Thread: Ruger American Rimfire

Ruger American Rimfire

I’m getting fired up about .22LR again now that I have a club to shoot and kids to teach.

I’ve wanted a decent quality (not best) .22 bolt action target gun to supplement the 10/22s. I used to really enjoy rimfire days on the 100 yard range at my old club in IL. I was looking at the SA 2020 Rimfire, but they seem to have issues.

This Ruger caught my attention:

Name:  IMG_5731.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  12.7 KB

https://www.ruger.com/products/ameri...RT/models.html

They aren’t currently available but will probably be back at some point. I especially like how they use the same magazines as the 10/22. I’m ok with the laminate stock, it would be mostly used on the bench.

Does anyone have experience with the Ruger American Rimfires in general?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Nearly the whole Ruger American Rimfire line-up appears to have "availability issues."
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I have the basic version with a threaded barrel and it works pretty well for what I bought it for, a quiet suppressor host to shoot at yard pests without annoying the neighbors. It groups ok, but isn't a match gun.

I have one each of the shorter barreled versions in 22lr and 22 magnum. They both shoot better than expected. Pretty sure I’ve posted targets from them here somewhere.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m getting fired up about .22LR again now that I have a club to shoot and kids to teach.

I’ve wanted a decent quality (not best) .22 bolt action target gun to supplement the 10/22s. I used to really enjoy rimfire days on the 100 yard range at my old club in IL. I was looking at the SA 2020 Rimfire, but they seem to have issues.

This Ruger caught my attention:

Name:  IMG_5731.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  12.7 KB

https://www.ruger.com/products/ameri...RT/models.html

They aren’t currently available but will probably be back at some point. I especially like how they use the same magazines as the 10/22. I’m ok with the laminate stock, it would be mostly used on the bench.

Does anyone have experience with the Ruger American Rimfires in general?
    I have the Ruger Precision Rimfire and I’ve been very happy with it.

https://www.ruger.com/products/preci...eets/8400.html
    Last edited by HCM; 05-17-2024 at 07:25 PM.

For around the same money you can get a CZ 457 or a Tikka T1. Both are often in the winning circle at ARA Factory benchrest matches, but the Rugers don't make it often.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    For around the same money you can get a CZ 457 or a Tikka T1. Both are often in the winning circle at ARA Factory benchrest matches, but the Rugers don't make it often.
    The only Tikka that interests me (a T1x UPR) is about $1200 street; a CZ 457 Varmint MTR is in the same general price range as that Ruger. I don’t want a chassis gun and need something that has a stock with a pronounced wrist.

I’ll see if I can find a CZ 457 Varmint MTR to check out.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I have a CZ AT-ONE and I think it's as accurate as my Vudoo. MSRP is $779.

I own a Ruger American Rimfire and a cz457. It’s no comparison. The Ruger is decent, but the CZ is far smoother in operation and accurate. Some ammo can’t feed in the Ruger. No such thing in the CZ for me. Personally I’d get a CZ or tikka, then drop it into a KRG bravo. It makes a sweet rimfire setup for well under $1k.

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    I own a Ruger American Rimfire and a cz457. It’s no comparison. The Ruger is decent, but the CZ is far smoother in operation and accurate. Some ammo can’t feed in the Ruger. No such thing in the CZ for me. Personally I’d get a CZ or tikka, then drop it into a KRG bravo. It makes a sweet rimfire setup for well under $1k.
    I hadn’t considered restocking - I forgot KRG supports rimfires beyond the 10/22. I think I need to look at this idea and determine which base rifles make the most sense.
    Ken

User Tag List