View Poll Results: What's in your Cylinder? (Multiple Choice allowed 3+1 Categories given)

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • None of my Magnums actually get Magnums anymore

7 14.89%
  • Mid recoil 125 gr Golden Saber

11 23.40%
  • Mid Recoil 125 gr Critical Defense

0 0%
  • Full Power 125 gr SJHP

6 12.77%
  • 135 gr Critical Duty

6 12.77%
  • 145 gr Silvertip

9 19.15%
  • 158 gr SJHP

10 21.28%
  • 158 gr Hydrashok

1 2.13%
  • New Kid on the Block 154 gr HST

2 4.26%
  • Something Heavier or Hardcast for Woods/Animal Defense!

8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your .357 Magnum Carry Ammo?

I have a small stash of the 135gr .357 Gold Dot, that sometimes gets carried, but most of the time I'm carrying 158gr XTP handloads that are mid + range .357 velocity (13.5gr of 2400). The .357's get far more woods/desert use than in town, hence the XTP being #1 for me.

I have not seen the .357 Gold Dot load available for several years now. Which is unfortunate, as I think its a good "carry" .357 load that isn't nuke level hot, and thus more useful for that application.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    For say, Deer purposes from a 4" do you get mild expansion with 158 XTP's? But much Better in a Carbine?
    In general full power 357 loads gain around 500 fps in carbines over a 4" pistol. Thats substantial as regards expansion and bullet integrity with those intended to expand.

...Do any on here actually live anywhere go out deep woods hunting/hiking anywhere that a 158 gr whatever wouldn't likely be good enough for animal defense? Or where a 170/180 .357 or typical .40/10mm FMJ-FP wouldn't actually be good enough (or Flat Point/Hard Cast 9/45 for that matter)?

Just an interesting side point, and genuinely curious if more than that is ever really needed (wouldn't .41 Mag actually be ideal, not 44/454/460/480/500 etc), and if so where?

Just saying .357 has a lot of diversity, from .38 WC to Mid 125/135 magnums in lighter guns, 125-145 full power for full size fighting revolvers, 158 covers just about anything, and can go heavier 170/180 for woods/animal defense if needed.
    I do. Grizzlies live within 3-4 miles as a regular thing, as seen on game cams of someone I know. They occasionally come down where I live, though its not all that common, the main point being how long would it take a bear to amble 3 or 4 miles? I step outside in the dark regularly and do dusk skunk patrols. The 357 with 158 gr loads is probably up to the job, though if I go intentionally where the bears hang out i take a 44 mag or 45 Colt with heavier loads, and in the past some sort of rifle in 348, 45-70 with heavy loads, or sometimes a bolt gun. I keep both 158 sjhp and some of the old Winchester Lubaloy 158 SWC loads, I wish I had more of them. I need to get my moulds out and cast and load some general purpose full power cast loads

Thanks for thr info.

Ok excuse my ignorance on these matters
    But from a .357 Carbine for hog Eradication or for Hunting Deer would a 158 JSP or XTP suffice?What would be ideal?

(Regarding .44 special I think it's a great handloader round, & w Punch even from the short barrels looks pretty ideal for Defense and quite too-however I don' treload)
    I think 357 in a carbine on ferral hogs is a bit light but with solids IE cast SWC loads is probably ok. id prefer something larger/heavier, but my tolerance for much more is waning over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I do not have a .357 rifle yet, so I don't have experience there. However, I do have experience with a .44 mag rifle and have been doing a lot of research ISO a better hunting bullet for a .44 mag rifle (pistol-forum.com) I think what I am learning about the .44 will translate very well to the .357.

There will be others along that do have great knowledge.
    There is some difference between 357 and 44 in carbines, part of the 357s effectiveness is expanding bullets, which also tend to reduce penetration. The balance pint for intended use is the point we like to find. I think the 44 probably is more flexible with medium loads as far as what you can do with it, but if larger animals isnt the objective the 357 is pretty good.

