View Poll Results: What’s your .38 Special carry ammo?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Target wadcutter

39 36.11%
  • Full charge wadcutter

19 17.59%
  • FBI load (any brand)

21 19.44%
  • Federal 130 HST

0 0%
  • Remington 125 Gold Saber

2 1.85%
  • Speer 135 Gold Dot

37 34.26%
  • Winchester 130 PDX

1 0.93%
  • Winchester 130 Ranger

10 9.26%
  • Winchester Train & Defend

0 0%
  • Other

15 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your .38 Special carry ammo?

Currently 135 Gold Dot in the SP101 and the 856.

GA snub 148 WC in the M37.

I've got some High Desert ammo to try out, and haven't yet sourced some of Lost River's offerings.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Looks like enough votes to call it for the humble Target Wadcutter.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Wads in shorts...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I’m all over the map, since I have 2” Js, 3” Js, and all sorts of medium frame barrel lengths in .38-only chambering. For example, in a 2” J, I like BB full wadcutter—which also prints well in my 36-6. My 3” 36-1 has been carried all over the inland west with old school Remmy FBI, so that’s still in use, along with GDHP 135 +P, which is also vetted in that gun. K-frames are 135 GDHP in 3” guns, and Remmy FBI in 4”, because it hits to the tip of the front sights like they were synced to my eyeballs. Speed Six will take anything, so that’s where I put BB’s “RCMP” load—essentially a hotter FBI 158gr LSWCHP +P. I therefore voted for three options: full wadcutter, GDHP, and “FBI”

.357 is almost as diverse, but that’s another thread.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Doh! BB = Buffalo Bore.

My cast-bullet brain was wondering if people were rolling their own “Bevel Base” wadcutters🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    +P in longs?

130 gr. +p Hydrashok Deep performs in all the barrel lengths app. 13-16" & hits close POA/POI in most. 130 & 132 gr FMJ can be used for training if desired, or 158's may hit just a bit higher revolver dependent.

.357 could be it's own thread, as even more dependent on weight of the revolver & if it's woods carry or not.

Site Supporter
    The snubs currently have 150gr Underwood wadcutter with 130gr Winchester PDX1 in speed strips for reloads. When the Underwood supply is depleted, I'm probably going to get the Georgia Arms 148gr wadcutters a try.

Only other .38 I curently have is an old Taurus Model 83 that predates being rated for +P Ammo so if that were to be carried, there's a supply of Hornady 110gr Critical Defense for it.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    Ranger Bonded in my 642 and 4" M10-5 because it hits to the sights and in my M67 because I can't screw the rear sight down far enough to zero with 158s.

R-P wadcutters in the M49 with AE 158-grain RNLs in the speedloader and speed strip.

The R-P version of the FBI load in my 3" and 4" guns (including my M19).
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Ranger Bonded in my 642 and 4" M10-5 because it hits to the sights and in my M67 because I can't screw the rear sight down far enough to zero with 158s.

R-P wadcutters in the M49 with AE 158-grain RNLs in the speedloader and speed strip.

The R-P version of the FBI load in my 3" and 4" guns (including my M19).
    Ok, an honest question to everyone regarding lead...
    Depending on where I'm going and what doing a speedloader in a belt speedloader holder might have some 158sjhps in them. But for a speedstrip that might go in jeans, or similar stuff in coat pockets I don't like the thought of lead shaving off in there being in my clothes. Constant lead exposure vs very small percentage chance of needing a revolver reload so I'd rather some JHPs that I know won't really expand and hit a little low vs having lead in a pocket...at least that's what I've told myself. Just throwing it out there, since seeing post about RNL reloads makes me wonder. I guess in belt loops or in a belt holder ok, but in pockets is not ok to my brain.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 02-28-2024 at 03:14 PM.

User Tag List