View Poll Results: What's in your AARP Mag?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. They All Fall to Hardball; Two World Wars; 230 gr FMJ

9 11.84%
  • 2. Some kind of handload, possibly SWC or other

1 1.32%
  • 3. 230 Gr WWB JHP

1 1.32%
  • 4. 230 Gr Hydrashok, because I'm SuPPosta!

2 2.63%
  • 5. 230 Gr Winchester xname JHP (Ranger T, Bonded, PDX1, SXT, Black Talons of Scary Razor sharp death etc. etc.)

9 11.84%
  • 6. 230 Gr Gold Dot

17 22.37%
  • 7. 230 Gr HST

40 52.63%
  • 8. 220+p Critical Duty

2 2.63%
  • 9. XTP's of any grain

1 1.32%
  • 10. 185 gr JHP of any type (Critical Defense, Golden Saber, 2 different types of Sierra JHP all look to perform well even from shorter barrels)

8 10.53%
  • 11. Any other grain JHP 165, 200 etc.

1 1.32%
  • 12. Some kind of screwdriver, fragmenting, or other "Gimmicky" type of bullet design

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your .45 AARP Carry Ammo?

What's your .45 AARP Carry Ammo?

What's in your Mag? TM royalties owed to be settled in court

And to me, I kind of differentiate .45s in Shorter than Commander Length 4.25", and Commander or Longer length barrels.
    If anyone can share Real World Performance on any of these, how they worked OIS/DGU, how often or not they fully expanded, just kind of partially mangled expanded, or failed to expand especially if heavy clothing. I wonder how say Hydrashoks really did, and am curious what LAPD and SIS used back in the day if anyone knows and how they did? That kind of info is appreciated. Were most poking out in back skin/T-shirt/found on scene not far from bodies or falls on the floor in the bus ride?

Anyone seen enough or had access to enough info to speak to 185 gr vs 200 gr vs 230 gr JHP differences on Bipeds?
    Can you speak to more straight path performance than lesser than God Calibers with lighter bullets that are perhaps more likely to deflect off bone? Any 45's with their big Ogives bouncing off & sliding around skull stories whether on 2 legged or 4 legged?

Multiple Choices allowed, because too me while HSTs work in all barrel lengths, something like WWB performs decent out of 4.25" or longer, while 185 JHPs seem to shine in the shorter barrel lengths or perhaps some find in lighter pistols a bit less perceived recoil depending on the load or appreciate the lighter loaded mag on the hip. Others may have a JHP for the shortie in town, but carry Hardball or SWC in the full size for the woods.

Post the why's & barrel lengths if you are willing to please

1. They All Fall to Hardball; Two World Wars; 230 gr FMJ
    2. Some kind of handload, possibly SWC or other
    3. 230 Gr WWB JHP
    4. 230 Gr Hydrashok (tempted to put 230 gr Golden Saber/Ultimate Defense in here as well?)
    5. 230 Gr Winchester xname JHP (Ranger T, Bonded, PDX1, SXT, Black Talons of Scary Razor sharp death etc. etc.)
    6. 230 Gr Gold Dot
    7. 230 Gr HST
    8. 220+p Critical Duty
    9. XTP's of any grain
    10. 185 gr JHP of any type (Critical Defense, Golden Saber, 2 different types of Sierra JHP all look to perform well even from shorter barrels)
    11. Any other grain JHP 165, 200 etc.
    12. Some kind of screwdriver, fragmenting, or other "Gimmicky" type of bullet design
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 03-06-2024 at 07:46 PM.

Hydrashok because I’ve had it for years and rarely carry my remaining 45, a Kimber Desert Warrior. I’d probably buy Gold Dot or HST if I started carrying it again, or if I buy an M&P45.

Site Supporter
    230-grain HST, both standard pressure and +P. I currently have the +P version loaded in the M&P magazines and the moonclips for my 22-4. Barrel lengths for the M&Ps are 4" and 4.5"; the 22-4 has a 4" tube.

If I ever carry my Commander or Gubmint Model again, they'll get the standard velocity version.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

HST 230gr

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    230-grain HST, both standard pressure and +P. I currently have the +P version loaded in the M&P magazines and the moonclips for my 22-4. Barrel lengths for the M&Ps are 4" and 4.5"; the 22-4 has a 4" tube.

If I ever carry my Commander or Gubmint Model again, they'll get the standard velocity version.
    How's the 4" M&P handle? Is that 10+1 or 8+1? What's fully loaded weight do you happen to know? Like..kinda heavy on hip or whoa this is sucking after a few hours?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    How's the 4" M&P handle? Is that 10+1 or 8+1? What's fully loaded weight do you happen to know? Like..kinda heavy on hip or whoa this is sucking after a few hours?
    The M&P45 Compact has the full-length grip so it's 10+1. The reason I'll carry it but not the Commander is the weight; I don't know what the weight is, but it's considerably less than the Colt, even with three more rounds (my Commander is reliable with seven-round magazines but not with the eight-rounders). My SWAG is that it weighs about the same as my G19, maybe a hair more due to bullet weight.

My carry autos seem to have full-length grips and four-inch barrels/slides...G19 w/Grip Anchor or G45, full-size PX4, full-size M&P40 (okay, 4-1/4"), M&P 45 Compact.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I have both Ranger T and HST in 230 gn. Even a few pristine boxes of vintage Black Talons. Along with some boutique stuff people have given to me along the way. The oddest of the oddballs being 150 gn. DRT. In all honesty I don't give much thought to what type of projectile gets launched. What I care about is where is goes.

I can tell you this about the .45 ACP M&P 2.0. It holds 10 in the magazine. My buddy who has them was shocked that my lightweight commander felt lighter in the hand than his M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The M&P45 Compact has the full-length grip so it's 10+1. The reason I'll carry it but not the Commander is the weight; I don't know what the weight is, but it's considerably less than the Colt, even with three more rounds (my Commander is reliable with seven-round magazines but not with the eight-rounders). My SWAG is that it weighs about the same as my G19, maybe a hair more due to bullet weight.

My carry autos seem to have full-length grips and four-inch barrels/slides...G19 w/Grip Anchor or G45, full-size PX4, full-size M&P40 (okay, 4-1/4"), M&P 45 Compact.
    Thanks, one of the M&P's would be my choice, but grab a kitchen scale and check all your loaded weights. If you do, plz let me know. I'm thinking 38 ounces 10+1, if it's 28.2 for 2.0 Compact, 11 230 grain pills I believe is 10 ounces. That puts it into the...I kinda don't want to that often category for me by just a bit.

LW Commander 8+1 is around 34-35 ounces

I can't be the only one that wants a lightweight 45 option, w at least a 3.75" barrel, that's not a glock or 1911. Actually, diddled a G5 G30 and it does feel better than finger grooves to me. But wish there was something new, not only plastic 9s.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I can tell you this about the .45 ACP M&P 2.0. It holds 10 in the magazine. My buddy who has them was shocked that my lightweight commander felt lighter in the hand than his M&P.
    My Commander is the steel-framed version.

20 year old Winchester Ranger. Why so old? Because that's the last time I carried a 1911. I don't plan to ever buy defensive .45 again.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List