Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Lipsey's S&W 432 Ultimate Carry J Frame long term shooting evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    For the ADD-ADHD crowd, I will skip ahead on this one. It was me. I suck.
    Um, no. Not by the standards of mortal men.

You're laying them in there at 50 yards using a J-frame equipped with sights that don't lend themselves to precision at distance.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

^^^^What he said...
    I'm pleased to get hits on a B/C silhouette at 50 yards with irons on a full size gun.

Exceptional shooting, @Lost River, and certainly proof of the gun and load.

500 + rounds through Lipsey's Ultimate Carry 32 H&R J Frame Lost River wadcutter ammo

Friends,

It has been a bit since I had a chance to get out and give the little Ultimate Carry .32 H&R J Frame a good workout, but finally I had the opportunity to do so again. This time I did some quick DA work at 7 yards. I have shot this gun from 3 yards out to 50 yards for both fun, and simply to find out what the gun and my capabilities were with it were. That said, really chances are more likely than not I would be using it in "get off me/stay away" ranges, so 7 yards seemed fitting to give it a good workout.

I started out putting 18 rounds into the first circle. BTW, the circles are 4" wide. I shot as quick as I could get a decent sight picture. As soon as the front sight found the white of the target I ran the DA trigger all the way though. Speaking of the trigger. If you have read the previous posts about shooting this great little pocket blaster, you may (or may not) note that I have 430 rounds through the gun. I have dry fired it a few times, but really not a lot. The trigger has lightened up some already. I have not done anything to it. In fact, I still have not even cleaned the dang gun since I have been shooting 100% poly coated ammo through it, and it is really quite clean all things considered. If I was shooting traditional hardcast lead, there is no way I would go this long between cleanings. Back to the trigger. It is getting better and better, and I have zero intentions of doing anything to it, other than continue to shoot it.

Back to shooting. I shot quite quickly. With the light recoil of the 100 grain wadcutters, it is pretty reasonably easy to shoot fairly well for a J Frame. After the initial group, in which I was really choking up on the gun (I have size XL hands so little guns can be challenging to find just the right grip on) I changed the way I was holding the gun and used only the pad of my first distal joint on my trigger finger to shoot the gun. The result was immediate. The point of impact was high and right for me.

The group was good, as I actually had to slow down a bit to control the gun better, but it was obvious that I did not have as much control of the gun as I did when I put much more finger on the trigger. After shooting 18 rounds in that manner, I went back to using the center of my second distal joint and using a very high grip, as I have traditionally done with my .38 Special J Frame 442. It may look like my hands are "swallowing the gun to some, but it works.

I fire a couple more iterations of 18 rounds per circle for a total of 72 rounds on the target.

This put my round count at 502 rounds through the Lipsey's Ultimate Carry .32 H&R J Frame. All of the rounds used were the Lost River Ammo Company 100 grain poly coated wadcutter. I have been carrying this little gun every day now for a bit as my "always" gun, no matter what gun I may be carrying as a primary. Even when I am just working loading ammo, the little J Frame is snug in the front pocket, doing what it is supposed to do.

The OCD in me wants to move your groups one click left.

How much trouble was it to adjust the sights from the tendency to shoot left you had when you first shot the gun? What tools did you use?

It looks like there is some slight vertical with your groups. I wonder how much more accurate your revolver would be with a flat top front sight.

The rear sight in the dovetail on my particular sample is TIGHT. Really it is a dang fine example of production done right. The problem for me is that I don't really have the proper tools to do fine adjustments, so I am doing it the old redneck way, with a brass punch and a BFH (big freaking hammer). Ok, so maybe the hammer is really not that big and it is a gunsmith's hammer but I started with a pretty small hammer and light taps initially and got nowhere, and moved progressively up, until I finally ended up moving the sight too far with one of the strikes.

The lesson was very definitely "use proper tools" which I do not posses, but oddly enough, just a month or so ago I had been offered a universal sight tool, and I declined as I didn't think I would need it as much as others might and did not want to be greedy. I felt some other person might put it to more use. Stupid me.

I also have a habit of loaning out tools and losing track of them over time. In fact there is a set of .45 caliber chamber reaming/uniforming tools floating around Pistol Forum land that I remembered the other day. It has been at least 5 years since I loaned those out, LOL.

The other thing is that I have 50+ year old eyes and ever since I had Lasik surgery done, front sights are fuzzy, so I am never going to do this gun the justice it deserves in terms of showing its true mechanical accuracy. I have proven that time and again shooting an RDO equipped gun next to an iron sighted one with the same load, such as with .45 Colts or .44 Specials. The group size difference is notable.

I may eventually put some Crimson Trace grips on this gun, but the thing is that I REALLY like the grips as issued. They are extremely well thought out and designed. There is no question that a lot of time and thought went into them. It is fortuitous for me as they are extremely close in size and shape to the grips I built up for my 442 J Frame that I have carried for so long. It makes me reluctant to want to swap them out at the moment, even though I do recognize that the CT grips have long been advantageous (for me) in some lighting conditions when it comes to shooting precisely.

Frankly though while I always think it is high priority to shoot precisely, with the little guns of this nature, precise shooting becomes even more important. It is one of the reasons I practiced so much with my old 442.

Here you can see how the grips are pretty similar.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I may eventually put some Crimson Trace grips on this gun, but the thing is that I REALLY like the grips as issued. They are extremely well thought out and designed. There is no question that a lot of time and thought went into them. It is fortuitous for me as they are extremely close in size and shape to the grips I built up for my 442 J Frame that I have carried for so long. It makes me reluctant to want to swap them out at the moment, even though I do recognize that the CT grips have long been advantageous (for me) in some lighting conditions when it comes to shooting precisely.

Frankly though while I always think it is high priority to shoot precisely, with the little guns of this nature, precise shooting becomes even more important. It is one of the reasons I practiced so much with my old 442.

Here you can see how the grips are pretty similar.

I'm seeing that our preferred performance profile of grips are pretty similar. Thank you for your involvement with the project, and the updates from your end.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, the 432's grip is awesome and I love it. I was thinking about getting rid of my 638 and putting the laser grips on the 432...but I think I'll leave the .32's grips as is because they're possibly the best J frame grip I've ever tried.

User Tag List