Thanks, and I read over your thread. I am not a hunter, but would like a general idea of what is passable, what is ideal, and what would work in a pinch. Plus it helps me justify a future purchase which is why we are all on these forums anyways right? I'm not sure what kind of arc and drop .357 has from a levergun but I'd imaging that 100 yard shots are doable if you know your load approximately. Honestly don't know if JSP's are useful like on deer at 357 mag velocities, or if it dumps too much lead like you were worried about. I'm guessing they would do in a pinch, but maybe 158 xtps better but that's just a guess. I'd bet 125 xtps would likely hold well enough together on a deer or man as well.
    I think full power 125 gr loads in 357 carbines is hard on bullet integrity in general, some loads look like they are running at around 2000 fps in carbines. The 158 sjhp arent giving up anything to them in effectiveness with the benefit of more penetration in either pistol or carbine. Im generally convinced they (125s) really dont have much if any advantage in 4" pistols at the cost of penetration. All indications are that even in 2 1/2" barrels the 158 sjhp still expand reliably, so thats what I carry for general use in the short gun or a 4" one and still useful in the carbine. So far recoil hasnt been problematic for me, so im only considering full power loads. Lighter loads work fine for small stuff and fun shooting. 38 Short Colts are nice for yard varmints like skunks without much noise. If i bump into a bear when out looking for skunks in the yard I may regret my choices, but the larger stuff is getting heavy and not as much fun to shoot.

I havent shot the carbine at distance yet, though 357 loads in a 4" pistol are pretty easy to hit the 300 yard plate with. 150 yards with a carbine is not out of the question for hunting activities if one can hit things well enough with it. We tend to do some goofy things with pistols out where theres not much else to do, though being able to hit a plate at some stupid distance isnt exactly the same as a clean shot on game.
    Last edited by Malamute; 03-01-2024 at 08:13 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    In general full power 357 loads gain around 500 fps in carbines over a 4" pistol. Thats substantial as regards expansion and bullet integrity with those intended to expand.

I do. Grizzlies live within 3-4 miles as a regular thing, as seen on game cams of someone I know. They occasionally come down where I live, though its not all that common, the main point being how long would it take a bear to amble 3 or 4 miles? I step outside in the dark regularly and do dusk skunk patrols. The 357 with 158 gr loads is probably up to the job, though if I go intentionally where the bears hang out i take a 44 mag or 45 Colt with heavier loads, and in the past some sort of rifle in 348, 45-70 with heavy loads, or sometimes a bolt gun. I keep both 158 sjhp and some of the old Winchester Lubaloy 158 SWC loads, I wish I had more of them. I need to get my moulds out and cast and load some general purpose full power cast loads

I think 357 in a carbine on ferral hogs is a bit light but with solids IE cast SWC loads is probably ok. id prefer something larger/heavier, but my tolerance for much more is waning over time.

There is some difference between 357 and 44 in carbines, part of the 357s effectiveness is expanding bullets, which also tend to reduce penetration. The balance pint for intended use is the point we like to find. I think the 44 probably is more flexible with medium loads as far as what you can do with it, but if larger animals isnt the objective the 357 is pretty good.

I think full power 125 gr loads in 357 carbines is hard on bullet integrity in general, some loads look like they are running at around 2000 fps in carbines. The 158 sjhp arent giving up anything to them in effectiveness with the benefit of more penetration in either pistol or carbine. Im generally convinced they (125s) really dont have much if any advantage in 4" pistols at the cost of penetration. All indications are that even in 2 1/2" barrels the 158 sjhp still expand reliably, so thats what I carry for general use in the short gun or a 4" one and still useful in the carbine. So far recoil hasnt been problematic for me, so im only considering full power loads. Lighter loads work fine for small stuff and fun shooting. 38 Short Colts are nice for yard varmints like skunks without much noise. If i bump into a bear when out looking for skunks in the yard I may regret my choices, but the larger stuff is getting heavy and not as much fun to shoot.

I havent shot the carbine at distance yet, though 357 loads in a 4" pistol are pretty easy to hit the 300 yard plate with. 150 yards with a carbine is not out of the question for hunting activities if one can hit things well enough with it. We tend to do some goofy things with pistols out where theres not much else to do, though being able to hit a plate at some stupid distance isnt exactly the same as a clean shot on game.
    Thanks for all that. For Human Defense, it's just split times/controllability I'm more comfortable with the 125-145 gr loads. And there is real overpenetration concerns in city environment for cheaper 158 gr sjhp. Doesn't mean 158's or harder bullets aren't in the reload though. I figure a 125 gr XTP or Gold Dot in a Carbine may turn into a meteorite in a 16" but still be plenty good for HD-100 yards+. That's a future buy I think. Specifically for animals 158 xtps maybe best. I've seen enough 158 gr sjhp tests from 3-6" that the cheap stuff will give mild expansion deep penetration which should work just fine 2 legged to 4 legged from 3"-24" barrels probably which that fact alone makes .357 a really great useful cartridge . The old Federal 158 gr sjhp Defense load though is very serious expansion good penetration for 2 legged not really that deep for 4 legged like most the other cheaper rounds out there.

