Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small Arms Solutions video on lineage of modern piston ARs/Caracal 816

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I got my Caracal 816 running yesterday and I’m honestly extremely impressed. I only shot one mag using the piston’s normal or 1 setting, then I remembered to switch to Suppressed or the 3 setting, fired off a forty round mag. No issues whatsoever on either setting and the no gas to the face thing is amazing.

Adjusting the piston is very easy to do one handed. Unlike other piston guns of this sort, the weapon is light and slim, and yet does not have the heavier HK416-like recoil impulse. I’m extremely impresssed with this upper and the Eotech Vudu 1-10 SR5 I bought for it. Daylight bright, bright nice FFP scope, quick to adjust.

Attachment 117063
    I’ve been looking at the scope you put on the for a different project on an AR platform. I’d appreciate if you could elaborate more on it.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I’ve been looking at the scope you put on the for a different project on an AR platform. I’d appreciate if you could elaborate more on it.
    Clear glass, easy to operate controls, I really like the push button On button for illumination, I think the donut of death is more than fast enough at low magnification and the reticle at higher magnification allows you to do some really nice work with its milradian and logical layout. You have to mess with the diopter a little to get in the eye box at 10x, but I don't find that hard and a tight eye box on a 1-10x LPVO is just part of doing business if you want that functionality. A very highly respected, combat vet, competitive shooter, SME, and industry professional on here told me to get this or the Nighforce 1-8x ATACR for over a thousand more than this Eotech. I’m very happy with the advice I got and the choice I made so far.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Clear glass, easy to operate controls, I really like the push button On button for illumination, I think the donut of death is more than fast enough at low magnification and the reticle at higher magnification allows you to do some really work with its milradian and logical layout. You have to mess with the diopter a little to get in the eye box at 10x, but I don't find that hard and a tight eye box on a 1-10x LPVO is just part of doing business if you want that functionality. A very highly respected, combat vet, competitive shooter, SME, and industry professional on here told me to get this or the Nighforce 1-8x ATACR for over a thousand more than this Eotech. I’m very happy with the advice I got and the choice I made so far.
    Thank you.

@GJM, you like new stuff, I think you’d be happy with this and their powdered tungsten buffer and a can, of course.

I got my Caracal 816 running yesterday and I’m honestly extremely impressed. I only shot one mag using the piston’s normal or 1 setting, then I remembered to switch to Suppressed or the 3 setting, fired off a forty round mag. No issues whatsoever on either setting and the no gas to the face thing is amazing.

Adjusting the piston is very easy to do one handed. Unlike other piston guns of this sort, the weapon is light and slim, and yet does not have the heavier HK416-like recoil impulse. I’m extremely impresssed with this upper and the Eotech Vudu 1-10 SR5 I bought for it. Daylight bright, bright nice FFP scope, quick to adjust.

Attachment 117063
    #RESIST

Very nice @Little Lebowski. What length barrel is that upper? Also, what muzzle device and suppresser do you have on it?

I don't know if it is true but I heard that the SIG 516 barrel could be replaced with a standard AR barrel? Is this true of the Caracal? I am going to get one but I am a little shy because of the non chrome lined barrel, etc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I don't know if it is true but I heard that the SIG 516 barrel could be replaced with a standard AR barrel? Is this true of the Caracal? I am going to get one but I am a little shy because of the non chrome lined barrel, etc.
    The only time I've found hard-chrome lining to come into play was shooting surplus 5.45x39 and literally not maintaining the AR. Just had to handle it like an Ak and add oil every time I grabbed it until the extractor broke around 10k rounds (I bought a pallet of it).

You'll probably be fine if you don't have a giggle switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Very nice @Little Lebowski. What length barrel is that upper? Also, what muzzle device and suppresser do you have on it?
    11.5", direct thread, YHM Turbo K. It just works.
    #RESIST

11.5", direct thread, YHM Turbo K. It just works.
    Have you messed with any other short stroke pistons you can compare it to? My LWRC has the softest recoil impulse of my ARs with the 516 close behind. My 16" and 16" DI guns have noticeably more. The 516 won't run cheap Russian crap on the normal gas setting unsuppressed but runs like a top with the can. The LWRC runs everything fine with or without a can.

Slapped the brand new YHM Cat’s Ass on there and re-zeroed, it was barely left. Love this setup.

Name:  IMG_9069.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  39.9 KB
    #RESIST

User Tag List