Thread: Hard 9MM primers?

Hard 9MM primers?

Need some hard to ignite 9mm ammunition.

Testing a couple of pistols for ignition reliability. Finally shot up all my old Russian steel case 9mm that had really hard primers and need a replacement brand. Head weasel Putin no longer allowed to export, which is fine with me.

European brands have a general reputation for hard primers but how about a specific flavor? Fiocchi 115, S&B 124? Thanks for the help.
    My apologies to weasels.

Site Supporter
    Too bad this wasn't a week or so ago; American Reloading had some Fiocci primers being sold as "seconds" because the primer cups were too thick and beyond their spec, I'm sure you could have loaded up some ammo with those and had a great stock for testing. I was too slow to see it and they were gone pretty quick, bur for under $50/k shipped it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Need some hard to ignite 9mm ammunition.

Testing a couple of pistols for ignition reliability. Finally shot up all my old Russian steel case 9mm that had really hard primers and need a replacement brand. Head weasel Putin no longer allowed to export, which is fine with me.

European brands have a general reputation for hard primers but how about a specific flavor? Fiocchi 115, S&B 124? Thanks for the help.
    I'm interested as well. I use my own handloads for tests like this, with CCI-41 military small rifle primers.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'm interested as well. I use my own handloads for tests like this, with CCI-41 military small rifle primers.
    I’ll second that recommendation. My Beretta match gun has a 12# hammer spring, but has lit every pistol primer I’ve tried in it (Federal, Win, CCI, GINEX, etc) - but a rifle primer took 4-5 strikes to light off. I’d say that’s a good test of ability to ignite any pistol primer.

Site Supporter
    IME, Winchester's NATO-spec hardball has harder-than-standard pistol primers. I had to bump up the mainsprings in my PX4s to get them to run with that stuff; they needed 11-12 lb. ones or the factory D spring. My P99Cs worked fine with the factory springs. I ran through most of a case of Federal 205s (small rifle primers) with the PX4s with those springs and P99Cs (and G45 and G19G5) with no problems.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List