Based on results looking like a whole lot combine into that 125-145 gr range, perhaps those that still somewhat regularly carry a fighting revolver in cities/towns for 2 legged protection. And the 158 or heavier crowd, that based on results, I am guessing either live out in the boondocks, or strap a pistol on for in- town or are still working LE, and the .357s only come out when out in the woods or on weekends etc?

Thanks for all that. For Human Defense, it's just split times/controllability I'm more comfortable with the 125-145 gr loads. And there is real overpenetration concerns in city environment for cheaper 158 gr sjhp. Doesn't mean 158's or harder bullets aren't in the reload though. I figure a 125 gr XTP or Gold Dot in a Carbine may turn into a meteorite in a 16" but still be plenty good for HD-100 yards+. That's a future buy I think. Specifically for animals 158 xtps maybe best. I've seen enough 158 gr sjhp tests from 3-6" that the cheap stuff will give mild expansion deep penetration which should work just fine 2 legged to 4 legged from 3"-24" barrels probably which that fact alone makes .357 a really great useful cartridge . The old Federal 158 gr sjhp Defense load though is very serious expansion good penetration for 2 legged not really that deep for 4 legged like most the other cheaper rounds out there.

Based on results looking like a whole lot combine into that 125-145 gr range, perhaps those that still somewhat regularly carry a fighting revolver in cities/towns for 2 legged protection. And the 158 or heavier crowd, that based on results, I am guessing either live out in the boondocks, or strap a pistol on for in- town or are still working LE, and the .357s only come out when out in the woods or on weekends etc?
    Yes, we all have our personal priorities for various reasons and should choose loads accordingly. Less than full magnum is probably more practical in urban areas and lighter guns. Im in both extremely rural and some civilized areas, I just keep the same loads for simplification and zero.

Im thinking less about splits and more on effectiveness and assessment pace shooting. The guys with experience using 357s tend to indicate the 158s work very well, I have some Remington 158 sjhp loads. That load seems to be a reliable one from all I can gather in both pistol and carbine. Ive mostly been a fan of larger caliber stuff most of my life, my trending towards lighter guns and loads has been creeping in over several years after an injury. Something Steve (LSP 972) mentioned sticks in my mind,

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post277407
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Further thought point...

Do any on here actually live anywhere go out deep woods hunting/hiking anywhere that a 158 gr whatever wouldn't likely be good enough for animal defense? Or where a 170/180 .357 or typical .40/10mm FMJ-FP wouldn't actually be good enough (or Flat Point/Hard Cast 9/45 for that matter)?
    I'm familiar with one local multi-jurisdictional police shooting involving the failure of 12 rounds of 357 Magnum to stop a rather perturbed moose. Six of those shots hit the skull. The scene was ultimately brought under control by one shot from a slug loaded 12 gauge. Knowing the agencies involved, the load was most likely a 158 grain SJHP. Local agencies had been switching to the heavier bullets from the 125 grain SJHP which worked fine on people but they mostly shot big animals and it wasn't so good for that over a fair bit of experience.

My typical edc load is my 147gr hst at 1275fps. In the woods it's 170gr swc at 1200fps.

We have moose, bears, and bobcats/yotes. I'm more worried about the smaller predators going after my little kids or a moose then the bears around here.

If I didn't reload I'd buy loaded 158gr xtps. They typical go 1200-1250. That's also my backup jhp load I've got loaded up. They do very well from my 20" carbine too.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I also often carry heavy .45acp/colt (255-270 @ 950-1000fps) because I like them and they really do hammer deer hard. If I was around bigger bears I'd stick with them.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

135gr gold dots

I'm a big fan of 135 grain gold dots regardless of barrel length but Speer doesn't seem to even be making it right now. It's joined #1 Federal Elite Control as a great but irrelevant load these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    I'm a big fan of 135 grain gold dots regardless of barrel length but Speer doesn't seem to even be making it right now. It's joined #1 Federal Elite Control as a great but irrelevant load these days.
    I bet it's just an issue of production capacity. I keep some on hand for my wheelguns as well, but there's probably just not a lot of demand to justify turning off production of other high demand SKUs to make room for it in this current environment.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List