View Poll Results: What's in your Cylinder? (Multiple Choice allowed 3+1 Categories given)

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • None of my Magnums actually get Magnums anymore

7 14.89%
  • Mid recoil 125 gr Golden Saber

11 23.40%
  • Mid Recoil 125 gr Critical Defense

0 0%
  • Full Power 125 gr SJHP

6 12.77%
  • 135 gr Critical Duty

6 12.77%
  • 145 gr Silvertip

9 19.15%
  • 158 gr SJHP

10 21.28%
  • 158 gr Hydrashok

1 2.13%
  • New Kid on the Block 154 gr HST

2 4.26%
  • Something Heavier or Hardcast for Woods/Animal Defense!

8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your .357 Magnum Carry Ammo?

What's your .357 Magnum Carry Ammo?

Yes, plagiarized because the other thread is both fun and informative.
    What's in your cylinder?

.357 is even more interesting because to me you can put them in 3+1 catagories
    Wheelies less than 21oz
    Wheelies less than 30oz
    Wheelies more than 30oz

+What goes in the cylinder for just woods/animal defense purposes if you do that? Or if you are in and around town and need to worry about both do you select something that would work fairly well on both?

1. 1. None of my Magnums actually get Magnums anymore
    2. 2. Mid recoil 125 gr Golden Saber
    3. 3. Mid Recoil 125 gr Critical Defense
    4. 4. Full Power 125 gr SJHP
    5. 5. 135 gr Critical Duty
    6. 6. 145 gr Silvertip
    7. 7. 158 gr SJHP
    8. 8. 158 gr Hydrashok (or Gold Dot I should have added)
    9. 9. New Kid on the Block 154 gr HST
    10. 10. Something Heavier, Soft Point, or Hardcast for Woods/Animal Defense!
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 02-29-2024 at 09:23 PM.

Since most of my threats run on 4 legs, 158 SJSP or 170 SWC loaded in .38 cases to .38-44 velocities. A 2 legged varmint isn't gonna notice that I'm not using a "defensive" round.

HSM 180 grain Lead RNFP Hard Cast Gas Check Bear Load. Because you gain 1 x D10 damage points for every word in the name 😜

Well that and I'm looking for woods carry penetration, the recoil impulse is less sharp than a lot of lighter .357, and it groups well in most of my .357's.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I almost never carry a full sized revolver anymore but my 5” GP100 is loaded with 145 Silvertips. My SP101 is loaded with CorBon 110 grain loads.

I note the conspicuous absence of the speer 135 gr reduced recoil load.

All my .357 needs can be met by:
    Speer 135 gr GDHP
    Golden Sabre 125 in the same power range
    Silvertip 145

And hardcast 180 gr semi wadcutter.

If we add lever actions to this, then 158 gr SJHP too.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

145 grain STHP.

Woods carry is a stiff charge of 4227 under the 158-grain SJHP.

The silver tips would likely fill this role too. But they’re too expensive to practice with.

BTW, “What’s In Your Cylinder” is copyrighted. You’ll be hearing from my cousi…I mean…lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    145 grain STHP.

Woods carry is a stiff charge of 4227 under the 158-grain SJHP.

The silver tips would likely fill this role too. But they’re too expensive to practice with.

BTW, “What’s In Your Cylinder” is copyrighted. You’ll be hearing from my cousi…I mean…lawyer.
    Thank you for your understanding, I hope you don't mind me jumping on this figuring out how to run a Poll.
    While the Silvertips would take care of a large dog/cayote/mountain lion, If I was Moose/Bear type country 154 would be the lowest weight I would go though I am certainly not an expert regarding animal defense. Even cheaper 158 sjhps seem to do rather well as far as deep penetration with mild expansion. The HST looks like it would be a good in and around towns in the NW type of load to do everything.

And, .357 carbines certainly become interesting...where they optimize velocity about 18" so a 16" is pretty close to 20" velocity I believe...158 sjhp or harder jhps...gold dots/xtps/critical duty I am sure all would perform well. I wasn't even thinking the Carbine Category. Has anyone done any Jug testing w/357 carbines? Anything learned there? I have watched a few videos on the subject. Does anyone use a .357 Lever for HD or have it for your wife/kids to use? A 16" is short/handy and lightweight. 20" still pretty much so and a couple more rounds.

And yes, I am sorry for forgetting about the low recoil 135 gr gold dot (suppose the Mild 357s Gold Dot/Golden Saber/Critical Defense could be grouped together), and the 158 Gold Dot could probably be grouped with the 158 HS or other JHPs.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 03-01-2024 at 12:02 AM.

AE 158 JSP

Mostly because I still have the better part of a case left and I don’t shoot or carry magnums very often. But the AE shoots well and I have little doubt it’s up to the task if I contribute to everything else.

So probably a lousy addition to the poll.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    AE 158 JSP

Mostly because I still have the better part of a case left and I don’t shoot or carry magnums very often. But the AE shoots well and I have little doubt it’s up to the task if I contribute to everything else.

So probably a lousy addition to the poll.
    Cheers, I added JSP to the bottom part w the Heavier, Soft Point, or Hardcast for Woods/Animal Defense in the main post but don't know how to add it to the poll part.

For myself...
    In the under 21 oz category so say 605 or 640 I'd use one of the the three lower recoiling Mid recoiling .357 loads. In any of the really light J-frames I'd use .38+p instead.

In the under 30oz category for biped defense anything 125-145 sjhp/jhp.

I don't really have to worry about woods/animal defense but if I did, I'd use a larger 34-38 oz kind of Revolver, if it was in and around cities I'd use either the HST or a 158 sjhp.

IF, If I was one of the really out there in Bear/Moose country I'd want heavier 170/180 which I believe do damn good? Perhaps better than .44 mag? Though, I wonder if the 10mm/.41 Mag would actually be ideal diameter with the right loads for such purpose which I believe would be the actual case.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 03-01-2024 at 12:12 AM.

Site Supporter
    Since most of my .357 are k frames I have been carrying the High Desert Cartridge .357 158 grain XTP. It is loaded more like a .38 but no carbon ring left in the cylinder. The only .357 I carry a full magnum cartridge in is my GP-100 and that is the barnes copper 125 grain load. Recoil isn't horrible and it hits POA/POI at 25 yards in my GP100.

User Tag List