Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scored a MINT Ruger Speed Six!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I want to say that the replacement tritium sights for the SP-101 will fit the Speed- and Service-Six, as well as the original fixed sight GP-100's. they sure do look the same, but heights might be different.
    You are correct about SP-101 to Speed-six; I’ve done that with an xs small dot.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Thank you, sir! Good to know for sure.

I've just installed a green standard dot on my SP-101. That thing pops!
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I looked at the XS sight earlier this evening, and that sure would be nicer than nail polish.

I back up Whitlock and Totem, that SP sight works on the SS. Put one on 3 years ago.

Frank congrats on that purchase. I have the stainless version and I believe it is a far more durable gun than the snubby 19 (which I also own) and has much cleaner lines in my view.

I find the fixed rear sight superior in my use, always concealed, and as cited here you have front sight options that don't exist for the snubby 19.

The trigger can be improved by simple means like spring kits and simple lubrication, several reputable gunsmiths still work on them (Nelson Ford and Gemini).

It can certainly take doses of .357 ammo if you are so inclined. I feed mine from my remaining stash of .357 135gr Gold Dots or the 125gr Golden Sabers, both very mild .357 loads.

K frame speed loaders work.

Some will cite the lack of factory support at this point, but parts are abundant at this time and quite frankly it is such a tough gun you will be very unlucky if it ever needs to be fixed.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I like this gun. Nice pickup!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I like this gun. Nice pickup!
    Indeed. I might be watching the Firearms list in the For Sale section for awhile.

Safariland makes Comp-IIs for the Speed/Security Six line.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Nice score, OP.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Thank you everyone for your positive and informative comments. The trigger felt lighter than most revolvers, but the DA pull averaged 10lbs 1oz on my Lyman gauge, and SA was a remarkably consistent 3lbs 14oz. The cylinder gap is a tight .003”, and the cylinder spins freely. Timing is perfect.

The LGS has two Team Ruger shooters (Dave Olhasso and James McGinty), and Dave was there last night working on some firearms. I’m pretty pleased with the trigger’s pull weight and feel, much more than my long gone SP101. The latter wasn’t bad, Ijust think it didn’t fit my hand well.

I did pop out the trigger assembly last night, hoping to clean it. It was spotless! Beside the faint turn line (which cannot be felt), there aren’t any signs that this revolver was used much at all.

Brighten the front sight, chamfer and polish the chambers (if necessary), judicious spring selections and you're good to go. These are very tough, drama-free revolvers.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List