Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speer 147 G2

Speer 147 G2

I hate to bring up another thread about this as I know there’s already been extensive discussion about this load. My agency recently issued Speer G2 but we switched it out in favor of 135 + P critical duty. I was told the switch is because when we adopted 9mm, we wanted the critical duty as that’s what we previously issued in .40 cal. Critical duty at the time was difficult to find so we adopted the G2 instead because it was “the next best choice”. We still authorize G2 to be used in spare magazines if we choose to keep some extra in our patrol bags but critical duty has to be on our belt. I was told that we switched also because of performance concerns with expansion. They didn’t expound on the exact issues. I’ve also read on the interwebz of unsatisfactory results with the G2 and watched a few videos on YouTube which showed underwhelming performance.

I briefly spoke to someone at the FBI BRF who advised G2 is one of his favorite loads and the FBI dropped it because the contract ran out, not due to any performance concerns. With the FBI contract, SOCOM, LAPD, and countless others adopting the load, it’s odd that I hear from many that it’s a quality loading and from others that it’s a basically an FMJ half the time. When a load is good to go, generally you won’t hear much negative about it. I know there was some problems when the G2 was initially released so could that be where the issue is in causing people losing confidence in this round? It’s really confusing getting all these mixed reviews. Is the G2 as good of a performer as other Speer offerings?

I know of a shooting with G2 where the suspect was shot many times (i.e. Swiss cheese) and 80% of the rounds did not expand at all. The rounds were fired from MP5’s.

The FBI still uses G2, but does not allow it in the G43/43X’s because of expansion issues. Those guns have to have Critical Duty in them.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I know of a shooting with G2 where the suspect was shot many times (i.e. Swiss cheese) and 80% of the rounds did not expand at all. The rounds were fired from MP5’s.

The FBI still uses G2, but does not allow it in the G43/43X’s because of expansion issues. Those guns have to have Critical Duty in them.

Was that before they fixed the problems with it or a more recent OIS?

Quote Originally Posted by AdequatleySupervised View Post
    Was that before they fixed the problems with it or a more recent OIS?
    More recent.

EDIT: I just checked, that shooting happened in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    More recent.

EDIT: I just checked, that shooting happened in 2018.
    If that’s the case, it makes me wonder why they are still getting large contracts…

My agency went from .40 Glocks to 17.4 & 19.4 in 2017ish, with the 147gr G2 as the issued duty load. We've only had a handful of shootings since, but its been effective every time. I remember reading about teething issues at the beginning, but I believe it was worked out prior to us adopting it. I know our range staff did extensive testing, and part of the reason for the choice was its performance through barriers.

Word on the street is we are gearing up to consider red dots, with G45 and Acro being talked about. I would not be surprised if we switch to a different duty load. But who knows... its 2024 and we are just now ditching the NY triggers we been rocking for 20+ years. Maybe next we can start doing 17+1 instead of 16+1 (don't want to hurt the spring ) I will say its been effective on over 3 dozen injured deer.

. With the FBI contract, SOCOM, LAPD, and countless others adopting the load...
    I've been wondering if that accounts for its relative scarcity in the commercial market. At least in my recent experience G2 has been difficult to find.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I've been wondering if that accounts for its relative scarcity in the commercial market. At least in my recent experience G2 has been difficult to find.
    I’ve noticed that as well, it’s been difficult to source for quite a while now. A few years ago I stocked up on 600 rounds of it when it was $40 per box on luckygunner. I personally have full confidence in the load, it’s just odd to see so many mixed reviews.

Tokarev
    07-14-2020, 08:17 AM
    Just announced late last week is a contract with Speer for a new 147gr load to accompany CBP's transition to the Glock. The new bullet is the Speer G2SR. I haven't seen any of the ammo yet (and likely won't for some time) but it is rumored to be a nickle plated case and a black oxide bullet. I believe this was done as a way to allow easy visual verification that duty ammo is being load/used vs training ammo. In years past CBP used Federal XM40 that was basically Federal HST without the nickle plated case. Training ammo was a Winchester 180gr FMJ with a purple stain to denote that it was training use only. Aside from that possibility, there could be some corrosion/tarnish benefit to the black coating.

Anyway, ammo testing was conducted by NIJ Labs with the following results:

SPEER 147gr G2SR

Muzzle Velocity 913 FPS (no note of barrel length)

Bare Gel: 14.4” .654” expansion 100% retained weight

Heavy Clothing: 15.9” .623” expansion 100% retained weight

Steel: 14.8” .507” expansion 100% retained weight

Auto Glass: 14.7” .465” expansion 78% retained weight (114.4 gr)

The current loads being used for the Glock transition are a Speer 124gr Gold Dot +P and a Winchester 147gr Ranger. These loads will continue to be used until the new Speer comes online in 2021.

The above is a cut and paste from an earlier post in regards to DHS adopting the round. I also heard rumors of failures but the ammo is issued out in wide spread use by a bunch of agencies. I’ve also heard rumors about the current gen hst etc. IDK I’d carry whatever I had issued to me. and trust NIJ and whoever else is testing these rounds knows their job.

Site Supporter
    I’ve noticed that as well, it’s been difficult to source for quite a while now. A few years ago I stocked up on 600 rounds of it when it was $40 per box on luckygunner. I personally have full confidence in the load, it’s just odd to see so many mixed reviews.
    When the G2 first came out there were QC issues. A fair amount of the early production ammo was recalled and sold in bulk as factory seconds.

I recall that within the first year or two of the bureau issuing G2, there were frequent issues with the “goo” filling the hollow points falling out when carried for a while.

I’m assuming that issue was addressed. ?

While G2 is still on the books as an approved duty round nationally, locally the field office in my city is using critical duty.

User Tag List