make the pros look like they don’t know which end of the gun the bullets come out of. For those with the maturity to see that as an opportunity to improve, it’s good. For the others, there’s always emigration to the UK, where “armed police” and SOF probably are the best shooters around.

DELETED - Sorry, my post was redundant.

The ego can take a hit when professional gun carriers compete and realize that there are school nurses and electricians who make the pros look like they don’t know which end of the gun the bullets come out of. For those with the maturity to see that as an opportunity to improve, it’s good. For the others, there’s always emigration to the UK, where “armed police” and SOF probably are the best shooters around.
    And, as you saw when you watched the video, Gurwitch addresses that very thing right at the start.

https://youtu.be/W80aszslEeU?si=w913i50uDQRFibZp
    This quote is correct IME: "If there's tactical guys that still are against competitive shooting, its one, they've never tried it, and they don't understand it, and the only see pictures of guys out there with their raceguns, or they've tried it, and frankly they sucked at it, they got their feelings hurt, so they poo poo it now, writing it off, saying it adds no value."

User Tag List