Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New conceal carry Firearm

I will echo what others are saying about staying with more mainstream brands. No idea about Tisas with regards to reliability but the other guns are ubiquitous and so shall be their support gear (holsters, sights, spare mags, etc.) I am not sure what you are looking to spend but a quick search showed $300-$400 range on your model. For that price you could get a CZ P-10, M&P Shield/Shield Plus/1.0/2.0, or police trade in Glock 26/19/17 all of which will serve you well with proven track records and more accessible gear. I would even look at the Smith and Wesson SD series if budget was under $300. There have been positive reports here with some users that have tested them out. Their new and improved SD 2.0 series has my eye.

First, my personal rule about cheap guns- cheap guns are cheap for a reason, and inevitably cost you more than just buying a name brand service pistol. Everyone inevitably ends up buying the good stuff. Why get stuck with a cheap gun that you don't like to shoot, but can't really sell?

A lot of knowledge & a bit of shopping might be a way to snag a good used Glock, M&P 2.0*, CZ, or other well-regarded service 9mm at your local gunshops.

However, if you don't want to go used, then check your local big box stores like Bass Pro or Rural King. S&W often offers cool incentives like rebates, free mags, ect- watch the online retails like Brownells for details.

Finally, the Easy Button option is a G5 Glock MOS & Holosun SCS. While spendy initially, you probably won't be stuck with a loss for buying the cheap gun you don't like shooting.

*Skip the M&P 1.0
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Logistics is hugely important. Parts, service, mags, holsters. Current and future availability.

Never buy unproven weapons for self defense. Buy something that has been proven in hard use and issued enough to know how it holds up.

A proven pistol has resale if you do not like it.

YMMV.

Thank you everyone for your replies I'll do some more research

A service sized (17,19,34,45,47) Generation 5 GLOCK 9mm is what you want. Mags, holsters, sights, parts support are all there and It is a proven platform.

You're in the wrong place if you want to hear a chorus of anything but "get a Glock."

Having said that, I'm down to PRECISELY one Glock in my stable, and it's a commemorative. For carry, the P365XL has taken the place of the G19, topped with an EPS Carry direct mounted to the slide. Not the pistol I'd want to shoot a match with, or take to a 3K round weekend course, but for CONCEALED carry, it's VERY hard to beat.

The upside to the P365 is you can "up" or "down" size it pretty easily. I have a pair of FCUs, an original 365 (compact) slide, two XL slides, and grip modules from standard (smallest) to XL, to Macro. I can "lego" those into a bunch of different combinations - smallest for pocket carry in shorts, Macro for most of the range time.

The Glock is a great platform, if you mesh with its grip angle and learn how to work the trigger without disturbing the sights, which, IMHO, is harder to do with the Glock than almost any competing platform. Its also a plus if you've got pretty good grip strength in your support hand - Glock's dislike being held loosely. BUT, if you can get past those hurdles, there's nothing else on the market with equivalent size efficiency, simplicity, and reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    You're in the wrong place if you want to hear a chorus of anything but "get a Glock."

Having said that, I'm down to PRECISELY one Glock in my stable, and it's a commemorative. For carry, the P365XL has taken the place of the G19, topped with an EPS Carry direct mounted to the slide. Not the pistol I'd want to shoot a match with, or take to a 3K round weekend course, but for CONCEALED carry, it's VERY hard to beat.

The upside to the P365 is you can "up" or "down" size it pretty easily. I have a pair of FCUs, an original 365 (compact) slide, two XL slides, and grip modules from standard (smallest) to XL, to Macro. I can "lego" those into a bunch of different combinations - smallest for pocket carry in shorts, Macro for most of the range time.

The Glock is a great platform, if you mesh with its grip angle and learn how to work the trigger without disturbing the sights, which, IMHO, is harder to do with the Glock than almost any competing platform. Its also a plus if you've got pretty good grip strength in your support hand - Glock's dislike being held loosely. BUT, if you can get past those hurdles, there's nothing else on the market with equivalent size efficiency, simplicity, and reliability.
    Try your p365 in a match sometime I think you will be pleasantly surprised

Site Supporter
    I own a bunch of Glocks and a Gen1 APX Centurion/Compact. I prefer the Glocks, but I also really like the APX. I'm still under 1K rounds on mine, but so far so good. I haven't experienced anything that would make me hesitate to recommend the APX. I think they'd be a good value even at $100 to $200 more than what they cost

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWJ View Post
    Hi There everyone

I am looking at getting a new carry firearm I am looking at the Tisas PX-9 GEN 3 Carry OR. Does anyone own one and can tell me what they tink of the firearm

Thanks
    John
    One of my rules is that if JMCK doesn't make a holster for it, I won't consider buying it as a carry gun.
    Another is, don't buy Turkish guns.

If you buy a Glock or 365, you can buy holsters, mags, and parts at any gun store.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

This mostly mirrors my thoughts only, I'd love to run 3000 rds through an XMacro tac ops in a weekend!

User Tag List